• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Steven wrote
    This may offend some people, so as not to alarm you I've put it in spoiler tags:

[spoiler]The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers COMPLETE SCORE Howard Shore

For me, right up there with Star Wars. cool (Although Star Wars probably has the edge since there's a lot of childhood nostalgia I associate with those score.)
    [/spoiler]

Hello from your retarded creationist acquaintance wave wink
    I am listening to the exact same score, actually I've been going through it slowly for several days, enjoying the incredible quality of my 24-bit 48kHz 5.1 lossless DVD-A rip smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Knowing (Marco Beltrami)

This works like a charm in the film, and is high on atmosphere, and has an interesting sound which is why I'm not turned off by it. The more suspenseful cues set the tone of the film, but the emphasis is on creating atmosphere and uneasy tension, and it's rather monotonous in nature. The final cues are worth it to give it a spin and to hold out for it. It works better in the movie IMO, which I like.

Works good in the movie but compared to previous Beltrami efforts it's repetitive and looses interest fast, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    This may offend some people, so as not to alarm you I've put it in spoiler tags:

[spoiler]The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers COMPLETE SCORE Howard Shore

For me, right up there with Star Wars. cool (Although Star Wars probably has the edge since there's a lot of childhood nostalgia I associate with those score.)
    [/spoiler]

Hello from your retarded creationist acquaintance wave wink
    I am listening to the exact same score, actually I've been going through it slowly for several days, enjoying the incredible quality of my 24-bit 48kHz 5.1 lossless DVD-A rip smile

That makes two of us right now! I'm listening to it too! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I would say it's the best of the LotR scores, except it's not, because they're all the best smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

Just because it's fucking brilliant.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

punk

Can't describe it betteR!

n.P. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - new moon

With compositions like "Dreamcatcher", "Mary me, Bella", "Full Moon" it's very funny not to talk about this being in the top 5 of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

With compositions like "Dreamcatcher", "Mary me, Bella", "Full Moon" it's very funny not to talk about this being in the top 5 of the year.

It has become one of my favourite car and travel scores... You know... dawn of the day, coffee and a long drive to work. A waking dream...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just read the note from Chris Weitz in the CD insert... "I'm very proud...to know that his...score will be enjoyed by more than just the audience of the film."

Apparently he recognizes the existence of those of us in the audience for Desplat's score and yet outside the audience for his film beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I just read the note from Chris Weitz in the CD insert... "I'm very proud...to know that his...score will be enjoyed by more than just the audience of the film."

Apparently he recognizes the existence of those of us in the audience for Desplat's score and yet outside the audience for his film beer

It's a very listenable score, very subtle, romantic and melodic, very stand-alone. I find myself listening to it all the time lately, on the walk to work, in the bus, everywhere. Some parts are truly beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - public enemies

2009 has been blessed with so many excellent scores so far, really. I am very pleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - public enemies

2009 has been blessed with so many excellent scores so far, really. I am very pleased.

As I've said before about this score "Goldenthal, baby, Goldenthal!" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Stand out tracks indeed but as a whole it doesn't really live up to those fine cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    2009 has sucked big time for "excellent" scores with the best being releases from previous years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Works good in the movie but compared to previous Beltrami efforts it's repetitive and looses interest fast, imo.

IMHO, it's a smashing score that serves the film perfectly and is a delight on CD. Now THIS is one of the best of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

IMHO, it's a smashing score that serves the film perfectly and is a delight on CD. Now THIS is one of the best of the year!

-Erik-

Nah...left too much behind by Baaria, Agora and the lot wink tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    2009 has sucked big time for "excellent" scores with the best being releases from previous years.

Really? 'Cause there has been no major us film score that rocked? There's avatar coming along and there's other film music other than Hollywood wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

punk

beer punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

I'm actually listening to a 90 track 2009 Compilation and I have to say that there have been a lot more impressive scores written this year than in the past 4 or 5 years. It's still not up to par with year like 1989 but there are a lot more surprises this year... especially from me concerning Desplat. I've really enjoyed two of his scores much more than I can say about most of his output post Hostage.

If I look at my some of my favorites this year I see scores like Mao's Last Dancer, Knowing, Une Homme Et Son Chien, Coco Avant Chanel, Drag Me To Hell, Up, The Red Canvas, Battlestar Galactica, James Hannigan's Harry Potter video game scores... just to name a few. Those are some damn fine scores.

