• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013
    Just finished a book by Jeffrey Deaver call "The Empty Chair." His character Lincoln Rhyme (Bone Collector was made into a movie) deals with a character called insect boy and is one of those 500 page paperbacks you can't put down.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    I will go to the library today. Any recommendations?

Have you ever tried any Tanith Lee?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    I will go to the library today. Any recommendations?

Have you?

I've not read any but would be interested in some pointers if you have any?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited

No. I see my library only has four titles and something called Leowolf trilogy? Is it good?

I hadn't read any fiction books since years, probably since high school. With the first LOTR movie I read the LOTR, two years ago I reread The Hobbit and The Neverending Story. Then something I don't remember, then this year the Inkheart books.

I went to the library and got a lot:

Fiction:
    The adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    Nobody's Boy / Alone in the World - Hector Malot

I also got the two kids books that had something to do with Spinoza and Huygens.

Non-fiction:
    Three books about André Kuipers, one with mostly photos of the mission and one is his diary, sort of, and tells his story of the mission and of his life (Droomvlucht, het verhaal van André Kuipers - Sander Koenen).
    Betacanon, 50 things everyone should know about physics - Robbert Dijkgraaf

I'll start with the kids books, they look like it takes two evenings to finish them. Then I'm tempted to go for the André Kuipers book, it looks really good. And next week we will visit the NASA expo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I've not read any but would be interested in some pointers if you have any?

Bregje wrote

No. I see my library only has four titles and something called Leowolf trilogy? Is it good?

I have to admit I don't know that one.

Her style of writing and spinning a story really connects with me: It's a very feminine way of writing (so less concerned with action as with motivation and character, even if she does not shy away from archetypes). There is a strong sense of reading an old saga as not everything is explained (or needs explaining), and there sometimes -as with most sagas and legends- isn't a very defined end.
    She's not afraid of emphasising the darker sides of the human psyche: there's a dark sexuality to her work that either works for you or not (one of her more-often used plot devices is that of gender confusion), and she doesn't shun the odd violent scene.

My very favourites of her are a collection of books I strongly recommend: Tales From The Flat Earth. It's almost as if reading a twisted mahabharata, or a dark-mirror book of Greek and Roman Legends. It's a wonderful collection of tales that resemble (but are not quite) parables and sagas, morality tales with an unsettling twist.
    It's suitable for young adults, but I have to say I still get a kick out of these books. A truly fantastic (in the most literal sense of the word) and highly creative set of tales.

Another big favourite are The Secret Books Of Paradys, set a parallel late medieval times in a parallel Paris.
    A nightmare of seduction, these books are quite dark, more horror-oriented (although not always...and not quite...it's SO hard pigeonholing Lee, and this set of books utterly defies the effort!) than the set above, but no less intriguing as madness, grief, and fear are set pieces throughout each tale.
    It's not as epic -no demon lords or destiny-changing plots here- , but very strong still, with a markedly stronger sexual aspect.

It's a hard thing recommending anything by her.
    I found her work to be such an acquired taste that it's not easwy to predict who will like what kind of work by her.
    I also find her work varying wildly in quality or interest. For example, I find her acclaimed Birthgrave trilogy (which is proper sword & sandal fantasy) bored me to tears (I never did finish it).

But if you have ever read fantasy, it's very much worth seeking her out.
    Just to have a taste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? I'm not sure if that's my thing or not but I think I'll give it a try at some point.

Talking of horror, I was wondering if you'd ever read any Ramsey Campbell, Martijn? ( I'm guessing yes you have wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I just finished the first volume of A Song of FIre and Ice, reading it in the original English, but now I intend to go into something a bit else.

I am fascinated by the philosopher and psychologist William James, whose Pragmatism lectures have shaped a lot of my views. I have two of his books in original English, one which is huge, wasn't translated to Polish at all (the classic two volume Principles of Psychology) and another one, which was translated, but as a new Kindle owner, I could download the English original for free (Varieties of Religious Experience). I am very much looking forward to these reads.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Hmmmm? I'm not sure if that's my thing or not but I think I'll give it a try at some point.

Talking of horror, I was wondering if you'd ever read any Ramsey Campbell, Martijn? ( I'm guessing yes you have wink )

You guessed...wisely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited
    I can´t praise Lois McMaster Bujold´s Vorkosigan Saga enough. It´s both an entertaining and intelligent SciFi series with a really great main character and lots of very likable sidekicks. Think of a Tyrion Lannister-type character - smart, but physically challenged - give him two pure adrenaline shots, and provide him with a family who is both rich and loves to help him out when things get rough. And they usually tend to do wherever Miles is going.

