• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    The Supergirl theme is one of the great themes, better IMO than his Star Trek titles.

slant
    Dude.
    Obviously you're the victim of a Vulcan mind melt.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Regarding Henry (Zimmer)

"Budy grove" has a really mind blowing synth effect (wich reminds me to A Dark Knight).

The main theme is one of this simple, but really effective Zimmer notes.

One of earlier Zimmer scores I can listen.

Love this score. I used to listen to it before going to sleep. So relaxing and groovy. I was so lucky to find a used version in good condition, too. One of my favorite romantic Zimmer score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Bird on a Wire - Hans Zimmer

I love, Love, LOVE, all of the rambunctious action cues and those catchy themes, especially that nice love theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Regarding Henry (Zimmer)

"Budy grove" has a really mind blowing synth effect (wich reminds me to A Dark Knight).

The main theme is one of this simple, but really effective Zimmer notes.

One of earlier Zimmer scores I can listen.

Love this score. I used to listen to it before going to sleep. So relaxing and groovy. I was so lucky to find a used version in good condition, too. One of my favorite romantic Zimmer score.

It is surprisingly good indeed, esp. if you consider the time it was written for and the all synth nature.

I'd not say the same thing for the score you're playing now though wink kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Supergirl theme is one of the great themes, better IMO than his Star Trek titles.

slant
    Dude.

Or indeed a Vulcan deaf grip. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd not say the same thing for the score you're playing now though wink kiss

Sure, I'll forgive you.

I'm also fascinated at how some of those cues contain the earliest incarnations of the later Zimmer writing styles. Hearing the very raw works paired up against the matured versions are always an interesting experience for me.
  1. Can you give me some comparisons?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

slant
    Dude.

Or indeed a Vulcan deaf grip. slant

Seems I've been hit by a Martijn death ray.

'deaf grip?' ....very good applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Yes. I used my two favourite fruits - bananas and tomatoes.

Hey, Tomatoe is vegetable not fruit. Is it not? smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    ...only another 90 years to go....

For what????? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

For what????? confused

Until Martijn is carried triumphantly by a giant tomato and pronounced Leader of the Fruits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lol bounce
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

For what????? confused

Until Martijn is carried triumphantly by a giant tomato and pronounced Leader of the Fruits.

Precise and exactly without any doubt whatsoever to the very letter without a single minute change exact wording what I was going to wrote.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Batteries Not Included (James Horner)

Always a charming and nostalgic remembering to good old 80s scoring. The big band cues are big fun. Is it correct they only appeared in three of his scores? Cocoon, Cocoon The Return and this one? Once again Horner totally nails the innocent sound for such a little feelgood fantasy film that reflects the time it was made in. The amount of emotion in the primary theme is really heartfelt too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote
    Batteries Not Included (James Horner)

Very beautiful score indeed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is it correct they only appeared in three of his scores? Cocoon, Cocoon The Return and this one?

Casper!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Was the big band stuff in Swing Kids by someone else? (I can't remember.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

CAN. NOT. STOP. PLAYING. THIS!

Up Next: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Can you give me some comparisons?

I mean, you don' t hear it? I don't really want to go back and search through all 27tracks....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    I don't really want to go back and search through all 27tracks....

DO IT! DO IT NOW! wink

-Erik-
  3. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I mean, you don' t hear it? I don't really want to go back and search through all 27tracks....

No, not really. What I hear is a rather disjointed work which tries to combine Zimmer's MV sensibilities with weird carnival comedy and some nice guitar themes in between.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    I don't really want to go back and search through all 27tracks....

DO IT! DO IT NOW! wink

-Erik-

Nah! trying to give this other score a chance

NP: Monsters vs Aliens - Henry Jackman

Sure, the guy can write very well and has a good grasp on what to add to make things interesting. I'm sure that, being Henry's first "standalone" credit score, he's done more than an perfunctory job, but the result is still lacking that spark. The Ginormica Suite is one of the best track on the album though. Very enjoyable track.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is it correct they only appeared in three of his scores? Cocoon, Cocoon The Return and this one?

Casper!

-Erik-

Of course, it's because it's so short and not even used in the film I forget about it. Thanks for clearing it up.

And Swing Kids is one I never even heard.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

No, not really. What I hear is a rather disjointed work which tries to combine Zimmer's MV sensibilities with weird carnival comedy and some nice guitar themes in between.

That was my first impression of the score around 3-4 years ago, but my opinion has changed on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

I simply can't come up with the right words that will do this magnificent score justice. I'm not familiar at all with all the folk tunes and traditional songs Holdridge used in the score so I'm not sure which are Holdridge original themes and which aren't but it doesn't matter - Holdridge and orchestrator Ira Hearshen did a fantastic job with the arrangements so that traditional, folk and original material would come together as one. Outstanding work!

There are also some big, meaty action cues that engineer Mike Ross brilliantly captured. Some of the best sounding Goldsmith scores were recorded by Ross in London and he also enhanced other Holdridge scores including one of the great sounding albums I own: Into Thin Air.

It's so sad that this album was produced in such a small batch. More than a 1000 people needed to hear this score but I will say that I'm glad I'm one of them. This was a blind purchase based of off two brilliant samples I heard at Intrada. I have to say that there are more than just two brilliant cues. This entire album, running at just over one hour and forty minutes flows seamlessly from one cue another. Holdridge and the team at Intrada, while trying to present the score in film order, did move a few cues around here and there to enhance the listening experience and keep certain themes together so we can hear their development one cue after the other. Holdridge mentioned that he wanted this presentation to sound like a vast symphonic tone poem... well, I think he succeeded. There isn't a cue here that I would throw out. This is the best possible presentation of the score.

Oh ya, one other note, the "Golda Suite," should be performed by all symphony orchestras around the world. It's a lovely slow moving 10 minute piece that is one of the many highlights on this brilliant album!

Holdridge... you rarely disappoint and this hidden gem most definitely didn't. A great find and I hope that more of you who didn't get a chance to nab up a copy from Intrada can find one for a reasonable price elsewhere.

Highly, highly recommended!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For the next hour and twenty minutes I'll be spinning music from Fracture (selections from only Chad Seiter's contributions), Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard 5) Promo (Kota Suzuki / Wataru Hokoyama) and The Abyss (Alan Silvestri)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

i.e. a mess wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. lp wrote

I love, Love, LOVE, all of the rambunctious action cues and those catchy themes, especially that nice love theme.

indeed, catchy action tunes abound and a lot of typical Zimmer stuff of the 90's, even though he doesn't want it, I want this one released as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GOJIRA Compilation - Akira Ifukube

Superb work, big bold and thematic. This compilation was made for me by an old friend over at Movie Music board cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    lp wrote

indeed, catchy action tunes abound and a lot of typical Zimmer stuff of the 90's, even though he doesn't want it, I want this one released as well

Yeah, I'm hoping that one day, Intrada or La La Land will surprise me with a release of this score along side with Zimmer's other classics, Black Rain and Days of Thunder (and includes the never before released Mancine cue for the Final Race)....