• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    shocked UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!! shocked

Things To Come is SPECTACULAR! I can't get enough of "Attack on the Moon Gun." Was there ever an original soundtrack release or is there more music available else where? A grand work!

-Erik-

Having a look around - so you don't have to! - I don't think that there has ever been an OST release. And most of the re-recorded stuff includes tracks represented on the Chandos release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Things To Come is SPECTACULAR! I can't get enough of "Attack on the Moon Gun." Was there ever an original soundtrack release or is there more music available else where? A grand work!

-Erik-

Having a look around - so you don't have to! - I don't think that there has ever been an OST release. And most of the re-recorded stuff includes tracks represented on the Chandos release.

Thanks! I checked out soundtrackcollector briefly before posting so I suspected that there wasn't much else... but who knows. Thanks again! beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thanks! I checked out soundtrackcollector briefly before posting so I suspected that there wasn't much else... but who knows. Thanks again! beer

-Erik-

shame

All I did was check soundtrackcollector, going through all their entries. But I don't recall any other releases being mentioned at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

There is a suite which has been performed many times. I don't think the complete score has ever been recorded though. Chandos may prove me wrong with their back catalogue, however!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Here's a bit more detail:

http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/Departments/Mu … cordcd.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

This could be original tracks? http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.120597

It's the one referred to in the list above.

And some clips confirm that it sounds like an early recording:

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … px?pid=624
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Thanks for the all the digging, guys! In any case the Chandos suite is spectacular and I'm glad that I was finally introduced to that wonderful score! So, so, so, so much more to discover!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thanks for the all the digging, guys! In any case the Chandos suite is spectacular and I'm glad that I was finally introduced to that wonderful score! So, so, so, so much more to discover!!!

-Erik-

Just to restate that the "Nostalgia Naxos" disc may be original tracks:

..though the sound could be better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Just to restate that the "Nostalgia Naxos" disc may be original tracks:

..though the sound could be better!

Excellent! punk I'm certainly glad we have those re-recorded suites.

-Erik-
  4. I feel now my job is done. I'm off to bed. 'Night.

sleep
  5. I remember hearing this on an audio cassette from my local library in 1997. I haven't heard the suite in years, but the regal melody of the finale and the climactic 'Attack of the Moon Gun' come to mind in a second if I think about either.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Music of Richard Addinsell - Richard Addinsell
    Rumon Gumba and the BBC Philharmonic

Another lovely compilation highlighted by the popular "Warsaw Concerto" composed for the 1941 film Dangerous Moonlight - orchestrated by Roy Douglas. Easily one of the finest pieces of Golden Age film music these ears have ever heard. Interesting to read the origins of the piece in the liner notes. I'm not familiar with Sergei Rachmaninoff's work so I will have to hunt down "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" and his Second and Third Piano Concertos to hear the similarities in Addinsell's work. Anyway, this is wonderfully lyrical album.

-Erik-
  6. The Edge (Jerry Goldsmith)

Been ages since hearing this one. What joy revisiting it, first of all because of the brilliant theme, second due to the totally gobsmacking action music. Jerry never lost his masterful touch, even in his later years. The Edge and the ones that came after it are testament to that fact. The tribal sounding suspense cues couldn't have been written more effectively for such a survival / adventure thriller.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

Another lovely compilation highlighted by the popular "Warsaw Concerto" composed for the 1941 film Dangerous Moonlight - orchestrated by Roy Douglas. Easily one of the finest pieces of Golden Age film music these ears have ever heard. Interesting to read the origins of the piece in the liner notes. I'm not familiar with Sergei Rachmaninoff's work so I will have to hunt down "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" and his Second and Third Piano Concertos to hear the similarities in Addinsell's work. Anyway, this is wonderfully lyrical album.

-Erik-

The Rhapsody is on the album for Barry's Somewhere in Time, if you have that. You'll probably recognise it, it's a pretty famous piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    La Bibbia: Giacobbe - Marco Frisina

Amazing score with some beautiful vocal tracks. It really captures the ancient wonder of the Bible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Edge (Jerry Goldsmith)

I haven't listened to this in a while either. I agree on the theme, it's a cracker.

NP: Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The Rhapsody is on the album for Barry's Somewhere in Time, if you have that. You'll probably recognise it, it's a pretty famous piece.

