• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    You left out Transformers 2! shocked

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Well, just for you, I'll write A&D tonight.

Can i give you a few directions? tongue

James - You have to make A&D your first donated review! Let Jordi write this one.

I hope he will at least add his review as a comment in reply to my review!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Though I'm already so popular with the Zimmer fans.)
  1. NP: Hostage (Desplat)

One of the sillier films Desplat has scored, but definitely one of the most enjoyable scores. His use of ostinati comes in handy throughout.

Also this morning: Tetro (Golijov) - one of the richest scores I've heard this year
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote

Also this morning: Tetro (Golijov) - one of the richest scores I've heard this year

Cool! Ordered!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI - Malcolm Arnold

A fine score but I can easily do without the Colonel Bogie March ( not composed by Arnold anyway ), never liked it.

Which version are you listening to, Tim?

Is the suite of cues on the Chandos "Film Music of Sir Malcolm Arnold" CD a good representation of the original tracks?

Yes they are and that's the version I was listening to. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Cool! Ordered!

Before you do, make sure the name Piazzola doesn't sound like hell to your ears! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For Love of the Game - Basil Poledouris

Lovely score.
  3. Southall wrote
    For Love of the Game - Basil Poledouris

Lovely score.

Can you listen to music at work, James?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No. I've got the day off! Hooray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    TITANIC - JAMES HORNER

Wow! after long time i am hearing this. Cool!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Hunt For Red October - Basil Poledouris

The Hymn is absolutely fantastic, as is the rest of this great score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves - Michael Kamen

Now here's some real swashbuckling music! cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

Very strong album. One of the year's best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ISLAND - Paul Lewis

This is subtitled 'A Mood Piece For Soprano and Orchestra', this is a 10 minute suite from a 1976 TV series and it's absolutely gorgeous. Lewis is a truly unsung big talent of TV scoring, hell, this piece would make brilliant film music let alone TV.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And staying with TV music...

NP : POLICE STORY - Jerry Goldsmith

Lovely main theme and quality underscore as you'd expect from an all time great, probably not to everyones taste but I really enjoy it cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

Yes and I will edit the dialogues out of the first cue and remix it with the rest. It will be an even more worthy listening experience. That second cue on the CD is SO good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tintin wrote
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

Yes and I will edit the dialogues out of the first cue and remix it with the rest. It will be an even more worthy listening experience. That second cue on the CD is SO good.

I do wish that first cue didn't have the horrible intrusions because there's some fabulous music contained in it which doesn't feature anywhere else on the CD. (I agree with you about the second cue - it's my favourite too.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

cool punk

By KRULL!

Aliens be my 3-year old son. punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

Outstanding.
  4. I do love that last track on the CD in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Cool! Ordered!

Before you do, make sure the name Piazzola doesn't sound like hell to your ears! wink

Piazzola?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I do love that last track on the CD in particular.

Me too - such a strong piece.
  5. Sorry, Piazzolla:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astor_Piazzolla
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Once Upon a Time in China - James Wong

Great theme. The actual underscore is a bit lackluster at time but you will never notice it when the action are happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

Last year's big surprise came via MovieScore Media with their release of the superb The Possibility of an Island. This year MovieScore Media does it again by bringing us James Peterson's outstanding and surprisingly mature work for The Red Canvas. A bold, thematic, fully orchestral score with a Golden Age sensibility featuring "Ballet for Brawlers" - an 11 minute barn burner which is one of the most impressive action cues I've heard since Frederic Talgorn's "La Course De Chars" from Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques. It's easily one of the five best cues I've heard this year. It never lets up with it's strong rhythms, rapid fire brass writing and colorful orchestrations. Peterson ends the piece with a wonderful flourish that can only signify that he had a lot of fun writing this score. I heard this cue for the first time in the car two days ago and I had to pull over because the emotions overwhelmed me and tears started welling up in my eyes. It's great hearing music like this because it's such a rare thing these days.

While there are a few more outstanding action cues the score is dominated by rich dramatic music which reminds me of something Miklos Rozsa would have written. Fans of lush string lead music will eat this score up. "Death and Resurrection" - both parts - are superb.

Again, this is a most unexpected surprise. I would have never expected a modern day martial arts movie to receive a score of this caliber. The Red Canvas is easily one of the best scores I've heard this year and I can't wait to hear more from this incredibly talented up and coming composer! He reminds me of a younger Michael Giacchino. Full of talent, promise and has a clear understanding and appreciation of classic symphonic film music.

Thank you Mikael for releasing this! Without you this score would not have seen the light of day. And for those that are bored with modern day film music and are looking for something that reminds you of why you fell in love with film music in the first place - symphony orchestra and memorable themes - then I highly recommend this score! Actually, I recommend this score to everyone. Simply brilliant!

BTW, the bonus "Moving Images Suite" is a wonderful tribute to film scores of past and present!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Cool! Ordered!

want
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

All I can say is WOW! What a big up, I'll take a chance here and get it.