• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That'd be James Newton Howard, if Zwick is involved.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    The Postman Always Rings Twice/James Cain. The book is sooooooooo much better than the five films done.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    This week I was thinking of making a book tree. You know a tree like a family tree.
    You read a book and that one leads you to another book or even more different books. And so on.
    I started but it didn't work of course, because there are more things that make you read books than only books, so where to put those?

Anyway, I am now reading a funny and interesting book The Tao Is Silent by Smullyan. Funny guy. And taoism is interesting. It is what it is. There is just nature. And everything is part of nature. And by nature I mean really all there is.

Aside from explaining taoism related to anecdotes and quotes, he also clears up differences between typical western ways of thinking and eastern ways of thinking. And the dialogue Is God A Taoist? is classic. Very interesting piece about free will and determinism.

Another chapter that interests me personally is about the dilemma: accepting who you are or trying to make yourself a better person.

Another chapter is about being a mirror of the universe (reminds me of Indra's net...). He then talks about social phenomena like how people who judge you reflect their own personality on you and the other way: how you behave differently with different people and things like that.

I like philosophy but sometimes the ratio tires me. I like logic but sometimes logic makes no sense at all. Life is just life, it is what it is! Taoism is like the ultimate trust in life. And even trust is too judging, it's just life.

Interesting little book for people interested in philosophy and life view. It's entertaining.
  2. I have just finished reading Mark Kermode's "The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex" where, amongst other things he moans about 3-D films, laments on the loss of cinema projectionists and dwells on the public's general rejection of quality films that are subtitled and preference for inferior Hollywood remakes. Very enjoyable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Another chapter that interests me personally is about the dilemma: accepting who you are or trying to make yourself a better person.

I suddenly remember something else from that chapter. Question for you all:

Do what you like or like what you do?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Do what you like when you can.
    Like what you do when you must.

Sounds like a cop-out, but to me it isn't.
    The priority is on the first as much as possible, but at times it simply cannot be helped: shopping needs to be done, rent needs to be paid, jobs have to be finished.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    If you can learn the second one, there will be less need for the first one...

I don't want to say too much about it yet, because I put up a poll on Facebook. Curious what people will vote!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    If you can learn the second one, there will be less need for the first one...

Hmmmm....
    Of course you are completely correct in that when someone truly is able to learn to love what he's are doing.
    But how often does that happen (when you don't like the tasks/jobs in the first place)?

I rather meant that I try my hardest to find whatever joy it is I can in a job/task that doesn't appeal to me.
    It can be as simple as trying to do it in a secluded spot where I can play my music.
    It may be that I am able to manipulate some fringe aspects into things I do like.

But if you truly meant starting out on a job/task you don't like and then teach yourself to love it, then no. I don't think I am strong enough to change my preferences so greatly!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    Smullyan says something like that as well, except he reasons that when you force yourself to like what you do, it won't be just 'what you do' anymore, it would be a forced doing.

I think he means by 'things you do' things you'd do naturally, as in a flow and perhaps as 'what you like naturally'.

No one answered my poll. rolleyes
    Facebook can be a lonely place. Everyone just posting their own stuff...

Man, I wish I had some funny crazy excentrics in my life such as Raymond Smulllyan! I read a few more chapters (the chapters are really short, 1-3 pages) and I laugh my ass off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Smullyan says something like that as well, except he reasons that when you force yourself to like what you do, it won't be just 'what you do' anymore, it would be a forced doing.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Like I said above: I don't even think I could.
    I know -theoretically- it's possible. Like it's possible to "learn to love" someone (seen that happen in my direct surroundings where a girl got married for solely pragmatic reasons to a guy she confessed not even liking very much. A few years later they are thoroughly in love.).
    I just don't think I could do it.

Very, very true.
    Especially with the latest style change, it's just whatever you happen to catch from whoever happens to be online that you can react to. My Facebook usage has slowed down considerably due to that (even though I created several lists of people I really do want to follow and know what's going on in their lives. But even that is dodgy as the overview remains unclear.)

Man, I wish I had some funny crazy excentrics in my life such as Raymond Smulllyan! I read a few more chapters (the chapters are really short, 1-3 pages) and I laugh my ass off.

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that for all the entertainment value and intellectual stimulation, they can also be extremely exhausting! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Michael 'Lincoln Lawyer' Connelly wrote a series of books about Harry Bosch a L.A. homicide investigator. This one is called "The Narrows" about a killer called the poet. Not a great read but enough of an interest to keep me turning the pages.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Like I said above: I don't even think I could.
    I know -theoretically- it's possible. Like it's possible to "learn to love" someone (seen that happen in my direct surroundings where a girl got married for solely pragmatic reasons to a guy she confessed not even liking very much. A few years later they are thoroughly in love.).
    I just don't think I could do it.

