• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    Favourite Film Tracks : Volume 1 - Various

One of my own compilations with some favourite music ...

1. 28 Theme - John Murphy (from 28 Weeks Later)
    2. Roar (Cloverfield Overture) - Michael Giacchino (from Cloverfield)
    3. Dieters' Theme - Klaus Badelt (from Rescue Dawn)
    4. The Escape - David Newman (from The Phantom)
    5. Main Titles - James Newton Howard & John Frizell (from Dante's Peak)
    6. The Train - James Horner (from The Legend Of Zorro)
    7. Favela Escape - Craig Armstrong (from The Incredible Hulk)
    8. The Crawlers Attack - David Julyan (from The Descent)
    9. End Credits - Michael Giacchino (from Star Trek)
    10. The Horse Race - William Ross (from Young Black Stallion)
    11. Morlock Attack - Klaus Badelt (from The Time Machine)
    12. The Terranaut March - Christopher Young (from The Core)
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. well, it's certainly diverse, and at least we see some tracks here that aren't widely chosen smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

All I can say is WOW! What a big up, I'll take a chance here and get it.

I tried the clips and wasn't wild about it, to be honest.
    Lots of Rozsa-ish stylistics without any of the lyricism (not slamming it: just pointing out that it is a far more modern score than the reviews may suggest. And comparisons with a legendary film composer as powerfully and almost unassailably stooped in the lyricism of modern Romaticism as Rozsa are doomed to be watched with the most critical of eyes.).

To be honest I'm just not sure what to make of it.
    It's an odd beast.
    I don't dislike it, but there's no lasting impression.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Where the River Runs Black (James Horner)

First listen. But I shouldn't have bothered. It's a very minimalistic score, and not my thing at all. It's all synths, panflutes, light percussion, eerie vocals, a truly weird mix. He's done so much better the same year: An American Tail, Aliens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

Revisiting an old friend, inspired by Clemmensen's review. His review is spot-on, though he missed some less coherent (and rather chaotic) action cues and I would also say that it's one of Zimmer's most stylish scores in his career. Definitely his most stylish, and possibly most melodic, action score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. triple post shame I had problems with the site...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I tried the clips and wasn't wild about it, to be honest.
    Lots of Rozsa-ish stylistics without any of the lyricism (not slamming it: just pointing out that it is a far more modern score than the reviews may suggest. And comparisons with a legendary film composer as powerfully and almost unassailably stooped in the lyricism of modern Romaticism as Rozsa are doomed to be watched with the most critical of eyes.).

All I said was that it sounds like Rozsa... I didn't say it was Rozsa or Peterson is the second coming of Rozsa. Of course it is a modern score but Peterson does tip his cap to the Golden Age in the way he constructs his themes, motifs, etc.

Martijn wrote
    To be honest I'm just not sure what to make of it.
    It's an odd beast.
    I don't dislike it, but there's no lasting impression.

Give it a chance. Clips aren't going to do this score justice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I really liked the clip I heard. Reminded me more of early Goldsmith than Rozsa, but hey - I'll take the memories of any kind of brilliance at this point. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BALTO - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christopher Gordon - Mao's Last Dancer
    Pretty much the highlight of the year thus far! 'Becoming a Dancer', 'Breakup and Reunion', and 'Village Dance and Finale' are such melodic standouts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Philippe Sarde - Sister Mary Explains It All / Lovesick / The Manhattan Project
    Goodness gracious! This is just fantastic! Lovesick is utterly sweeping and gorgeous. Think of all the golden age lyricism transported to the 80s. That's Sarde's Lovesick. Ooh! Meltissimo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Pearl Harbor real complete (Zimmer)

the openning sequence, nurses arrival to Pearl harbor , Letters from rafe....evern a Airborne "alternate" (I don't know from who is it), 8 minutes over tokyo....

Still no "Dogfight".

the orchestrations (even in action) are a little bit bland. but dammed! this score really rocks in his complete form!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Pearl Harbor ( a lot of guys)

A great mistake.

A lot of music ( i mean essential cues) from other composers, a lot of self rips from Gladiator and The Thin Red Line and a generic orchestrations in the generic action music.

"Tenesse" and "Then I kissed Him" are the only thing I can save from this score.

Nautilus wrote
    the orchestrations (even in action) are a little bit bland. but dammed! this score really rocks in his complete form!!!

This is Jordi ladies and gentlemen.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - man on fire

Very, very good and sentimental modern listen.

