• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

This title was lost in amongst the more high-profile release (can't remember which one - there's been so many recently!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    NP: The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

Yeah, my thoughts haven't changed concerning this masterpiece!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

CAN. NOT. STOP. PLAYING. THIS!

Can you separate the quality of the music and the childhood memories associated with this title?

I've listened to this and it's okay.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

CAN. NOT. STOP. PLAYING. THIS!

Can you separate the quality of the music and the childhood memories associated with this title?

I've listened to this and it's okay.

It's just great music! Just like Star Wars, Raiders, Mutiny on the Bounty, Dances With Wolves, The Sea Hawk, Backdraft, etc. It's just really, really friggn' awesome music that just so happens to be a film score. Sure, there is a nostalgia factor associated with it which also helps in some part with my love for the score but I don't know how anyone can't get any thrills out of the militaristic build up of "85 Twin Pines Mall" or feel the tender emotions attached to something like "Marty's Letter" or just the shire excitement of "The Clocktower" sequence. Alan, scores of this caliber sadly just aren't written any more.

Look, just so you don't think I'm being biased I had almost the same reaction to another Intrada title earlier in the year; The Journey of Natty Gann. I had never seen the film or heard the score but when I finally spun the album for the first time I couldn't stop playing it! Good music will do that to me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

This title was lost in amongst the more high-profile release (can't remember which one - there's been so many recently!)

Back To The Future!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

Another winner from the record label of the year! This is a brilliant early score from the pen of Horner and is an album that you never want to end.

-Erik-
  3. "the Journey of Natty Gann" -- for a third time in three days. Too damn short a CD!

I feel really, really, really fucking bad for anybody who missed out on this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's just great music! Just like Star Wars, Raiders, Mutiny on the Bounty, Dances With Wolves, The Sea Hawk, Backdraft, etc.

Seriously!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's just great music! Just like Star Wars, Raiders, Mutiny on the Bounty, Dances With Wolves, The Sea Hawk, Backdraft, etc.

Seriously!? shocked

Give it up!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I honestly didn't know you thought that. I always assumed that your love of the score was based on the fond feelings towards the film you had. I know how many people love it as a film score but I'm not joking, I really didn't know that people actually thought it was that good as music.

Still waiting for my album to arrive... hope it's a revelation to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I find myself slightly surprised as well.
    It's a lovely theme, and there's obviously a lot of sentiment attached to the films... and I could even imagine it may be as enjoyable to many as the paradigms cited above...but it's not as good (or even "just" great"). Not by a long shot.

As great as STAR WARS or THE SEA HAWK???
    Crikey...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Seriously!? shocked

Give it up!

-Erik-

If we're talking main themes-wise, i agree with Erik. That score is up-there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    As great as STAR WARS or THE SEA HAWK???
    Crikey...

I was shocked that Erik in particular said that, because I know how he loves them. Based solely on the bootleg, it wouldn't get near my top 200 - let alone approach the dizzy heights he has mentioned. I must seriously be missing something. Really looking forward to hearing it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Seriously!? shocked

Give it up!

-Erik-

Well, I would agree with him in that case, but I didn't think he was only talking about the themes. It would make sense though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

Love this score. Newman's distinctive and haunting sound design plays a huge role here, particularly in the more serene and atmospheric cues. Very relaxing.

Brilliant stuff. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote

Love this score. Newman's distinctive and haunting sound design plays a huge role here, particularly in the more serene and atmospheric cues. Very relaxing.

Brilliant stuff. cool

Ironically I'm currently listening to The Beyondness of Things, some of which (though I can't remember exactly what) is of course Barry's rejected score from that very film. Love it! (And I love Newman's.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, I would agree with him in that case, but I didn't think he was only talking about the themes. It would make sense though.

Nobody's seriously questioning the epicness of the theme, I think. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    LSH wrote

Brilliant stuff. cool

Ironically I'm currently listening to The Beyondness of Things, some of which (though I can't remember exactly what) is of course Barry's rejected score from that very film. Love it! (And I love Newman's.)

The Beyondness of Things is a gorgeous album and I listen to it often. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My personal top ten looks like this...