Beat me to it. The Rachmaninoff piece is one of the most unashamedly glorious romantic pieces of music ever written and obviously played a large part in the popularity of Barry's soundtrack and it's huge sells.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This has now become MUST MUST have! punk

I have two versions of THINGS TO COME, one is ( the original score? ) on British Film Music - Volume II containing seven tracks totalling 24.45 minutes with the LSO conducted by the composer but it is, of course, a very old recording. The other one is Bernard Herrmann conducts Great British Film Music and that contains ( I'm going from memory ) five tracks and is approximately 10+ minutes but I do remember it contains the 'Moon Gun' music, I love this recording but it's been years since I've played it, it's on LP, one of his Phase 4 Decca recordings and I've no idea if it was ever released on CD?

Maybe Alan can confirm, but I'm sure Geoff Love did a darn fine version of the Things To Come March on one of his many albums!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    For 2 days I don't know wich score to play....

I listen scores, but no one with passion sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spiderman 2 - Danny Elfman

What an adrenaline-laden roller coaster ride! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

You need to ditch the crap you usually listen to and listen to some Horner instead.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Maybe Alan can confirm, but I'm sure Geoff Love did a darn fine version of the Things To Come March on one of his many albums!?

Yes, he did.

Star Wars and Other Space Themes

I didn't have this LP but a friend did, so I don't remember much about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You need to ditch the crap you usually listen to and listen to some Horner instead.

...or stop playing with your toy* and focus on the music.

* that Omnia thing, don´t take it the wrong way...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    The other one is Bernard Herrmann conducts Great British Film Music and that contains ( I'm going from memory ) five tracks and is approximately 10+ minutes but I do remember it contains the 'Moon Gun' music, I love this recording but it's been years since I've played it, it's on LP, one of his Phase 4 Decca recordings and I've no idea if it was ever released on CD?

It was, but it's a bit of a chore to find it: it's been out of print for years.

I'm sure Geoff Love did a darn fine version of the Things To Come March on one of his many albums!?

He certainly did!

Great album! cool

EDIT: Damn. Alan beat me to it. slant
    Oh well. At least I own the album! tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, he did.

Star Wars and Other Space Themes

I didn't have this LP but a friend did, so I don't remember much about it.

And here's clips for people outside Australia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Other … B001I4PKS4
  9. Innerspace (bootleg) (Jerry Goldsmith)

Earlier, I found this great sounding bootleg (great to me, not so great to some of you I can imagine wink but really compared to the bootleg that I've heard from years ago this is a huge improvement, you can even hear all of the instruments now, whereas the old one made my ears ache until they bled). This will do just fine, until someone from Intrada does the expected and releases this little gem. Goldsmith and Dante was always a winning combination in my book and Innerspace is just as much fun as their other collaborations. The main theme is already playing in my head for the entire day, how many current scores can claim that ?

Huh??

HUH ???
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek: Generations Dennis McCarthy

I prefer this to Jerry Goldsmith's score to The Final Frontier. There, I said it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek: Generations Dennis McCarthy

I prefer this to Jerry Goldsmith's score to The Final Frontier. There, I said it.

You can say this stuff but you can't mean it....surely? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Though I must admit The Nexus / A Christmas Hug is an absolutely spellbinding track cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is. And I do. (Bit of a childhood favourite too, one of the very first -if not the first- scores I listened to.)

Never really like Frontier as much as everyone else seems to? Got some nice action tracks, definitely, but I'm ney too keen on the new themes he composed. Never really connected with that score for some reason? Trust me, it's a rare thing for a Goldsmith score to elicit this kind of reaction from me! A very rare thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It is. And I do. (Bit of a childhood favourite too, one of the very first -if not the first- scores I listened to.)

Never really like Frontier as much as everyone else seems to? Got some nice action tracks, definitely, but I'm ney too keen on the new themes he composed. Never really connected with that score for some reason? Trust me, it's a rare thing for a Goldsmith score to elicit this kind of reaction from me! A very rare thing.

Ahhhh! I forgot this was one of your first scores in which case I totally understand your point of view and hell yeah, it isn't a bad score by anyones standards ( and a whole lot better than most ).