That's an interesting angle to approach this score from. I did get a sense of that while listening to this score recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

the openning sequence, nurses arrival to Pearl harbor , Letters from rafe....evern a Airborne "alternate" (I don't know from who is it), 8 minutes over tokyo....

Still no "Dogfight".

I would love a non SFX version of that "Dogfight" cue. I'm assuming that it's the one that's alternatively named as "Courage" on the other boots, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Still no "Dogfight".

I would too argue that this complete or recording sessions score double cd (or whatever else they call this) adds indeed way more depth to the whole score experience, as it has happened again in the past with another rc score, Harry Gregson WIlliams and Kingdom of Heaven whose double recording sessions-tagged cd is really mindblowingly good in places.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: Life On Earth - Edward Williams

This score is like meeting an old friend. I've not heard this since I first saw the series back in 1979 but it seems so familiar! Even the track titles bring back vivid images from this landmark series.

This is a completely different beast to the scores written by the likes of George Fenton for today's nature documentaties such as The Blue Planet, etc.

It's composed for a very small ensemble of players and saver for the title and end title tracks is very much of (what I'd call) a more avant garde-style of composition: there's not much in the way of hummable tunes, but it's more of a "mickey-mousing" style for live action.

For me, it's great to hear the end credits music as it was a piece that I'd always wait patiently to hear after the show had finished (hoping that the continuity announcer wouldn't talk over it). But, even though it's nice to hear David Attenborough's voice on the disc (during the first half of the final track) I wish the CD producers had left the voiceover off the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    All I said was that it sounds like Rozsa... I didn't say it was Rozsa or Peterson is the second coming of Rozsa.

I know. smile
    But you're just one of many invoking the image of Rozsa, so it's a comment I take seriously.

Give it a chance. Clips aren't going to do this score justice.

Well, in the past I've found Mikael's clips doing great justice to the general sound and feel of a score (which is a feature that, incidentally, I really appreciate!), so I don't know.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Pompei - Marco Frisina

Definitely one of his best! A melodic beauty with wonderful vocal passages; highly recommended! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Astro Boy - John Ottman

First listen. Hands down, Ottman's best score! shocked
    Also, some had mentioned the Williams similarities, however in my opinion he seems to be channeling Goldsmith as much as or more than Williams in this score. Not that it reaches those heights, but the stylistic similarities are apparent and it's quite enjoyable, feels less contrived than X2 or Superman Returns.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    This Thursday I'm going to introduce to my students to the divine world of Shakespeare through music, films, books and songs so I'm preparing myself by listening to:

Romeo and Juliet ~ Nino Rota
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fireworks

The best Shakespeare score for what may well be the best Shakespeare film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Astro Boy - John Ottman

Yeah... it's not bad. I still prefer The Usual Suspects and Incognito. Astro Boy has it's moments and a very memorable melody but it still sounds rather scattered and a tad ordinary. It actually sounds incomplete... almost like a rough draft without someone proof reading. I want to really like this score but it just doesn't resonate with me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    fireworks

The best Shakespeare score for what may well be the best Shakespeare film.

IMHO, Branagh's Henry V is the best Shakespeare film. Doyle's score is up there, too.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Astro Boy - John Ottman

Yeah... it's not bad. I still prefer The Usual Suspects and Incognito. Astro Boy has it's moments and a very memorable melody but it still sounds rather scattered and a tad ordinary. It actually sounds incomplete... almost like a rough draft without someone proof reading. I want to really like this score but it just doesn't resonate with me.

-Erik-

Ok, since I have neither of the aforementioned scores, perhaps I am not qualified to judge this as his best score smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Ok, since I have neither of the aforementioned scores, perhaps I am not qualified to judge this as his best score smile

I highly recommend you check them out.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar

In my top 10 best scores of the 90's cool

Agree!!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Couples Retreat - AR Rahman
    First listen. Oddly, I like this. Even the songs shocked It's reminiscent of Powell's work in the genre, but with the expected quasi-Indian stylings.

Interestingly, Remote Control was involved in the production of this score, and it was mixed by Alan Meyerson, who is responsible for the mixing of most of the better-sounding Team Zimmer and Team Howard scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Two Mules For Sister Sarah/Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

A fun western score and a beautiful lyrical score on one CD. A great one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I really like Jason & Cynthia Suite, the fine orchestral material in the first half. Animal Spirits is a great track too.

NP: TMNT (Promo) - Klaus Badelt

Fantastic MV styled action score with great themes and motifs. Love it! punk