• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    I'm reading a book by Daniel J. Levitin intitled The World in Six Songs How the musical brain created human nature. He is a professor of psychology and neuroscience.

The book is quite readable. It is interesting and entertaining at the same time and Levitin often brings a touch of humor with his examples. He talks about how powerful music is in our personal daily lives and also on a societal point of view. He basically says that music communicates ideas and emotions on six levels: comfort, joy, love, religion, knowledge, and friendship. Highly recommended.

http://www.sixsongs.net/
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I've been reading Roger Moore's biography Forever James Bond .
    It's starts from his childhood , goes through his theatre years , then his first movies followed by The Saint & The Persuaders and all the way through the Bond's and his UNICEF work .
    And a fun and entertaining read it is .
    Recommended !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just finished reading AZINGCOURT by Bernard Cornwall, superbly written and incredibly visceral novel about one of the greatest victories in English history, Cornwall get's his historical facts as spot on as possible, the man really knows his stuff. The battle scenes are amongst the most well described I've read, no hollywood 'knights in armour' glamor here, this is sweaty, grimy, smashed brains and spilt guts, hacked bodies shit your pants in fear stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Gents, there already is a thread for this! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You can never have enough book threads wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed...in principle.
    Though with the frequency of reading here (or at least posts attesting to it), I fear two threads are already overkill.

I'll lock the other one, then.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    I just finished reading AZINGCOURT by Bernard Cornwall, superbly written and incredibly visceral novel about one of the greatest victories in English history, Cornwall get's his historical facts as spot on as possible, the man really knows his stuff. The battle scenes are amongst the most well described I've read, no hollywood 'knights in armour' glamor here, this is sweaty, grimy, smashed brains and spilt guts, hacked bodies shit your pants in fear stuff.

I'm intrigued. Thanks for the recommendation. cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Gents, there already is a thread for this! smile

I did a search before, I swear shame

I really did. Oh well... let's move on!

I was reading some more in my book (The World in six songs). People who have kids. Please make them listen to asian or other non-western orchestral music, it is that important!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm intrigued. Thanks for the recommendation. cool

I borrowed this book from a friend, it's not been released in paperback yet ( just thought I'd let you know wink )

A darn fine read and I learnt stuff along the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I got a new book of Sherlock Holmes stories written by other authors including one of my fav writers the Scottish Anne Perry.
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. A question to Steven and Peter (plindboe). Is there any physics and/or biology book you would recommend to a humanist, who doesn't have any idea of methodology of natural sciences?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Right now I am reading Hans-Georg Gadamer's Truth and Method (Wahrheit und Methode), one of the most important philosophical books of the last century and I heavily enjoy it. His vision of understanding (Greek hermeneutics, taken from a famous Aristotle treatise Peri hermeneias - "On Interpretation" (Latin, De interpretatione)) is something I dig, because he takes one of the major arts methodologies (understanding a work of art, originally through the author's biography or his cultural background) and tries to put it in an ethical interpretation. To me ethics (and aesthetics, I would say axiology in general) is the most important part of philosophy.

I also recently bought more of sociology, a science which heavily fascinates me. Books I've got are:

Howard S. Becker, Outsiders: Studies in the Sociology of Deviations
    Harold Garfinkel, Studies in the Ethnometodology
    Ferdinand Toennies, Gesellschaft und Gemeinschaft, famous for its differentiation between society and smaller (Gemeinschaft) social structures.

All of them in Polish translation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    I'm readibg a book by Bernard Cornwell, called The Last Kingdom. I've reached its middle and it seems pretty good actually. Also I've been studing some literature critisism as well as pedagogy and didactics. Both to be updated for my jod but also because I'm thinking to start my postgrad again.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A question to Steven and Peter (plindboe). Is there any physics and/or biology book you would recommend to a humanist, who doesn't have any idea of methodology of natural sciences?

Physics for the humanist? Hmm. I'm not sure about biology, but for a more humanistic slant, or at least philosophical slant, I would opt for a Paul Davies book. Perhaps something like The Mind of God - or my personal favourite Davies book; The Goldilocks Enigma. (A little more up to date than 'Mind of God'.)

He generally deals with the Big Questions of existence, and has a wonderfully positive view of life. He's a fantastic writer too, and although he never patronises the reader, he understands that certain ideas in physics need taking time to explain. His books are very good starting points if you want to delve deeper into physics and try something a little more detailed like Lisa Randall's Warped Passages, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe or Leonard Susskind's The Cosmic Landscape. (All 'string theory' books. I know... I'm horribly biased.)
  3. What's string theory?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm readibg a book by Bernard Cornwell, called The Last Kingdom. I've reached its middle and it seems pretty good actually. Also I've been studing some literature critisism as well as pedagogy and didactics. Both to be updated for my jod but also because I'm thinking to start my postgrad again.