You can either start with the first two books, Shards of Honor and Barrayar, for a great introduction to the universe, the world, and the family our hero is born into, or jump immediately to A Warrior´s Apprentice if you want the real deal right from the start.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013 edited
    Just wanted to say I'm enjoying Droomvlucht The Story of Astronaut André Kuipers a lot!

Reading about the launch made me think of how accurate and realistic Apollo 13 movie is, great movie. Had Horners The Launch in my head too while reading.
    wink

Also it was fun the read his story of moments I remember watching on TV. I watched a lot of press conferences and live streams and also the NASA live stream from launch day to docking day.

The huge amounts of training and training, years and years, is really impressive. And then all goes well, launch and docking, and then when they can finally relax a bit André realises how much knowledge and skills he has got after all those years and he will never use it.
    applause
  2. Anyone reading Star Wars expanded universe novels around here? This is what I have:

Darth Plagueis - James Luceno (currently reading)
    Outbound Flight - Timothy Zahn

The Phantom Menace - Terry Brooks
    Attack of th Clones - R.A. Salvatore
    Labyrinth of Evil - Matthew Stover
    Revenge of the Sith - James Luceno
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader - James Luceno

Han Solo Trilogy - A.S. Crispin:
    - The Paradise Snare
    - The Hutt Gambit
    - Rebel Dawn

The Han Solo Adventures - Brian Daily
    - Han Solo on Star's End
    - Han Solo's Revenge
    - Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

A New Hope - Alan Dean Foster
    Splinter in the Mind's Eye - Alan Dean Foster
    The Empire Strikes Back - Donald F. Glut
    Shadows of the Empire - Steve Perry
    Return of the Jedi - James Kahn

The Thrawn Trilogy - Timothy Zahn
    - Heir to the Empire
    - Dark Force Rising
    - The Last Command

The Hand of Thrawn - Timothy Zahn
    - Specter of the Past
    - Vision of the Future

I wonder how people get to write those novelizations. Apart from Brooks and Foster, writers, never heard of before or after.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Zahn has a few of his own books, but his fame is only due to the Thrawn Trilogy, which I read as a kid. Sadly, my brother borrowed one of the parts (the last one) and I don't have it anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    I think many of these writers have gained their spurs from writing those sixteen-volume AD&D knowck-off fantasy bombs or Star Trek novels. It's m,uch to do with who's under contract with any given publisher at one point, I guess.

I have pretty much everything from the Bantam era (which was pre-New Jedi Order and excludes most of the game (Knights Of The Old Republic) or prequel tie-ins).

It was kinda fun while it lasted.
    Zahn's overture with the Thrawn Trilogy back in the early nineties was a breath of fresh air after a decade of Star-Warslessness (hard to imagine these days!).

I think Allston's/Stackpole's X-Wing series is still one of the finest things in the expanded universe, as it really gave a good feel of a galactic battleground (and it read much like an updated Biggles, which it takes several strong leaves out of).

I see you have Daley's work as well, which was commissioned way before the "official" expanded universe.
    Daley got Solo down pat, even if he wasn't allowed to use any other Star Wars concepts (his invention of the Corporate Sector as a 'major villain' was quite clever though). You should check out -if you enjoy his work- his radio plays of the Star Wars trilogy. It expands and builds on the films, and they're generally really very worthy listens (even if I have the greatest difficulty getting past Brock Peters as Darth Vader).

I enjoyed several of these books a lot (mostly those by Keven J. Anderson, who wrote The Jedi Academy trilogy and Darksaber and incidentally did excellent work on Dark Horse's early, very good Star Wars comics), but more often than not, the books seemed too much 'by the number, and my interest waned within a few years.

And when they killed off Chewie I stopped buying them altogether.

For a fun read I can heartily recommend the short story anthologies (Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales from Jabba's Palace & Tales of the Bounty Hunters.) Generally good and poignant stuff, and better than the novels in that they generally explore the life and times of the cameo appearances from the films: we get to learn about some of the clientele of the Mos Eisley cantina (such as Greedo's woeful tale, and the sad life of the bartender), how Oola got to be Jabba's prime dancer and what Bib Fortuna's master plan was...
    Fun stuff!
  4. I've been a Tom Clancy fan for ages. I've read all the Jack Ryan books from Hunt for the Red October up to Teeth of the Tiger (Locked On and Threat Vector I ignored, because they were ghostwritten and anyway they are a loss of form, sadly).

