• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    What I wanted to say is his style is unique... not the actual ripping.

His style is about as un-unique as anyone's I can think of... a kind of generic mish-mash of lots of others. Funny how different people see things in different ways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

His style is about as un-unique as anyone's I can think of... a kind of generic mish-mash of lots of others. Funny how different people see things in different ways.

While I agree he is a mish-mash of many other composer's styles he does have his own unique traits.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FLASH GORDON - Queen

This is just fun! FUN! FUN! punk

Comment Martijn? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    As the curators exclaimed when they foreclosed on Ramsay's restaurants, cars and homes in the UK, and were unexpectedly surprised by his successful run as a TV chef on American TV: GORDON'S ALIVE?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    2012 - Harald and Thomas

As Jordi would have said in 2004, "this is a shit."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    As the curators exclaimed when they foreclosed on Ramsay's restaurants, cars and homes in the UK, and were unexpectedly surprised by his successful run as a TV chef on American TV: GORDON'S ALIVE?

Wouldn't that be fucking Godon's fucking alive!? wink

The BLESSED One
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

He means that Debney's way of ripping is unique when compared to someone like, say, Tyler Bates. At least Debney actually bothers to change the notes after he listens to the temp track. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Twilight Saga: New Moon - Alexandre Desplat

It had been a long, LONG time since Desplat has completely floored me emotionally with any of his work. Well, I'm still only a few tracks in but the open cue "New Moon" is absolutely superb! I see that this album has an incredibly long running time so I hope this one holds up but with my past history with Desplat I have a feeling it won't... but I will keep an open mind. Let's see if you can hit another homerun this year like you did with Coco Avant Chanel.

NOTE: The track "Romeo and Juliet" <-- punk

So I finally finished this. It's a solid work but the middle portions loose me. Desplat makes up for it with a stunning conclusion but the weak middle section knocks this one down a few notches. It's a good score with one helluva main theme and some standout cues but I can't declare this as one of the years finest. Top 20 maybe but not Top 10.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Looking forward to hearing it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    2012 - Harald and Thomas

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Trevor Jones at Soncinemad Trevor Jones

This is the first time I've listened to anything from the Soncinemad concerts, for some reason I had always been wary of the sound quality. My fears have been well and truly quelled with this 2 disc set! This is wonderful, it has an endearing live feel rather than it being distracting.

I'm very glad to hear another version of Merlin since it is my favourite Jones score. Though all of the tracks are stunning!
    love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Jones´concert was great, specially Last of the Mohicans and the Dark Crystal cues.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    2012 - Harald and Thomas

In 2004 and I could say it today.

This is a shit!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well it has more in common with Cutthroat Island than Passion of the Christ but I get what you're saying. The Debney sound is unique.

The Debney sound is unique!? That must rank as my brand new favourite thing I've seen on this forum. Lair might be good fun (and perhaps that's all that matters) but there's barely a single moment in it which isn't lifted from somewhere else.

Agree. It's very fun to observe indeed, 'cause Debney is the most glamorous, beloved and successful "thief" in modern business. wink Don't get me wrong, i love his non-fluffy-comedy music, esp. the heavier and dramatic style of Passion of the Christ, or Dragonfly, but he's hardly original.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Trevor Jones at Soncinemad Trevor Jones

This is the first time I've listened to anything from the Soncinemad concerts, for some reason I had always been wary of the sound quality. My fears have been well and truly quelled with this 2 disc set! This is wonderful, it has an endearing live feel rather than it being distracting.

I'm very glad to hear another version of Merlin since it is my favourite Jones score. Though all of the tracks are stunning!
    love

I don't want to sound as an evil bastard, but the sound quality problem were never a Soncinemad issue, but others' wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

He means that Debney's way of ripping is unique when compared to someone like, say, Tyler Bates. At least Debney actually bothers to change the notes after he listens to the temp track. smile

True. 'Cause actually Debney is a good composer, he has the abilities and musicianship to be influenced but still deliver something good with decency, whilst the other guy has no musical abilities whatsoever, evidently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

While I agree he is a mish-mash of many other composer's styles he does have his own unique traits.

-Erik-

Like? In which score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Like? In which score?

I find that there is a distinctive sound in action material. Everything from Little Giants to The Scorpion King, Lair and The Mummy 3 - they share a distinctive structure that too me at least belongs to Debney.

-Erik-
  1. NP: Mao's Last Dancer (Christopher Gordon)

A good composer can do a lot with a little. The complete score is on this CD, and I admire how much it does in its 40-50 minute running time. (and not all the source cues are in the film, so 40 mins is a lot closer)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Cheri (Desplat)

The devastatingly sad reprise of the waltz theme that rounds out 'An Old Woman' is one of the best pieces of music I've heard for a film this year. Truly fine.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Like? In which score?

I find that there is a distinctive sound in action material. Everything from Little Giants to The Scorpion King, Lair and The Mummy 3 - they share a distinctive structure that too me at least belongs to Debney.

-Erik-

Don't forget choir. Whenever he uses choir you can hear instantly it's Debney, not someone else he borrowed from. But yeah his action writing is pretty much his own thing, not Williams, not Broughton, or anyone else using that particular style of writing.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    This may offend some people, so as not to alarm you I've put it in spoiler tags:

[spoiler]The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers COMPLETE SCORE Howard Shore

For me, right up there with Star Wars. cool (Although Star Wars probably has the edge since there's a lot of childhood nostalgia I associate with those score.)
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very sorry. shame
  4. So the boy likes to spoil himself, why should you feel sorry?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Knowing (Marco Beltrami)

This works like a charm in the film, and is high on atmosphere, and has an interesting sound which is why I'm not turned off by it. The more suspenseful cues set the tone of the film, but the emphasis is on creating atmosphere and uneasy tension, and it's rather monotonous in nature. The final cues are worth it to give it a spin and to hold out for it. It works better in the movie IMO, which I like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Saving Private Ryan - John Williams

Hymn To The Fallen, in memory of those killed one year ago this day at Mumbai.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Knowing (Marco Beltrami)

This works like a charm in the film, and is high on atmosphere, and has an interesting sound which is why I'm not turned off by it. The more suspenseful cues set the tone of the film, but the emphasis is on creating atmosphere and uneasy tension, and it's rather monotonous in nature. The final cues are worth it to give it a spin and to hold out for it. It works better in the movie IMO, which I like.

indeed, I find it to be better in the film as well

NP: Fearless --- Umebayashi

Nice score, but some of the stuff is really filler (and even but a couple of seconds long)
    but when he goes lyrical and emotional, I prefer the music over the action material
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh