• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    fireworks

The best Shakespeare score for what may well be the best Shakespeare film.

IMHO, Branagh's Henry V is the best Shakespeare film. Doyle's score is up there, too.

-Erik-

There are so many great scores for Shakespeare films. I love Walton's Henry V, Rota's R&J and more recently I think Goldenthal's Titus is truly outstanding (and his Othello ballet isn't bad either). I might have to be controversial and say I think Titus is my favourite Shakespeare film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Couples Retreat - AR Rahman
    First listen. Oddly, I like this. Even the songs shocked It's reminiscent of Powell's work in the genre, but with the expected quasi-Indian stylings.

I think it's a lot of fun, both songs and score. Some great tunes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    fireworks

IMHO, Branagh's Henry V is the best Shakespeare film. Doyle's score is up there, too.

-Erik-

There are so many great scores for Shakespeare films. I love Walton's Henry V, Rota's R&J and more recently I think Goldenthal's Titus is truly outstanding (and his Othello ballet isn't bad either). I might have to be controversial and say I think Titus is my favourite Shakespeare film.

Score wise I agree with Martijn, Rota's Romeo & Juliet is breathtakingly beautiful, one of the truly great scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Philippe Sarde - Sister Mary Explains It All / Lovesick / The Manhattan Project
    Goodness gracious! This is just fantastic! Lovesick is utterly sweeping and gorgeous. Think of all the golden age lyricism transported to the 80s. That's Sarde's Lovesick. Ooh! Meltissimo.

Where did you get this BP? Are all three of those scores on the one CD?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Pearl Harbor real complete (Zimmer)

the openning sequence, nurses arrival to Pearl harbor , Letters from rafe....evern a Airborne "alternate" (I don't know from who is it), 8 minutes over tokyo....

Still no "Dogfight".

I would love a non SFX version of that "Dogfight" cue. I'm assuming that it's the one that's alternatively named as "Courage" on the other boots, right?

Yeap. it is.

It's probably my favourite action cue, with this kind of walz like Gladiator but with the brother's theme.

Dammed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tiomkin's Old Man and the Sea
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Philippe Sarde - Sister Mary Explains It All / Lovesick / The Manhattan Project
    Goodness gracious! This is just fantastic! Lovesick is utterly sweeping and gorgeous. Think of all the golden age lyricism transported to the 80s. That's Sarde's Lovesick. Ooh! Meltissimo.

Where did you get this BP? Are all three of those scores on the one CD?

Varese Sarabande released it. Excellent album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Yeah, it's a combo cd of all three Marshall Brickman movie scores on 1 cd. Just $7 from Amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still spinning The Old Man and the Sea. An underappreciated score
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    fireworks

-Erik-

Lately I've discovered how brilliant Olivier's Shakespeare films were. HENRY V and HAMLET are both wonderful adaptations.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Bee Movie - Rupert Gregson-Williams

Highly enjoyable, breezy, brassy, orchestral score. Rivaled only by Wallace & Gromit and is much better than Monsters vs Aliens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Gods & Generals - John Frizzell and Randy Edelman
    Outstanding! Absolutely delightful to listen to, despite it's rather dramatic tone. The chorus passage in "To The Stone Wall" alone always blows me away. Curious to know why Edelman had to contribute to the music as well, since nothing that I heard sounds like it's coming mainly from his venue so I assume he's patched some of Frizzell's tunes.
  2. I have a feeling it was the other way around. Gods and Generals was directed by the guy who did Gettysburg. So I guess Edelman was actually hired first and some of the cues were retained (or he scored what he could do in the time he had and he gave the work to Frizzell)

Justin?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: The Dancer Upstairs (alberto iglesias)

I know it's a big call, but for me this 2002 political thriller score is the score of the decade. The simplicity and beauty of the tension, and the score's wounded romantic heart, are irresistable for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: Gods & Generals - John Frizzell and Randy Edelman
    Outstanding! Absolutely delightful to listen to, despite it's rather dramatic tone. The chorus passage in "To The Stone Wall" alone always blows me away. Curious to know why Edelman had to contribute to the music as well, since nothing that I heard sounds like it's coming mainly from his venue so I assume he's patched some of Frizzell's tunes.

It is, isn't it? Pretty underrated though!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I don't know off the top of my head, but I thought I read somewhere one composer had moved on, so another did some fixing.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    I don't know off the top of my head, but I thought I read somewhere one composer had moved on, so another did some fixing.

Source: BSOSpirit

"Randy was going to score the film, he was the first option. But he was also hired to score another film so he hadn't time to complete all the music needed. It was actually Randy who called me to work on the rest, and I was very thankful to do it. I also made good friends with the crew on that movie." - John Frizzell

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Yeah, that's what I read. So, my initial statement is retracted.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Yeah, it's a combo cd of all three Marshall Brickman movie scores on 1 cd. Just $7 from Amazon.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Working on my review of 5 Man Army/Morricone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Band Of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan)

An inspired videogame score that puts a lot of its film counterparts to shame. There are many memorable cues here and the underscore is always appropriate and never boring nor irritating. Everything clicks, and while having not heard the film version (maybe that's for the best) I can safely say this is genuine Harry Potter music, not unlike what maestro Williams himself has written.

Totally recommended. cool

Oh and the big action cue at the end may as well have been 2, 3 times longer. It's that stunning! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Transformers Cd 2 (Complete, suites and Demos)

Oh man...This is so BIG!

Since The Island I love Jablonsly's sound. He really does "high tech" scores.

Zimmer started this sound in M:I 2 but Jablonsky really improved the whole thing. In fact He doesn't know compose nothing else tongue But who cares!

"a call to arms" (unused) and "Battle" (unused) punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Henry V - Patrick Doyle

A very good one. Melodic and epic with some intimate and soft cues. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Extreme Close-Up - James Horner

A small and gentle score. Intimate and understated. One of those minimal, reflective outputs from Horner that I'm sure was perfect for the film but quite similar to other Horner scores of this ilk.
    Perhaps best played when the mood is right.
    It's quite good but not the surprise that House Of Cards was a few weeks earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah, "quite good" is about the best I could muster. Don't think I'll be listening to it very often.
  6. Yeah, I'd say that it's pretty boring even. But House of Cards? lick
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    House of Cards is fantastic.

It's a very nostalgic, soothing listen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.