Recently I happened upon (as a Kindle owner, it's much easier) two of my favorite books of the series in their original English. The first one needs a bit of explanation, the second one goes without saying as possibly the best novel alongside Clear and Present Danger and that one was made into a very average, if not in some aspects plain bad, movie.

The first novel is something that goes for ages with me. Back in 1995 a very odd computer game was released. Very odd, because of its roots, because of the used technique and because of the way it is played. The roots of the game is the series of Police Quest by Sierra On-Line, a kind of radical police procedural. Radical, because since the first game the whole game was not just a traffic cop becoming a detective and solving a crime (or rather series of crimes). To survive you had to stick to basic police procedures, which pissed many gamers off: You had to walk around your car to perform a check or else you'd get killed. You had to cuff a drunk driver from the backside (when he begs you to do it on the front) or else you'd get killed. You had to call for backup, leave the car ONLY when your backup arrives, prepare your gun, etc., or you'd get killed. A stakeout is something a police stakeout really is - waiting 5 minutes in total boredom until action happened and you'd have to react in 5 seconds to make necessary arrest. And so on. The game was created when a former cop dealing with a shooting incident that left him traumatized met with Sierra's boss. There were three sequels, the fourth prepared by Los Angeles' disgraced former Chief of Police Daryl F. Gates. The fifth was SWAT. It was an FMV game - filmed with proper cameras, using actors (Full Motion Video). It's weird, because the game is a sort of tactical shooter, which is hard to get into, because when you are in action (and before action you have to basically train your shit off, which is boring) you have about 2-3 seconds to do the right thing (without any hints!) or else you get killed or compromised. I loved the game and it started my huge interest and for some time passion in special operations/SWAT teams. This influenced a lot of things in my life, because based on this interest I watched The Rock (which has the main characters infiltrate Alcatraz with a SEAL team) and that's how my film music passion started.

Four years later, I started playing this game called Rainbow Six. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. While never having read a novel by that time, being some of a film geek already, I knew who he was and of course, who Jack Ryan was. So this game I really liked, I only found certain missions frustrating (having to infiltrate certain buildings undetected without being allowed to kill anyone) and because of them I wouldn't, well, finish. But the special operations geek was satisfied. Little did I know that Rainbow Six was also a Clancy novel (for those interested in the title: Rainbow is the name of the black counterterror team; Six is the designation of the commander of the team, Clancy's recurring John Clark, it's the second novel about him in the series). My parents bought me both volumes (it was released in two here) and I read it immediately and loved, having dreamed of making it into a movie for ages. John Woo voiced interest and was supposed to produce the film, but that makes me cringe. Woo is too stylized for this kind of operation and Clancy actually strives for realism. I've read it for like five times, but in English I actually liked it even more and found it more suspenseful.

The second novel is the one with the botched film adaptation. Sum of All Fears. After developing a perfect and seemingly working Middle East peace plan, Jack Ryan, DDCI (Deputy Director of Central Intelligence, and CIA's Director of Intelligence) must battle political issues and fight for his own family after the new National Security Advisor goes length to destroy his life, just because she doesn't like him. What helps her plans is the fact that she just started an affair with the president himself. In the mean time with help of a German and an American terrorist, a few Arab terrorists, unhappy with Ryan's peace plan (which he didn't get credit for), devise a plan to deliver and set off a nuclear bomb in America. There is no space in this already overlong post to say what is wrong with the movie, but basically a lot. The novel, epic in proportions, having very precisely developed plot, is great and the technical detail is just mesmerizing. There is a full chapter, which describes the chain reaction that leads to the bomb's explosion in minute detail (3-4 pages of describing things that take 30 nanoseconds). Reading this in its original English was also a beauty. While I think I prefer the Polish translation of the bomb explosion chapter, in general, it was better to read it so.
  5. I've read both of those. Sum of All Fears bored me with all the description of how to build a nuclear weapon, but I enjoyed everything else in it. Rainbow Six was good. I enjoyed that. My favorite Jack Ryan novels were Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger. Clancy has a gift for story-telling. I loved the way he lays out a bunch of character threads that begin separately and then converge during critical moments in the story.
  6. Yeah, that's true. Though Patriot Games had too much of these threads and I actually find the film much better. The reasons behind Sean Miller's actions in the movie are much more clear-cut, poignant and understandable (going with the family theme of the movie perfectly, too) than the political statement ULA makes in the film.

