• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorRoy
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    With Tracks such as The Hunt and The Final Conflict can't be any different beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Now playing "Raiders of the lost ark". This album has some of the greatest themes ever composed for cinema, yet I can not fully enjoy it. Most of it is uninteresting underscore and Mickey Mousing. I think I'd enjoy a 20-minute release with concert versions of the main themes alot more than the actual score.

I don't think I've ever seen any film score fan utter the slightest critical word of "Raiders..." so I guess this is a first.

Peter smile

I think as a film score, it's impossible to fault. But as an album, I guess -themes aside- it's not for everyone. Definitely the type of score I love though, one of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I think as a film score, it's impossible to fault. But as an album, I guess -themes aside- it's not for everyone. Definitely the type of score I love though, one of my favourites.

I'm with you. I think it's brilliant as both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Parts of it certainly are very Mickey-Mousey, but the brilliance of Williams (for me) is the way he makes it so consistently musically interesting. One could also say that Back to the Future is very Mickey-Mousey, but that is nowhere near so genuinely musical.

Both Raiders and Back To The Future are "genuinely musical."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Parts of it certainly are very Mickey-Mousey, but the brilliance of Williams (for me) is the way he makes it so consistently musically interesting. One could also say that Back to the Future is very Mickey-Mousey, but that is nowhere near so genuinely musical.

Both Raiders and Back To The Future are "genuinely musical."

-Erik-

I agree, apart from the bit about Back to the Future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

Agreed. It's surely one of the greatest film scores ever composed. But solely as a listening experience, not so much. To me, mickey mousing on album always seems like alot of unfulfilling and incomplete fragments edited together at random. Of course when you watch the movie, you realize it's not random, but random is how it appears when you listen to it as an album outside of its intended context. I love Mickey mousing in movies, on albums I find it almost unlistenable.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Twisted Valentine is a new digital release from Silva which I'm doing a short review on. I believe it will be digital only.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Now playing "Raiders of the lost ark". This album has some of the greatest themes ever composed for cinema, yet I can not fully enjoy it. Most of it is uninteresting underscore and Mickey Mousing. I think I'd enjoy a 20-minute release with concert versions of the main themes alot more than the actual score.

I don't think I've ever seen any film score fan utter the slightest critical word of "Raiders..." so I guess this is a first.

Peter smile

I have actually been expounding the virtues of the original album release over any subsequent version ever since 1999 or so...but I realize my type of ranting and raving may be too subtle to be noticed. angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I have actually been expounding the virtues of the original album release over any subsequent version ever since 1999 or so...but I realize my type of ranting and raving may be too subtle to be noticed. angelic

The original album plays well indeed... but the edits are atrocious!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SALVADOR - Georges Delerue

A damn fine score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Back To The Future Alan Silvestri

Southall's right. Not a note to be found!

Edit: Actually, I'm not in the mood. Instead:

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

Purely to be controversial, I think this is better than The Rocketeer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Back To The Future Alan Silvestri

Southall's right. Not a note to be found!

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

And then CASPER surpasses both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Controversial! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Unspeakable!

It's the best score Goldsmith never composed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

I prefer Name of The Rose. srsly
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shit just got real...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

Freedom Song. BEST. SCORE. EVER!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    NP: WAR - AVATAR - HORNER

Back In the days I started to listen to Film Music and My Two favorites Were Horner and Zimmer I was Dreaming about a score written By Those Two together. This Track along with Gathering all the Na'vi clans for battle Is Like A Dream Come True although Zimmer hasn't got anything to do with It, of course wink Anyway Just Love It punk
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

-Erik-

Are You Sure?!? DON'T Forget about Up From The Depths cool
  1. Or The Forgotten!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    The Forgotten Is not forgotten by Me, so It's defenetely Not among The greatests wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    Twisted Valentine is a new digital release from Silva which I'm doing a short review on. I believe it will be digital only.

What are some of the selections Tom? Is it any good?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

The Pagemaster
    James Horner

-Erik-

Now wait a minute. Have you been using this ironic mode all these years when talking about Back to the Future? Suddenly things become clear! We've been in agreement for all this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    NP: Air Force One - Randy Newman

Some very good action passages here. Not as patriotic as Jerry's replacement score, but still worth while, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Sensual World - Kate Bush

Giving this a spin, then I'm off to bed. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Sensual World - Kate Bush

Giving this a spin, then I'm off to bed. cool

You must be tired!? wink

wrong thread
  2. So what other scores has Kate Bush composed? dizzy wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Oh Christ. shame
  3. Off to sleep you... wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.