1. Indiana Jones Trilogy (John Williams)
    2. Star Wars Trilogy (John Williams)
    3. Back To The Future (Alan Silvestri)
    4. CutThroat Island (John Debney)
    5. Medal of Honor Series (Michael Giacchino)
    6. Dances With Wolves (John Barry)
    7. Braveheart (James Horner)
    8. The Sea Hawk (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    9. Mutiny on the Bounty (Bronislau Kaper)
    10. Prince Valiant (Franz Waxman)

I think the above list features the finest film music, TV music, video game music I've heard. Back To The Future is indeed GREAT! I've given you all my reasons why it is in previous posts... if you don't think it is... fine, your loss... but this score is more than just that GREAT theme and I wish some of you would seriously pay the frick attention when listening to the entire score when you get it. And it wouldn't be a bad thing to give the film another go!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: A Rage In Harlem - Elmer Bernstein

Solid score, very Bernstein-ish (with his recognisable jazz and semi-Mexican percussive touches). Very listenable throughou, but the main theme is a DOOZY! shocked That one, as far as I'm concerned, is right up there with his iconic cool jazz themes for The Sweet Smell Of Success, or The Man With The Golden Arm. A fantastic hommage to his own past!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm with Erik. But I'm obviously wrong since the older members disagree. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Back To The Future is indeed GREAT! I've given you all my reasons why it is... if you don't think so fine... your loss... but this score is more than just that GREAT theme and I wish some of you would seriously pay the frick attention when listening to the entire score when you get it. And it wouldn't be a bad thing to give the film another go!

-Erik-

Your reasons are of course your own and valid of their own accord. I just don't happen to subscribe to them.
    And your top 10 is a wonderful one. And obviously a very personal one with as much I agree with in it as material that leaves me cold.

As to the scores: well, I paid attention and I'm underwhelmed (even though I approached it as openmindedly as I could...although the length did deter me).
    I've never thought the films were more than (very expertly executed) popcorn entertainment with a huge fun factor.
    Which is of course fine.
    But having seen them, I honestly have no urgent need to see any of them again.

So no, like I said, I don't think the films OR the scores are "great". I don't think they made any noticable dent or impact on the industry or the art. But I can perfectly understand the attraction of both to a lot of people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I'm with Erik. But I'm obviously wrong since the older members disagree. sad

Goooooood, goooood, my young apprentice. <cackle>

tongue
    This is hardly about "right" or "wrong" obviously. It's all just about personal taste again.
    And far be it from me to begrudge someone his exquisite enjoyment.
    Mote that I found something to affect me as deeply again. sad It's been a while...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    So no, like I said, I don't think the films OR the scores are "great". I don't think they made any noticable dent or impact on the industry or the art. But I can perfectly understand the attraction of both to a lot of people.

I don't think the films are "great" either, but I do think the first one is one of the very best of those wonderful 80s popcorn movies. (And I watched it recently, and didn't spot any interesting music except the main theme.) Score-wise, I think the third one is by far the strongest - two very strong themes in addition to the familiar BTTF theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I don't think the films are "great" either, but I do think the first one is one of the very best of those wonderful 80s popcorn movies. (And I watched it recently, and didn't spot any interesting music except the main theme.) Score-wise, I think the third one is by far the strongest - two very strong themes in addition to the familiar BTTF theme.

Agree on all counts.
    Hm.
    That is ...disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: We Own The Night - Wojciech Kilar

Dark, oppressive and almost intolerably moody.
    But very, very good.
    Quite reminiscent of parts of Schindler's List at times. That typical dark, eastern european slant shines through without mercy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

But very, very good.
    Quite reminiscent of parts of Schindler's List at times. That typical dark, eastern european slant shines through without mercy.

Kilar's ability to give sound and shape to darkness is remarkable! I search for him at days where I fell moody.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    Kilar's ability to give sound and shape to darkness is remarkable!

Very well put.
    Indeed he is not a composer I seek out for quick and easy listening fixes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

But very, very good.

Kilar's ability to give sound and shape to darkness is remarkable! I search for him at days where I fell moody.

Indeed, he's very underrated these days i think. He's not the only one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Unfaithful - Jan Kaczmarek

Apparently I seem to be having a dark night.
    Bloody hell, this is melancholy material.
    (It IS beautiful, though. Truly precious, with a very vulnerable melody line, and even though I know I'm being manipulated emotionally like a hypnotist swinging a watch, I love every second of it.)