• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    What would be the other ones? (I don't think I'd have that many myself.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The first Star Wars is the other that springs to mind. If Star Trek: TMP had been released in that way then that would also be on the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have it on vinyl and it's all i ask!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The first Star Wars is the other that springs to mind. If Star Trek: TMP had been released in that way then that would also be on the list.

Star Trek for sure, I'd add Conan The Barbarian if it ever gets a complete release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Atlantis (newton Howard)

The second half, because It could be perfect for Avatar!!!

I want this ethnic vocals, this christal effects , and this orchestral action cues for Avatar!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

I want this ethnic vocals, this christal effects , and this orchestral action cues for Avatar!

<shivering at the thought of it>
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I don't know if I'm lucky or not, to not understand what you said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I'd add Conan The Barbarian if it ever gets a complete release.

Now THERE's a Holy Grail I'd trade all the Back To The Futures for!

NP: Ararat - Mychael Danna
    Quite lovely and diverse. I'd always assumed this was some sort of biblical epic...but it's a score to a film that chronicles the Armenian genocide of early in the 20th century (which the Turkish government denies to this day slant ).
    Interesting score, well orchestrated, with a good theme to hang you coat on.
    And how can you hate a score which first track is entitled 'Groonk'? smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conan complete would be very close in terms of Holy Grailness to Back To The Future. But considering the first Back To The Future score has never had a good release, and Conan has, it's no way near as exciting a prospect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    Quantitatively I could never fault the Conan release. But ye Gods, the quality is terrible. slant
    I fear it was the recording (damn those Roman halfwits who were more interested in getting their cigarette break reimbursed than actually doing their job), hence I have been hoping (against hope) for a rerecording.
    Or a really good clean-up job.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Martijn wrote
    Quantitatively I could never fault the Conan release. But ye Gods, the quality is terrible. slant
    I fear it was the recording (damn those Roman halfwits who were more interested in getting their cigarette break reimbursed than actually doing their job), hence I have been hoping (against hope) for a rerecording.

Now there's a very good idea Martijn- a complete rerecording of Conan The Barbarian conducted by Cliff Eidelman or Joel McNeely!

NP Les Miserables Basil Poledouris
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Ararat - Mychael Danna
    Quite lovely and diverse. I'd always assumed this was some sort of biblical epic...but it's a score to a film that chronicles the Armenian genocide of early in the 20th century (which the Turkish government denies to this day slant ).
    Interesting score, well orchestrated, with a good theme to hang you coat on.
    And how can you hate a score which first track is entitled 'Groonk'? smile

I agree with the person above.

I also think the second track, with the Oor thingy, is funny, since it is followed by a Groonk.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I also think the second track, with the Oor thingy, is funny, since it is followed by a Groonk.

What the hell are you talking about? [/McCoy]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I don't know if I'm lucky or not, to not understand what you said.

You are.
  1. NP: The Dancer Upstairs (Alberto Iglesias)

Most people probably think me rather weird. But we are what we are.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    JP: THE KILLING ROOM - Brian Tyler
    Brian steps out of his comfort zone again, with this highly impressive score for mostly strings and choir.

After creating a false sense of security through dense and long string lines (referencing Adagio for Strings) and chilling choir, Brian delivers a few heart attacks in adapting a raw, Ring-like thriller sound, with harsh strings and very intense buildups, before returning to the almost ethereal yet always chilling and suspenseful choir and, yes, strings.

The sparse use of the orchestra and brief use of a lone vocal give extra color to the score, yet it's his inventive use of cello and violin, lightyears away from his usual bombastic brass and percussion, that shows the talent of this man.

It's been long since his original Constantine and Bug, yet The Killing Room shows once more that Brian may be dulled with the same ol' projects, but he's still among the most interesting composers of his generation. A must for everyone who has lost faith in him and one of his rare scores that actually justifies a 70 min. running time. Among the most interesting and surprising scores of the year.
  2. BobdH wrote
    A must for everyone who has lost faith in him and one of his rare scores that actually justifies a 70 min. running time. Among the most interesting and surprising scores of the year.