Also, what's good is just making the terrorists kind of worse PIRA than PIRA rather than a fictional organization trying to find its way.

Clear and Present Danger, well, how the hell could they have killed Dan Murray off will always escape me.

What do you think of Clancy's politics? From what I know he's making a huge controversy at this time, because he's basically Tea Party in his views. Though, interestingly, he was protecting the Arabs (and was very critical of the Bush administration) right after 9/11, because Debt of Honor had a very similar scenario to what happened on that day.

Sum of All Fears has the great feeling of paranoia at the end, when Ryan is desperately trying to avoid a nuclear war. Good also that Clancy made a dramatic point of the two-man-rule. I wonder if the writers of Crimson Tide didn't take a page from the book there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    I'm almost halfway through Hector Malot's Sans famille... man, sad story.

I think it is nice to finally read this famous story. To know who that Remi everyone knows is. I also enjoy the old fashioned language (I think it is the 1880 Dutch translation by Bloemink?) and the decency of it all.
  7. I finally bought an ebook reader. I decided against amazon's Kindle and choose the Tolino Shine instead. It's advertised by three German book chaines. I don't know if it is sold anywhere abroad, too. The system is much more open than the Kindle. Handling is a bit different from the Kindle, more touch screen, less knobs. The Display is just as good.
    I downloaded some epub free files today to play around with (Haggard, Stoker, Doyle, May (German), Scott, Polidori and Mary Shelley). So far everything is fine.
    I expect these type of device to evolve in the future. Maybe the ebook reader will merge with the pad. But I am not sure since the displays are rather different from each other.
    I am a classic book worm and this will not replace any printed book. But it seems to be a nice supplement.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013
    I imagine the two technologies will merge into one device, one that automatically detects whether it needs to use an ink display or a 'regular' HD display (or perhaps a screen that doesn't need to switch between the two and employs the best of both worlds into a single display).

Scientists, technologists... GO!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013
    I got bought Stephen King's Doctor Sleep as a belated present for a favour I did a friend.

Anyone reading this one? Thor or Martijn maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, that's true. Though Patriot Games had too much of these threads and I actually find the film much better. The reasons behind Sean Miller's actions in the movie are much more clear-cut, poignant and understandable (going with the family theme of the movie perfectly, too) than the political statement ULA makes in the film.

Also, what's good is just making the terrorists kind of worse PIRA than PIRA rather than a fictional organization trying to find its way.

Clear and Present Danger, well, how the hell could they have killed Dan Murray off will always escape me.

What do you think of Clancy's politics? From what I know he's making a huge controversy at this time, because he's basically Tea Party in his views. Though, interestingly, he was protecting the Arabs (and was very critical of the Bush administration) right after 9/11, because Debt of Honor had a very similar scenario to what happened on that day.

Sum of All Fears has the great feeling of paranoia at the end, when Ryan is desperately trying to avoid a nuclear war. Good also that Clancy made a dramatic point of the two-man-rule. I wonder if the writers of Crimson Tide didn't take a page from the book there.

Pawel, I never saw this reply to my post! Now that Clancy is gone, that makes coming back to this conversation kind of bittersweet.

As for Clancy's politics, I can't say much. I never followed the man's personal life. I can tell you that I think the tea party is very bad thing. I don't identify with either party in my country, though I lean more conservative than liberal. The tea party makes all conservatives look like crazies. They're pulling the republican party far more right than many are comfortable with, and alienating more and more independents. The tea party is making intelligent debate very difficult. They're just very inflammatory.

The end of SUM OF ALL FEARS was great. I see the CRIMSON TIDE connection there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I got bought Stephen King's Doctor Sleep as a belated present for a favour I did a friend.

Anyone reading this one? Thor or Martijn maybe?

I haven't, no. Been on my list for a long time. I'd love to hear your report (without spoilers, please!).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013
    I'm still reading two books simultaneously ( one of which is Justin Cronin's follow up to The Passage called The Twelve....both have strong shades of King's The Stand ) so it'll be a week or two before I pick it up, plenty of time for you to overtake me wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I never even knew about the book until about a week ago, I guess?
    I'll be sure to pick it up, though!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. I recommend Cronin's The Passage to both you, Martijn, and Thor.
  8. I wasn't sure where to ost this, so I'm sticking with a thread about books.