-Erik-
  1. Battlestar Galactica Season 4 (Bear McCreary)

WOW!!!! This is hands down the best of all the BSG score albums. I like nearly every track, the sound is so diverse and original, even more than Season 3. This really is the culmination of 4 years of McCreary always improving on his themes, his writing, the performances. This man has shown his talent has grown exponentially and I can see a bright future for him and becoming one of the greats. While I could never hold it in the highest regard like a classic sweeping masterpiece from Williams or Horner, this is excellent scoring for a brilliant TV show that stayed away from the epic sound, and all the better for it. I've heard the first disc only and this sounds like a definite keeper and one I'll return to on a regular basis. Bear's done good with the arranging and sequencing of this album, must've been tough to make it flow as good as it does. I can only expect the Daybreak disc to sound nothing less than spectacular.

Most-loved cues: Gaeta's Lament, The Signal, The Cult of Baltar, Farewell Apollo, Laura Runs, Gaeta's Lament (Instrumental), Kara Remembers, Diaspora Oratorio. love punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: BOLT - John Powell

This is exactly why I love his style. More pwease! kiss
  2. Back to the Future (song album) (Alan Silvestri & various artists)

Anticipating the delivery of the Intrada release, I felt the sudden urge to put this on, and it's been a while. For once songs that contribute actively to the film and never feel out of place. The Huey Lewis songs are great fun and represent the youthful, innocent, and spirited soul of the film. I've always loved the ballad 'Earth Angel' (yep I'm a softie) and the guitar filled cover of 'Johnny B. Goode'. The two score cues are amazing as ever and I cannot wait to hear them in between the extra Silvestri score with upgraded sound. Please be here soon! So this a very well rounded and enjoyable song album that's 24 years old and has tons more life in it than 90 % of current 'Inspired by' crap song albums.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Back to the Future (song album) (Alan Silvestri & various artists)

Anticipating the delivery of the Intrada release, I felt the sudden urge to put this on, and it's been a while. For once songs that contribute actively to the film and never feel out of place. The Huey Lewis songs are great fun and represent the youthful, innocent, and spirited soul of the film. I've always loved the ballad 'Earth Angel' (yep I'm a softie) and the guitar filled cover of 'Johnny B. Goode'. The two score cues are amazing as ever and I cannot wait to hear them in between the extra Silvestri score with upgraded sound. Please be here soon! So this a very well rounded and enjoyable song album that's 24 years old and has tons more life in it than 90 % of current 'Inspired by' crap song albums.

Earth Angel is brilliant, because it has those strings at the end, showing Silvestri's music flowing seamlessly in the song

I wouldn't have minded at all if Intrada placed the songs on it too, but then again, why not? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    A R Rahman - Bombay - Bombay Theme

It's one year since the terror attack on Bombay. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    You know... dawn of the day

No. I don't.
    I don't DO dawn.

BhelPuri wrote
    It's one year since the terror attack on Bombay. sad

sad
    Is there some proper remembrance ceremony in Bombay today, Ravi?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    You know... dawn of the day

No. I don't.
    I don't DO dawn.

Do dusk then...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I could do dinner and a movie?
    (As long as it isn't Dusk: Lunar Conjunction With The Sun)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. NP: In the Electric Mist (Beltrami)

Or rather, I've just finished playing. This is quite a strong one. A nice companion to 3:10 to Yuma and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. It's never as good as it is in the opening track and the two final tracks, particularly the last track, a haunting duet that feels it could have wandered out of a bayou.

It is a shame they shortened the title though for the film (which I still haven't seen, but looks very strong). There was something that much more haunting about 'In the Electric Mist with the Confederate Dead'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So I'm going through my Desplat scores again, and what I don't understand is how the man seems to have just these two modi: lovely, lush theme or deadly dull drone.

I absolutely love two-three tracks of most of his scores, with the res not even being interesting enough to properly yawn at.

It's so frigging frustrating when you're in the mood for a consistent listen. angry
    On Girl With A Pearl Earring now, and as dull as I found the film, I have to say the score is growing on me. Certainly one of his better, most interesting efforts overall!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What he said!

-Erik-