• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Superman IV: The Quest For Peace - Alexander Courage

Easily the best of the Superman sequel scores. Courage adapts old and new themes perfectly while giving this fourth outing a fresh sound and not just a general rehash of the 1978 classic score. The Nuclear Man theme is a underrated gem by Williams and Courage's arrangements are sparkling! Excellent score!

Just finished this... boy and boy or boy is this spectacular. I hope those that have to Blue Box are listening to this one just as much as the original score. Courage did an absolutly brilliant job! The final action cue is among the series' finest cues!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. About Superman IV Erik, I've only played it a total of two times since I got my FSM box, but I'm dying to go again soon. It's indeed a good score and I love how Courage wraps up at the end, but to me the second has always had a special place in my heart. I listen to that one more frequently.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ricky - Philippe Rombi

First listen... Gobsmackingly good! WHAT. A. THEME!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The rest doesn't really hold up to that level, but the theme is simply gorgeous. A man and his dog is slightly superior as a whole though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The rest doesn't really hold up to that level, but the theme is simply gorgeous. A man and his dog is slightly superior as a whole though.

Indeed! Un Homme Et Son Chien is the best thing I've heard this year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeed! Un Homme Et Son Chien is the best thing I've heard this year!

-Erik-

Very true. The way this man does melody is truly beyond me (and most other composers of his age too).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009 edited
    Np: Ricochet - Alan Silvestri

This one doesn't get a lot of attention around here. I think it is Silvestri's most aggressive dramatic score. Raw, meaty with "Blake Gets The Point" being the highlight; a raw, rhythmic action suspense cue that tests the limits of your sound system!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote

cool

Oh yeah!
    If only it were day and I would play Kilar's DRACULA but I admit it... it's dark, it's windy, it's raining heavely and lightings fill the skies and yes, I'm scared. shame
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: William The Conqueror - John Scott

Possibly the most classically inclined of modern film composers, Scott keeps enchanting me with his flair and sense of drama. This score features a grand orchestral sound mixed with (completely anachronistic, but hey-ho) Renaissance ditties.

I don't know how, but Scott always makes his scores sound so lush.
    Whenever I feel like classical music, but not in the mood for classical music (does that even make sense? dizzy ) I turn to one of his scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Baaria (Morricone)

Strong score. It's nice to hear another romantic epic from Morricone.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if someone got him to tap into his eclectic musical roots again.

You mean dissonant, unlistenable stuff?

He has some very unusual ways of doing things some times. I often hear them and go: 'Brilliant! No one else would have thought of that.' Being predominantly romantic idiom, BAARIA doesn't really ever catch me by surprise. The best Morricone tends to have both emotion and the element of surprise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Baaria (Morricone)

Strong score. It's nice to hear another romantic epic from Morricone.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if someone got him to tap into his eclectic musical roots again.

You mean dissonant, unlistenable stuff?

He has some very unusual ways of doing things some times. I often hear them and go: 'Brilliant! No one else would have thought of that.' Being predominantly romantic idiom, BAARIA doesn't really ever catch me by surprise. The best Morricone tends to have both emotion and the element of surprise.

Any specific Morricone score as an example?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Oh yeah!
    If only it were day and I would play Kilar's DRACULA but I admit it... it's dark, it's windy, it's raining heavely and lightings fill the skies and yes, I'm scared. shame

2 absolutely amazing scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz conrad wrote
    The best Morricone tends to have both emotion and the element of surprise.

I think that one about the Spanish Inquisition would be a good one?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Christodoulides wrote

Oh, MISSION TO MARS. NOSTROMO. LEGEND OF 1900. RIPLEY'S GAME. These all come to mind from the last decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmm.......i got your point. I am not familiar with Nostromo, Legend of 1900 has a lot of good stuff and stuff that i'd program out entirely, so does Ripley's Game. Mission to Mars is pretty horrible to my ears. What different tastes do to you eh? smile His brilliance is imo in MALENA, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, and many other similar scores too wink
  4. I like the themes of AMERICA and MALENA, and how they work in their films, but the albums don't make for enough of a varied experience for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Martijn wrote

Indeed. I recently played Scott´s Becoming Colette for the first time and it is simply great, featuring (again) Scott´s orchestral mastery.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz conrad wrote
    The best Morricone tends to have both emotion and the element of surprise.

I think that one about the Spanish Inquisition would be a good one?

Their chief weapon is surprise...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Indeed. I recently played Scott´s Becoming Colette for the first time and it is simply great, featuring (again) Scott´s orchestral mastery.

That one is my favourite Scott score (though I haven't really heard many). Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    JP: CRACKS - Javier Navarrete
    Though not as immediately captivating as Pan's Labyrinth, nor as strikingly beautiful as Fireflies in the Garden, Cracks nonetheless doesn't disappoint. With rich compositions and lush orchestrations, heavily relying on the strings and Satie-like piano, this is a score with more of a Desplat like quality that deserves but also needs attention in order to fully appreciate. Something I will revisit often, for I'm sure it's a grower.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hmmm.......i got your point. I am not familiar with Nostromo, Legend of 1900 has a lot of good stuff and stuff that i'd program out entirely, so does Ripley's Game. Mission to Mars is pretty horrible to my ears. What different tastes do to you eh? smile His brilliance is imo in MALENA, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, and many other similar scores too wink

Do you not like anything from MISSION TO MARS?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Do you not like anything from MISSION TO MARS?

TO be honest it's been ages since i managed to play it all. I remember liking a track, or two..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh, that's more like it D. I can see why some people wouldn't like some of the score but not all of the score, there are some great highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Amelia Gabriel Yared

Very pretty. Quite relaxing too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

Gorgeous. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    NP: Star Wars - John Williams

'nuff said!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAVID ARNOLD - Godzilla, 2cd

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    rolleyes

Star Wars? Godzilla?

Geez can't you guys listen to something better???? vomit

tongue

Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)

Very enjoyable. I like it very much, a different sound for Star Trek but good. Just what a reboot needs.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    rolleyes

Star Wars? Godzilla?

Geez can't you guys listen to something better???? vomit

tongue

Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)

Very enjoyable. I like it very much, a different sound for Star Trek but good. Just what a reboot needs.

That's what the reboot needed, but question is : do WE need the reboot?