New book from film score sessions player Billy Mays:
    Stories of the Road, the Studios, Sidemen & Singers: 55 Years in the Music Biz

Excerpts:
    From "The Studios" chapter:

The music contractor at NBC, Al Lapin, was hilarious. He was, after comedian Norm Crosby, the king of malapropisms. Unlike Crosby, though, Lapin's were completely unintentional. Needing a synthesizer player on a Tonight Show segment he told the bandleader Doc Severinsen, "I have Bill Mays coming in to play his sympathizer." One of his other gems was "tell the guitar players to be sure to bring their ample-boxes." His best one, though, came when Severinsen told him to call trumpeter Al Vizzutti to come in and augment the brass section. Lapin was told by the answering service that Vizzutti was out touring with Chick Corea. Lapin reported back to Doc: "Couldn't get Al. He's out with some chick in Korea!"

From the "You-Can't-Make-This-Stuff-Up Dept." chapter:

Many years went by between the time I left L.A. and then reconnected with alto saxophonist Bud Shank. Then, in 2006 he was booked into New York's Iridium jazz club for a week. It so happens I got an ear infection a few days before our opening night. It worsened, and the day of the gig I went to The Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. I was in pain and could hear only slightly in one ear. The receptionist, a beautiful, well-endowed young lady was questioning me and filling out forms. Upon learning my occupation, she said, "Jazz? Wow, I love it. Iridium? My favorite club." I said, "Sounds like you must be a real jazz fan, am I right?" Without a word she reached her right hand over to the top of her sweater and pulled it down. On the upper third of her left breast she had a tattoo of an alto sax, complete with the keys, neck and mouthpiece. I think my ear cleared right up. I didn't dare ask her if she had a tenor sax on the other one.

I can picture the commercial for it now:

"Hi, BILLY MAYS HERE here for my new book..."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Surface Detail - A Culture Novel by Ian M. Banks (Peace be upon him.)

Just started reading. Capturing as ever.

Volker
  10. Why is it that a publisher (Bean) publishes a series of omnibus volumes (A. Bertrand Chandler - The John Grimes Saga) in different sizes? Volumes II, III and V are 19,6 cm high, volume I and IV are 17,1 cm high. That looks redicolous on the shelf.
    I had the same thing with the Culture sreries by Ian M. Banks (Orbit) those are three different sizes, no less: Small, smaller, very big, small again. In that order. What's the sense?

Volker
  11. New: an autobiography on the late film/TV composer Russell Garcia:
    http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php … uct_id=657
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. I am flicking through my recently acquired copy of Erik Heine's "Signs: A Film Score Guide", a recent addition to the excellent series of books in the Film Score Guides series ("Signs" is number 17 on the list).

And I was pleased to come across the following passage when the author is discussing the critical reception of the soundtrack's CD:

"The reviews of soundtrack CDs, particularly those that just involve score, are often limited to the online universe of blogs, often with reviews by people who listen almost exclusively to film scores, but not necessarily with the critical training that would be expected from a print publication. Multiple reviews can be found online for the soundtrack...the review at MainTitles.net (film music community) was originally published on December 29, 2010, over eight years after the soundtrack was released. Thomas Glorieux certainly praises the recording, making statements such as, "Signs above anything else is so brilliant, that with little Newton Howard [sic] can do so much." Certainly the writing is less acceptable than would be expected in a print publication."

Whilst I am very pleased that MainTitles.net (and Thomas) has made it into print (as has soundtrack.net, Filmtracks.com, Film Score Monthly and moviewave.net), I am struck by the very visible snobbishness of the author with regard to online vs print publications and, it seems to formal music training. The comments on Thomas' review has a note number associated with it and the note reads: "Thomas Glorieux...His profile on the website, which does not provide any credentials, can be viewed at..."

And, when talking about a review on Soundtrack.net (by Andrew Granade) Heine states, "[the review]...was written by Andrew Granade, currently Associate Professor of Music at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, but a graduate student at the time of the review...Granade provides a much deeper review than often appears on a website such as this, but that is due to his scholarly background rather than listening almost exclusively to film scores."

I look forward to delving a bit deeper into the book!

Well done to MainTitles.net, and to Thomas in particular. punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn