• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

I've fallen in love ... I can't stop listening to it...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. I think I did too!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. But Stavi, I hope you fell in love with Alexandre, not Edward or, for that case, Robert?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But Stavi, I hope you fell in love with Alexandre, not Edward or, for that case, Robert?

I've fallen in love with Alexandre's music... yet once again as I had before...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. wink I know.
  4. NP: New Moon (Desplat)

Now that I've had a chance to digest this a bit, it isn't one of Desplat's strongest for me. It has some great stuff, but isn't always punching at his dramatic best. The main theme is a great idea, the love theme is truly special, and there's some great stuff elsewhere (e.g. 'To Volterra', and 'Edward Leaves'). But parts of it do feel a bit drawn out on its own, and I wouldn't mind if the album were 10-15 minutes shorter, a first for me with this composer. (I don't get a great deal out of the lengthy 'The Volturi' and their waltz definitely feels like an under-developed idea to contrast the gentle minimalism of the main character's world.) Definitely Cheri (also for a fairly average film) has the edge this year for me. His score for that is one of his best. Also Un Prophete, where every moment feels like it matters.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. NP: iTunes shuffle takes me through some of the highlight scores of my year... Alexandra, Tetro, Cheri, Coco Avant Chanel, Adoration, New Moon, Public Enemies, Battlestar Galactica Season 4 (and 'Daybreak'), Agora, Baaria, Un Prophete, Up, Et Apres, Home, Julie+Julia, Ashes of Time Redux, Un Homme et son Chien. On this tour, the art of film scoring seems to be alive and well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

Fantastic. One of the scores of the year, no question.

I agree. For me, so far this is THE score of the year. A beautiful work.
  6. NP: 'To Volterra!' from New Moon

The second half of the cue is definitely one of Desplat's most gripping. I somehow wish more of the score was this strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Terminator Salvation - Danny Elfman

Very loud.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I want to listen some score with electric guitars and percusion....some kind of "blunt instrument" in his whole lenght.

Any recomendation? dizzy
  7. Broken Arrow
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Broken Arrow

Nope.this one is more techno.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    I want to listen some score with electric guitars and percusion....some kind of "blunt instrument" in his whole lenght.

Any recomendation? dizzy

Try this
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Broken Arrow

And shit.
  8. I actually love it. Zimmer's best pure actioner to me. More melodic and better than The Rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Any recomendation? dizzy

Danny Elfman's WAnted. OR Chris Young's GhostRider.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Broken Arrow

And shit.

biggrin
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: New Moon (Desplat)

Now that I've had a chance to digest this a bit, it isn't one of Desplat's strongest for me. It has some great stuff, but isn't always punching at his dramatic best. The main theme is a great idea, the love theme is truly special, and there's some great stuff elsewhere (e.g. 'To Volterra', and 'Edward Leaves'). But parts of it do feel a bit drawn out on its own, and I wouldn't mind if the album were 10-15 minutes shorter, a first for me with this composer. (I don't get a great deal out of the lengthy 'The Volturi' and their waltz definitely feels like an under-developed idea to contrast the gentle minimalism of the main character's world.) Definitely Cheri (also for a fairly average film) has the edge this year for me. His score for that is one of his best. Also Un Prophete, where every moment feels like it matters.

I always have weird preferences when it comes to some track. My personal favorite fragment is a chord progression for strings with piano in The Cullens. I like the score, somewhat warmer than the usual Desplat performance. It's really lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    To me it has a fairy tale quality. I got the chance to listen to it again on my way to work. The love theme is pure magic and the main theme bliss! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have this suspicion that there is more to the score album of New Moon than there was in the film...I haven't heard the album yet but the film was so full of pop songs that I can't imagine there was much more than an hour of score in it. Can anyone who has heard both confirm this?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

One of my favourites, playing after quite a long time. Breathtaking! cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Amelia - Gabriel Yared

I like the main theme for Amelia, with its kind of soft-spoken romanticism. In fact, the whole score seems so content to be as gentle as possible when it's not trying to churn through the suspense sequences, that it feels like a score to two different movie. Regardless, the very soft, charming theme wins and makes it a worthwhile listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.hcsf.com/

The website of the group who performed the Cool Yule album which I'm in the process of reviewing.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Legends of the Fall (Horner)

Always a pleasure to return to it. I'm a sucker for the big sweeping ones.

Some of his most developed themes ever and in my Horner Top 5 for sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Twilight Saga: New Moon - Alexandre Desplat

It had been a long, LONG time since Desplat has completely floored me emotionally with any of his work. Well, I'm still only a few tracks in but the open cue "New Moon" is absolutely superb! I see that this album has an incredibly long running time so I hope this one holds up but with my past history with Desplat I have a feeling it won't... but I will keep an open mind. Let's see if you can hit another homerun this year like you did with Coco Avant Chanel.

NOTE: The track "Romeo and Juliet" <-- punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

I've fallen in love ... I can't stop listening to it...

Worth looking into
    listen to more classical music!
  10. Erik Woods wrote

It had been a long, LONG time since Desplat has completely floored me emotionally with any of his work.
    -Erik-

Curious to hear how it works out for you. I came out thinking this one was a little long. If 'To Volterra!' had been the climax of the album however, that album would have packed a punch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It had been a long, LONG time since Desplat has completely floored me emotionally with any of his work.
    -Erik-

Curious to hear how it works out for you. I came out thinking this one was a little long. If 'To Volterra!' had been the climax of the album however, that album would have packed a punch.

I had to stop at track 13... will continue later... but so far I like it. shocked There are only a couple of cues I could do with out and I still find Desplat's action writing to be a bit bland. But so far, I'm actually feeling this score which is rare for me when listening to a majority of Desplat's work. "Edward Leaves" and "Romeo and Juliet" along with the stunning "New Moon" are highlights. Very much looking forward to the rest.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: New Moon - Desplat

:yawn: There are good cues, but they're too far and few among all of the meandering ones. Given that it's a "romantic" movie, the overall feel is less cold, the use of harp and piano and strings is different, but still there is something clinical/methodical about it all. I'll take Cheri or Chanel over this.