Pardon? shocked

I must have been listening to a different score! My first listen experience was bordering on the tedious - but then I'm a fan of Tyler's bombastic (though unoriginal) leanings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Tintin wrote
    Martijn wrote

Now there's a very good idea Martijn- a complete rerecording of Conan The Barbarian conducted by Cliff Eidelman or Joel McNeely!

NP Les Miserables Basil Poledouris

Or Morgan and Stromberg even!?

Either way, a complete cleaned up original and a rerecording would leave me in angelic
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Bright Star (Mark Bradshaw)

Bradshaw's music is lovely. The violin solo that accompanies an emotional reading of Keats' 'Bright Star' is a standout for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

One of the greats; absolutely fantastic. Also one of the few 90-minute releases where I wouldn't want to lose a note.

But it could use an extra 22 seconds. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    A must for everyone who has lost faith in him and one of his rare scores that actually justifies a 70 min. running time. Among the most interesting and surprising scores of the year.

Pardon? shocked

I must have been listening to a different score! My first listen experience was bordering on the tedious - but then I'm a fan of Tyler's bombastic (though unoriginal) leanings.

There's a lot of repeated material in there and i can see how people who aren' t usually into this kind of stuff will find little to like, but really if you're someone who appreciates dark and dissonant textures in an all-upsetting and claustrophobic atmosphere, you'll probably like this.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

One of the greats; absolutely fantastic. Also one of the few 90-minute releases where I wouldn't want to lose a note.

-Erik-

What cue is that? I still want the brass lead one with Indy and Shortround up on the hill near the beginning of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

What cue is that? I still want the brass lead one with Indy and Shortround up on the hill near the beginning of the movie.

Well, honestly, I want it all but the biggest disappointment for me was not using the film version of the end credits. The Indy Theme/Short Round Theme counterpoint is something special!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The whole score's magnificent but I'm particularly in love with the haunting sitar in Indy And The Villagers (on the fifth disc of the box set).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Lost World (John Williams)

This is what I consider one of the last true big action scores by the maestro, after 1997 his action writing has changed towards the more rhythmic, where in this one it still is the old-school Raiders style Williams, which is all right by me. The new themes are as strong as the Jurassic Park ones. If the first one had all the wonder and beauty, this one has all the excitement and fun. punk

Love the album, but I absolutely loathe the packaging, which is taking dust somewhere and rightly so.

I like this score very much. I am glad you liked it. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    A Christmas Carol - Alan Silvestri

Just preparing for December.
    I love the first track, then from track nr. 2-8 it's nothing special, too many mickeymousing.
    But from track 9 on it's very-very enjoyable with many different emotions. It's playful, touching, sad and happy with some very good tracks for the frightening scenes too. I also love the final song, it gives me the goosebumps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICK CAVER and WARREN ELLIS - the road

Very unusual instrumentation during some claustrophobic, dark quirky pieces along with minimal and melancholic string (cello) driven small pieces. Intimate and esoteric, this - along with its rare, but very welcome melodic breaks, marks one of the most interesting projects of this year but also one that isn't for everyone's tastes.
  4. Brian Tyler - The Killing Room

My first listen and I must say that I think I found my favourite Brian Tyler score. The use of voice, the arrangements of the strings (those fast strings and atonal glissandi). The Thin Red Line is indeed an inspiration for Tyler, but for once it's not a score which is only referential (even if admittedly fun as was Eagle Eye). Seems like Tyler "got into" the movie. Dark, slow, but yet dynamic and rhythmic (the minimalistic piano figure!). VERY good score and a definite recommendation for non-Tyler fans. Tyler fans may get bored if they only like his action vehicles, which somewhere after Fast and Furious 3 started to sound the same.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: F.I.S.T. - Bill Conti

shocked

I forgot just how outstanding this score is. Anchored by a brilliant, dramatic main theme Conti surrounds the score with big brassy action material, tense dramatic music, lush string scoring contrasted by gentle, intimate writing! Thank you Norman Jewison for directing Conti to write an old fashioned 1940's dramatic styled orchestral score! The results are stunning! I don't know if there is anyone out there that writes for brass the way Conti does!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Now there's a great score I haven't played for a loooooooonnnng time. and played by the LSO no less. cool