I recently finished reading Bernard Cornwall's Azingcourt which was a fantastic read. The book you're reading is the first in a series and I'm really tempted myself to give them a go, Cornwall really does his historical research and keeps things as near to reality as possible, people wanting realistic depictions of Vikings should start here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Finishing up my Baker Street Mystery book and on the whole I found it enjoyable, well worth the $2 I spent for it.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What's string theory?

Superstring theory, technically. A possible quantum theory of gravity and a proposed "theory of everything". Originally based on the idea that everything at its smallest scale is made from oscillating 'strings' of energy which give rise to different particles depending on their shape (open or closed) and their frequency.

Then there's the extension of string theory with Edward Witten's M-theory (the 'm' still awaiting a proper name), a theory of 11 dimensions as opposed to the original 10 dimensions string theory proposed (M theory's 10 spacial dimensions + 1 time dimension = 11 dimensions in total). One basic idea of this stupendously complex subject is we could be living on a 3 dimensional 'brane' floating around in a higher dimensional space. For ease of visualisation, imagine a sheet of paper (a 2 dimensional object for all intents and purposes) floating around in your room. The room represents higher dimensions, and the sheet of paper represents our 3D universe. Imagine what could happen if two sheets of paper met! (Which is actually called a 'big crunch' theory.)
  4. How about

Mygodthatscomplicated-theory? lol

I will try to find those books, cheers.

I am recently into philosophy and social sciences a lot, so I would like to expand my horizons smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In that case, with physics at least, go for a Paul Davies book! (In fact, it was that author who got me interested in physics in the first place.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    For now I'll stick with Sherlock Holmes
    • CommentAuthorAD
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Yesterday, I finished reading What I was by Meg Rosoff.
    Set in Eastern England during the early 1960s, the story revolves around a boarding school boy with cynical views towards education and society, however, his life changes drastically when he meets a kid who lives alone on a hut at the beach and who doesn't attend school. The main character's obsession with his friend's life style gradually gives way to ultimate friendship.
    The book is reminiscent of Catcher in the Rye in the sense that the most important parts go through the character's head without being expressed. Good read though.
    I finally have time for a second read of The Kite Runner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited
    I'm currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Typical Brown I should say. Well written, mysterious and with plenty food for thought.

The second book I'm reading and I absolutely love since it's in my field of interest form my university days is J. R. R. Tolkien's The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún. Excellent! Truly excellent! It's Tolkien's own version of the legends of the North, mostly know as the The Ring of the Nebelungen.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´m still reading A Game of Thrones, the first book in George R.R. Martin´s fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, soon to be - hopefully - a TV series from HBO. I´m having a lot of fun with this and can´t wait to see the adaptation, especially since some of the characters really got a killer casting, including Sean Bean and Lena Headey.

The book centers on a rather large bunch of characters (and has hundreds more), but they are all so well defined and get to your heart with lightspeed that you can´t help but cheer for all of them. The problem is: They are not on the same side.

This book really is a treat for everyone who loves stories about dynasties, intrigue, knighthood, medieval politics, heraldry, and such stuff. For now, the fantasy aspect is at a very low level. Instead you get realistic violence and some interesting and probably disturbing stuff in the sex area as well.

Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    It sounds very interesting Ralph! I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly I have that one laying about as well, on recommendation of a good friend of mine.
    Never got 'round to actually reading it, as I'm pretty much "fantasy'd out", but I might give it a shot nonetheless now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Currently reading a book called "1001 filmer du må se før du dør"/"1001 Movies You Need To See Before You Die", a Christmas gift.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm currently reading THE LAST KINGDOM by Bernard Cornwell.

Power struggles between English and Viking conquerers from 866 AD onwards, as usual, Cornwell knows his history and dresses it in great drama.

Like Martijn, I'm all fantasy'd out and have been on a more historical kick recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I read it sometime before and I really enjoyed it Tim. You know I'm a fantasy girl but anything that has to do with Vikings and the British terrain is definately my cup of tea! British literature and history is my domain.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    beer

It's actually a series of books on loan to me from a friend, there's another three books to go yet, I'm just going to treat it as ONE huge novel.

Have you ever read LEGEND by David Gemmell?