Very, very true.
    Especially with the latest style change, it's just whatever you happen to catch from whoever happens to be online that you can react to. My Facebook usage has slowed down considerably due to that (even though I created several lists of people I really do want to follow and know what's going on in their lives. But even that is dodgy as the overview remains unclear.)

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that for all the entertainment value and intellectual stimulation, they can also be extremely exhausting! dizzy

I found Facebook did much harm to me:

1. Ate up too much time looking at stuff I wasn't even interested in. Just mechanically clicking on stuff and more stuff.
    2. Got angry bupy the stupidity of some people.
    3. Got estranged from my friends because I saw a couple of posts and photos and thought that I wouldn't have anything to talk about when I met them face to face. So I didn't meet with them.

I was so wrong.

I shut it down and found piece of mind.
    Picked the phone up and met with my friend in the end. So happy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    I found Facebook did much harm to me:

1. Ate up too much time looking at stuff I wasn't even interested in. Just mechanically clicking on stuff and more stuff.
    2. Got angry bupy the stupidity of some people.
    3. Got estranged from my friends because I saw a couple of posts and photos and thought that I wouldn't have anything to talk about when I met them face to face. So I didn't meet with them.

I was so wrong.

I shut it down and found piece of mind.
    Picked the phone up and met with my friend in the end. So happy.

Interesting post, D. And I understand what you say.

I had been thinking about deleting my account too. It was in June when my seven weeks vacation started. I thought 'Shall I delete it or invest some more in it?' I didn't do much with facebook back then, so it was either.

Although I can think of many principal reasons not to use facebook, I decided to update my account a little and search for more people to add. It brings good things and less good things. I try to manage it in a way that I only benefit from the good things.

I do not want facebook on my mobile, because the mobile is on 24/7 for calls of course. I look on facebook only when I'm on the laptop and I don't have automatic log in, so I really decide to go there, log in, look at updates or what I want, then I log out. (weird psychological difference between automatic log in and manual log in, isn't it?)

I block people whose posts annoy me. That does not mean I don't like these people! I just don't want their updates. Even if they are friends or family, when I don't like what they put up, I block their updates.

I only use facebook for sharing positive things. Like music, art, books, etc. I do not use facebook to post each state of mind I go through during the day and I do not post everything my children do or say!! Actually, I don't post anything about my family, except some pictures once in a while.

I found that it's interesting to follow some people that led me to more interesting things such as websites, music, books, whatever. There are some Dutch comedians I like to follow who post updates related to their work. I also discovered a wonderful sci-fi and fantasy artist Bob Eggleton who is on Facebook and posts a lot of his sketches and paintings and posts a lot in general. Some things are personal but I like his updates about his art. Then there is the music sharing like the MainTitles group. I don't post there often, but I read the posts and it has brought me good music and new stuff to discover. The same goes for the interviews and such posted recently on the Zimmer page for instance.

My profile is limited and I don't share many personal things. I like to follow some colleagues, it's nice to get to know them better and you have more things to talk about when you walk in on monday morning actually.

About real life contact, you know, I know it's important, but since a while I'm so tired of it. I just enjoy being at home and read or listen to music and spend time with the family. I think it will come back and then of course I will say 'I knew that this would be nice!' but for now... I only enjoy talking to my mother and sister. And there are people from my education/training years ago that I really loved, but they live everywhere and I'm not sure it is called friends... They were what I would imagine when I think of friends that would fit me.

I talked to my sister about this a while ago. We have the same social... thing. I think I have an irrealistic idea of friendship. Dreaming of people that would be a bit like me and would be nice friends. But that's an illusion. The real friends are in front of me but I just don't see it. I'm easily annoyed or bored by people, but that is because I don't give them a chance. I know how it works, but it's hard to change myself. Also, the better you are at chatting about nothing, the easier it is to make friends, that's how I often feel. Chat chat chat or you will be without friends. Makes sense because how can you find people who dont like that 'like myself and don't want to be found? And this stupid idea of mine that friends have to be alike. It doesn't have to be that way, I know, but I often feel very lonely when spending time with friends. Perhaps I don't give my whole self (I'm actually pretty sure that is the problem, I don't show myself and do not ask people any questions like 'how are you?' ). And it seems like I close up more each year.

