• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    James Horner

Simply one of his best, and a great score to boot! I feel bad for anybody who missed out on the Intrada CD.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. NP: Baaria (Morricone)

Strong score. It's nice to hear another romantic epic from Morricone.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if someone got him to tap into his eclectic musical roots again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

First listen... and I LOVE it!

-Erik-

It's been a while since I listened to this. I remember thinking it was OK - nothing special - but your praise has made me think maybe I should revisit it.
  3. NP: Broken Embraces (Alberto Iglesias)

It happens slowly but surely. Another Iglesias score has me hooked. I almost never fall in love with his scores the first time round - it always comes a few listens later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    James Horner

Simply one of his best, and a great score to boot! I feel bad for anybody who missed out on the Intrada CD.

Me too! Great score that I've already played many times this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

First listen... and I LOVE it!

-Erik-

It's been a while since I listened to this. I remember thinking it was OK - nothing special - but your praise has made me think maybe I should revisit it.

Would it help if this non Zimmer fan told you I like it too?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On the other hand James, I have a nostalgic feeling for this score, it was the second score of Zimmer's I ever bought ( Backdraft being the first ) and my bad feelings towards him were not so coloured then back in the early 90's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GRAND CANYON - James Newton Howard

Lovely chilled out score cool
  4. NP: Amelia (Yared)

Splendid. Yared at his best. The main theme is a beauty.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GRAND CANYON - James Newton Howard

Lovely chilled out score cool

Cripes but I love the Grand Canyon Fanfare that closes the album, it wouldn't be out of place in one of the Rocky films....superb!!! cool

NP : THE NEW WORLD - James Horner

cool
  5. "Supernova"
    David C. Williams

Okay score, with a catchy (not sure "catchy" is the right word) main theme that is somewhat ominous. It's always in the back of my head when I look at the CD in the holder with other score CDs.

Review written and submitted to Bregt about 30 minutes ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Cripes but I love the Grand Canyon Fanfare that closes the album...

Fantastic cue! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Dracula - John Williams

A nice remastering of this would be an instant purchase for me. Come on, Varese! Do this masterwork justice!!!

-Erik-

I have the same feeling about this. This is one of my favorite of Maestro.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Alexandre Desplat

A very relaxing album. Makes me feel... Christmassy. christmas_smile

a snooz album, that's what it is sleep

Exactly, it's wonderful! It's so relaxing. Next time you're stressed, or you have a headache, just put this score on. It works wonders.

A great album IMO.

I'd rather reach for something with a bit more emotion... give me something like... It's My Party by Basil Poledouris.

-Erik-

a bit more emotion? i would say a LOT more. It's My Party is a pure and direct emotion that gets to me everytime I listen to it.

Exodus Ernest Gold
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I honestly think that the music of Benjamin Button is full of emotions. It always gives me the goosebumps whenever I listen to it. Soft, but deeply emotional score, one of Desplat's bests.
    It may help that I also loved the movie very much. My feelings are the same: a subtle but deeply emotional movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Baaria (Morricone)

Strong score. It's nice to hear another romantic epic from Morricone.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if someone got him to tap into his eclectic musical roots again.

You mean dissonant, unlistenable stuff?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Broken Embraces (Alberto Iglesias)

It happens slowly but surely. Another Iglesias score has me hooked. I almost never fall in love with his scores the first time round - it always comes a few listens later.

It IS a rather emotional, heartfelt experience, one of his most accessible and pleasant scores. I love it too, and from what you say i must surely manage to listen to AMELIA - which i haven't yet! shame
  6. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (Christopher Lennertz)

The least enjoyable of the MOH series. I'm certain Lennertz is a fine talent but here it just doesn't click with me. The majority of the tracks just don't go anywhere and don't provide any sort of musical consistence. Apart from a few selected cues it all sounds a bit too much mickey mousing. Sure it has themes, it's big and brassy, but I really prefer Giacchino's take on the musical universe of Medal of Honor. At least he is able to properly construct and develop action music into a consistent whole.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. The Abyss (Alan Silvestri)

All this talk about the film in the other topic made me want to listen to its score. One of the most treasured Silvestri's where I'm concerned and that is all thanks to the big action music (The Crane, Sub Battle), atmospheric cues (The Manta Ship, Bud's Big Dive) and the stunning climactic tracks. If there was ever an expanded treatment for The Abyss I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up, because there is still some great material not on this album, which may be enough for most fans. The music is one of the many reasons I adore the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd guess Cameron would have used Horner for The Abyss if they hadn't fallen out at the time!? It's obvious from Silvestri's score that a bit of Horner's Brainstorm was a temp track.
  8. Really? I wouldn't have made that connection. But now that you mention it, it's so obvious. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    I'd guess Cameron would have used Horner for The Abyss if they hadn't fallen out at the time!? It's obvious from Silvestri's score that a bit of Horner's Brainstorm was a temp track.

And if they didn't fight so much in Aliens tongue

NP:Spy Game (HGW)

Still his best score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

A soaring score with fantastic battle muusic, a true classic! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

A trip to emotions, thoughts and feelings once more...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (Christopher Lennertz)

The least enjoyable of the MOH series. I'm certain Lennertz is a fine talent but here it just doesn't click with me. The majority of the tracks just don't go anywhere and don't provide any sort of musical consistence. Apart from a few selected cues it all sounds a bit too much mickey mousing. Sure it has themes, it's big and brassy, but I really prefer Giacchino's take on the musical universe of Medal of Honor. At least he is able to properly construct and develop action music into a consistent whole.

I really enjoy this one, considerably more than Pacific and European Assault.
  9. NP: Uncharted 2 -- Greg Edmondson

Huge improvement over the first score, the theme is back, the ethnic writing is at times gorgeous (remember the trailer piece?) and the action pieces are exciting enough (of course don't compare it with a MOH please), overall much more fun to listen to than the first

I was surprised considering a lot of the music didn't stick in the mind whilst playing the game, but that was because the game's that bloody exciting punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (Christopher Lennertz)

I really enjoy this one, considerably more than Pacific and European Assault.

Oh, I'm going have to disagree. European Assault is, IMHO, one of Lennertz's finest achievement. Rising Sun is a bit all over the place. Pacific and European Assault are way more fleshed out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. European Assault is indeed better than Rising Sun, and from what I heard of Pacific Assault within the game, it has a really great theme, but it still sounds a little boring overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Uncharted 2 -- Greg Edmondson

Huge improvement over the first score, the theme is back, the ethnic writing is at times gorgeous (remember the trailer piece?) and the action pieces are exciting enough (of course don't compare it with a MOH please), overall much more fun to listen to than the first

I was surprised considering a lot of the music didn't stick in the mind whilst playing the game, but that was because the game's that bloody exciting punk

That is VERY good music indeed and i have Steven to thank for the heads up, it's such an underrated little gem this year and if it wasn't for him, or someone to let you know in general, i'd probably never hear it.