• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    On Girl With A Pearl Earring now, and as dull as I found the film, I have to say the score is growing on me. Certainly one of his better, most interesting efforts overall!

I was never quite sure what anyone was seeing in that film, myself. Apart from the cinematography, and the music.

NP: Amelia (Yared)

Nice.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS - John Williams

Haven't heard this one before. It feel a bit like a copy and paste job from the first movie, but I'm still very near the beginning. Hoping for some decent action stuff later on...hoping?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS - John Williams

Haven't heard this one before. It feel a bit like a copy and paste job from the first movie, but I'm still very near the beginning. Hoping for some decent action stuff later on...hoping?

Oh... there is including some of the most impressive action writing Williams has written this decade and some of the most memorable and infectious themes you will hear from the pen of the Maestro. Fawkes' Theme is brilliant and the new finale on "Harry's Wondrous World" is a vast improvement over the original Philosopher's Stone version. Great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Random shuffle on some of the best new film music cues of the year.
    E.g. The last few: 'Blood on the Scales' (Battlestar Galactica 4), 'To Biarritz' (Cheri), 'The Skies Do Not Fall' (Agora), 'Black Gold' (Home), 'Dance of Longing' (Mao's Last Dancer), 'Love in the Dunes' (Public Enemies), 'The Line' (Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak), 'New Moon' (New Moon), 'The Forest' (Penelopa)...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Song For Ten - Neil Hannon (From Murray Gold's Doctor Who: Season 1/2)

love
    One of the most bittersweet songs I know. I absolutely adore this one.

G'night! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    On Girl With A Pearl Earring now, and as dull as I found the film, I have to say the score is growing on me. Certainly one of his better, most interesting efforts overall!

I was never quite sure what anyone was seeing in that film, myself. Apart from the cinematography, and the music.

Nice.

Erm, Scarlett?

Also, how's AMELIA, Michael, apart 'nice'? How would you describe it? Any similarities with older Yared scores?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    2009 has sucked big time for "excellent" scores with the best being releases from previous years.

I'm actually listening to a 90 track 2009 Compilation and I have to say that there have been a lot more impressive scores written this year than in the past 4 or 5 years. It's still not up to par with year like 1989 but there are a lot more surprises this year... especially from me concerning Desplat. I've really enjoyed two of his scores much more than I can say about most of his output post Hostage.

If I look at my some of my favorites this year I see scores like Mao's Last Dancer, Knowing, Une Homme Et Son Chien, Coco Avant Chanel, Drag Me To Hell, Up, The Red Canvas, Battlestar Galactica, James Hannigan's Harry Potter video game scores... just to name a few. Those are some damn fine scores.

-Erik-

2009 was a very good year for film music indeed. A lot of examples are there, after a couple of weeks or so when the best 2009 threads and discussions arise along with the relevant end of year awards, there will be reminders by everyone on very special music from this year some might be forgetting or neglecting at this time yet.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

Nice.

Erm, Scarlett?

Also, how's AMELIA, Michael, apart 'nice'? How would you describe it? Any similarities with older Yared scores?

To the first question: Good.
    To the second question: Same answer as the first.
    To the third question: Yes, I'd say so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Some members' behaviour from time to time, just freaks me out. wink
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    rolleyes

It's Yared. What are you worried about? It's good. I'm not sure how good. Listen first, and ask questions later. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not worried, i was interested in your opinion on it wink Anyway, i'll listen and we'll see.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yeah. Nice. It is one that you can add to the 2009 very good scores list- not top 5 but quite strong. You like John Barry? There is enough variation to keep us interested until the end of the score too despite the recurring main theme.

Glory James Horner

Ace.
  5. No offense Martin, but if there's one Horner score I can't stand... it's GLORY.

:dons-flameproof-suit:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    No offense Martin, but if there's one Horner score I can't stand... it's GLORY.

I think one of Horner's greatest cues is in Glory - "The Whipping" The combo of a single tear falling from Denzil's eye and Horner hitting that high note at the exact same time... not sure what instrument that is... is magnificent!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

I like bits of it.

The film is cheesy!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I like bits of it.

The film is cheesy!

I LOVE the film.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I enjoyed it too but it's very hollywood and I felt some modern sensibilities creeping into it, enough to make me unconvinced by it's well meaning intentions, a lot of it felt too staged.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I've never liked the boy chorus, myself. Irritates me here for some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    sad
    Is there some proper remembrance ceremony in Bombay today, Ravi?

Yeah, there's the candlelight vigil for the casualties, awards to their families and military march to the spots of attack. Every single TV channel I switched to today is showing those and interviews with citizens for their views. The incident has certainly left a deep impact on us!
  7. Glory is my favorite score. It has been for years. I love almost every track of it.
  8. Being a BIG fan of the Horner, Glory has never been one of my faves too. Sure it's beautiful, it sounds original and choir really adds tremendous depth to the melodies, but to say I would take it to a deserted island with me would be a lie. Some of his others he wrote before and since then have done much more to me (see profile). But is is a very good score indeed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I like bits of it.

The film is cheesy!

I can't stand that score either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Garden of Delights - Ennio Morricone

What a weird listen! But I sooo love this song! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Blood Diamond (JNH)

Even if it's not original because it's BHD and Tears of The Sun put together , I love this score.

THe softer parts are touching, with this subtile synth ala Thomas Newman. The main theme is highly addictive, and the action parts agressive.

A good contemporany score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ENNIO MORRICONE - once upon a time in america

Bloody brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    ENNIO MORRICONE - once upon a time in america

Bloody brilliant.

Indeed.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009 edited
    NP: Far And Away - John Williams

Gorgeous stuff. Land Race = cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    DreamTheater wrote
    Being a BIG fan of the Horner, Glory has never been one of my faves too. Sure it's beautiful, it sounds original and choir really adds tremendous depth to the melodies, but to say I would take it to a deserted island with me would be a lie. Some of his others he wrote before and since then have done much more to me (see profile). But is is a very good score indeed.

Yes there would be a lot of scores by James Horner that I would choose before this one. I still find Glory a very good listening experience (the snares!) from the moment it starts until the end.

NP K2 Hans Zimmer

An engaging and mostly synths score with some very good Pete Haycock guitar lines, some thundering drums and some beautiful ethnic moments by Richard Harvey. It also includes one of my favorite score cue for cello. :Goosebumps: moment
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Tintin wrote

NP K2 Hans Zimmer

An engaging and mostly synths score with some very good Pete Haycock guitar lines, some thundering drums and some beautiful ethnic moments by Richard Harvey. It also includes one of my favorite score cue for cello. :Goosebumps: moment

At last! Someone else plays this score.

K2 is one of my favourites scores by Zimmer. A lot of the ethnic stuff was used in later Zimmer scores (gladiator, Prince of Egypt).

The mix of synth and Orchestra is one of his most interesting and the recording, creating a feeling of Echo and Deep, it's perfect for reacreate the landscapes of a mountain.

If only the theme was more memorable....But still one of his bests!