Hm, will I end up as a bearded hermit after all? We always joke about that, about me living somewhere in a little shed al by myself with just my books and music, whahaha.
    wink

(and to Dutchies, yes, I also read Stine Jensen's Echte vrienden smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. Thought provoking post, Bregje. Thanks.

One question:
    Bregje wrote
    And it seems like I close up more each year.

Does that work for you?
    Is that what you like?

Reason I'm asking is that it's generally perceived as something less than positive.
    From your post it's hard to gauge whether it is something you're OK with, or something you'd want to change.

Hence my curiosity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I think I pretend I'm OK with it but I know I'm not. I'm not ashamed to say that I often feel lonely. Many people are though.
    smile

I read and think and write a lot about friendship. It is fascinating. What interests me is the chatty society we live in. If you talk, you are heard, obviously. So, if you don't like talking, you're sort of handicapped in a way.

Another weird thing: I've always felt more comfortable with older people than with people my own age. I also feel more comfortable with men than women. I often have a feeling I haven't met the right persons yet. But I know that's not true or there is no such thing as the right person to be a friend. It's the other way around: there is just a person and then you invest in it and it will become a friend. I know it works like that. Then why can't I just do it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Is it too late to change my personal smiley to :beardedhermit: ? biggrin
  3. What you say is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    I've never even been close to thinking about shutting my facebook account down. Quite the contrary, I'm there several times a day. It's such a useful tool for so many things that have relevance in my "real" life too -- from job contacts to various social events and a neat place to store some of your worthwhile photos etc. Since I don't currently have a girlfriend or family of my own, it's invaluable.

I remember being the first in my friend group to create an account in 2007, and when I asked them if they were there too, they had no idea what I was talking about and just laughed it away with a "not likely". Now 99% of them are there. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Is it too late to change my personal smiley to :beardedhermit: ? biggrin

No, but funnily it'll look exactly like a white tiger. wink

Bregje wrote
    I think I pretend I'm OK with it but I know I'm not. I'm not ashamed to say that I often feel lonely. Many people are though.

Yes. Odd, that, as it's a problem ever more widely spread (with more people getting older and socially isolated; with social media insinuating themselves to the level of face-to-face meetings while still missing massive, essential elements; with an ever decreasing reliability on social circles due to an ever greater emphasis on the individual).

What interests me is the chatty society we live in. If you talk, you are heard, obviously. So, if you don't like talking, you're sort of handicapped in a way.

True.
    It's even more complicated than that, as so much of verbal communication centers around formality and social roles ("meaningless" chit chat. I KNOW it serves a purpose and I DO understand that, but it ALWAYS annoys the F*CK out of me....and I know SO many people who seem to be LIVING talking like that ALL the time! dizzy )

But if you don't like to talk AT ALL, definitely you have many challenges in an occidental society.
    We rely SO much on words to define our social interaction that even I would be hard pressed to think of any valid alternatives!

It's the other way around: there is just a person and then you invest in it and it will become a friend. I know it works like that. Then why can't I just do it?

Generally it works like that.
    On the other hand the "emotional" connection certainly does happen.
    I didn't have to work at becoming friends with my best friends.

However over time I found I do need to work at remaining friends!
    (Distance, changed life styles, work pressure and time are great dividers!).
    And it does annoy me when all the work comes from one side. ...and at the same time I realise at times I haven't been the most communicative person either. Always with good reasons, but at some point that really doesn't matter any more, does it? shame

What I found, Bregje, is that for me it's so much easier to talk to people when I myself feel happy with myself (or at least content smile ) And this is also very connected to "keeping in practice"! Simply going out and talking to people at work, school, hobbies. Just, you know, normal (as in "accepted") social interaction. What you exude, you often get back. But I'm not sure this pertains to you at all: you seem so active in all facets of life!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks everyone for reading and for the replies. smile

Thor, I had a facebook account in 2007 too I think. First for the people I knew here! Then later on Dutch contacts started to use facebook too.

By the way, about the talking. I told my sister the same thing, how it is hard to make friends if you don't like social chit chat. But then she said, 'it's not true that you don't like talking. Because we talk a lot. It's just the people you talk with or the kind of talk!' That is true. That day my sister and I talked for six hours in a row and I knew she was right. I like talking. As long as I feel completely comfortable. And there is the real problem I guess. Only a few people make me feel comfortable enough. And it's not because of those people, I think it has to do with my own selfconfidence or something. And I really like being quiet too.

Wanna hear a weird thing? Last year I decided to have a little birthday party. Just some family and some friends. They were here and I did not feel comfortable at my own party! In my own house! With my own family and friends... How is that possible?
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Wanna hear a weird thing? Last year I decided to have a little birthday party. Just some family and some friends. They were here and I did not feel comfortable at my own party! In my own house! With my own family and friends... How is that possible?
    dizzy

A familiar physical context may help, but it's the social context -the interaction with the people- that prevails.
    And let's not forget the added burden of being a hostess: is everyone having a good time? Did I spend enough attention to everyone? Did everyone have enough to eat/drink? Ughhh... wall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's interesting, this discussion about 'social talk'.

I've always felt that an even balance between chit-chat and more serious discussion is vital in most settings I'm comfortable with. I don't like it when it's too heavy to either side. I have a friend who is nuts about politics, and will use every possibility to debate an issue (he's nuts about debates in general, and often plays the devil's advocate). That's fine and refreshing sometimes, but it can often be too much. Sometimes, you just want to put your hair back and shoot the breeze. Other times, I get frustratred because there's nothing but lame jokes and banter going back and forth. Then I'm bored.

Personally, though, I always feel that I need to have something worthwhile to say. Otherwise, I'll just shut up. So there are also periods at a party or whatever where I don't say anything for a long time.

I also feel it's the obligation of ALL people in a social setting to strive for topics that have widest possible relevance. It annoys me when my friends talk talk about cars for half an hour or more, as there are few things that interest me less. Same as if I were in a setting with one of you guys, but also external people who have no interest in film music. I would try my best to minimize the film music talk with you if those other persons don't have that interest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    You know what I would like? Pen pals. Like in the old days. Because I love writing! cheesy

I also love to read published letters between people like philosophers. Writing letters to eachother, is so much fun! I really love writing, I even wrote something about writing, how my thoughts flow directly to the paper (or screen, OK), instead of talking where they have to pass all kind of physical and social obstacles.

Sometimes I wonder about the future, if we will be able to communicate without physical presence. I can write faster than I think. No, I mean I write better than I talk. I tend to think I will be able to share much more that way. On the other hand, our physical presence is a huge part of who we are. So which way of communication will make me fully express myself in my entire being? If shyness is part of me and it will disappear when the physical context will disappear, will it be fully me then?

That was what my writing was about, in short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    It's interesting, this discussion about 'social talk'.

I've always felt that an even balance between chit-chat and more serious discussion is vital in most settings I'm comfortable with. I don't like it when it's too heavy to either side. I have a friend who is nuts about politics, and will use every possibility to debate an issue (he's nuts about debates in general, and often plays the devil's advocate). That's fine and refreshing sometimes, but it can often be too much. Sometimes, you just want to put your hair back and shoot the breeze. Other times, I get frustratred because there's nothing but lame jokes and banter going back and forth. Then I'm bored.

Personally, though, I always feel that I need to have something worthwhile to say. Otherwise, I'll just shut up. So there are also periods at a party or whatever where I don't say anything for a long time.

That's very recognizable Thor!

Sometimes I miss the childhood friendship. That you went over to a friend and just sat there both bored for hours. Let's go outside? OK, going outside walk a bit and be bored there too. Let's do a game. Deciding for an hour which game. Then it was time to go home. We did nothing but had a great afternoon. We had fun. Or we were just together in silence. It didn't matter. But most of all, in those days you simply had fun, whatever it was you were doing or not doing.
    hug
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not complaining but doesn't this thread have to do with books? Isn't this the thread for facebook?
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … /facebook/

I'm still into reading the Micheal 'Lincoln Lawyer' Connelly and his Harry Bosch character.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    You're right Tom! I don't remember how I got to this subject.
    Oh wait I do, the Smullyan book and then no one replied to my poll on facebook that had to do with the book...
    spin

After I finish my magazine I'll go read Dawkins' The World's Biggest Spectacle.
    I'm glad I don't have much fever with my head and eyes hurting, so I can still read!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011
    I really enjoy reading dialogues. Any recommendations?
    I'd love to be able to write them too. I'm this in this little writing club and we were just talking about it.

Like I mentioned the Smullyan book had some and of course Douglas Hofstadter's books. For Dutchies the Toon Tellegen books have funny dialogues, but technically that's not 100% dialogue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm, so wouldn't you enjoy reading plays?
    Just an idea?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm, so wouldn't you enjoy reading plays?
    Just an idea?

Yeah, plays and movie scripts are a great way to discover the ebb and flow of well-written dialogue.
    I am extremely serious.