• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    christopher wrote
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

There are some gorgeous cues in this score. Very similar in sound to other beautiful scores he's written, but that's no bad thing!

Lovely score! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anthony wrote
    Sunil wrote
    UP - Michael Giacchino

I think i have started to fall in love with this score. Very nice score from Michael Giacchino. I personally think he certainly deserved to win Golden Globe Award. Well done! punk

A rubbish score. Avatar deserved to win.

A sense a hefty dose of sarcasm here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Daybreakers -- by Christopher Gordon

first listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm actually making an attempt now and it's really tough to cut [The Avengers] up.

-Erik-

Have you heard the suite on his 2 CD promo? Someone did a pretty good job of making a suite there. In fact, whoever made those suites (McNeely?) is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Daybreakers -- by Christopher Gordon

first listen

Not a "crowd pleaser", but it definitely pleases this Gordon fan! You do have to be in the mood for it though.
  3. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

first listen

Not a "crowd pleaser", but it definitely pleases this Gordon fan! You do have to be in the mood for it though.

the first track is very good, the second very moody smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

A favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm actually making an attempt now and it's really tough to cut [The Avengers] up.

-Erik-

Have you heard the suite on his 2 CD promo? Someone did a pretty good job of making a suite there. In fact, whoever made those suites (McNeely?) is awesome.

No I haven't. I would love to hear that promo. Anyway, I'll upload my quick and dirty version to YOUTUBE shortly. I'll be creating a new thread actually for people like myself who create suites to share their work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'll be creating a new thread actually for people like myself who create suites to share their work.

-Erik-

good idea, I'm sure that thread will have a lot of success
  5. Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' from the same score as above

Great.

I think it has aged VERY fast, specially when compared to other composer´s (like Brian Tyler) works where the mix of electronics and orchestra are much better. I played it the other day (that mona Lisa cue) and it is really simple and verging on a simple disco tune. It reminded me of those former Zimmer works that I loved at the time but are totally dated now and are unbearable to my ears.

What elevates it is that the orchestrated parts by Davis are SO GOOD. There's almost no electronic / orchestral fusion I can think of where the orchestral writing is this impressive.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Great.

I think it has aged VERY fast, specially when compared to other composer´s (like Brian Tyler) works where the mix of electronics and orchestra are much better. I played it the other day (that mona Lisa cue) and it is really simple and verging on a simple disco tune. It reminded me of those former Zimmer works that I loved at the time but are totally dated now and are unbearable to my ears.

What elevates it is that the orchestrated parts by Davis are SO GOOD. There's almost no electronic / orchestral fusion I can think of where the orchestral writing is this impressive.

I was going to say the same thing. I think the fusion of techno and orchestra is BRILLIANT!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

first listen

I might be hearing things but the opening track reminded me of Batman Begins / A Dark Knight.... confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

A favourite.

One of the best scores he ever wrote. All the elements that set Thomas Newman's sound apart are there. Pure quality and emotion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Great.

I think we can safely say he's one of the few composers who are good orchestrators at the same time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK NEMESIS - Jerry Goldsmith

Very near the bottom in Goldsmith's Trek canon but it still has some very fine moments and I'm enjoying it right now.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

first listen

I might be hearing things but the opening track reminded me of Batman Begins / A Dark Knight.... confused

That's just the electronics doing sixteenths from 1:40-2:20. It sounds a bit like it, but the problem with all of the new BATMAN music is that it's so simple that someone else could write it by accident. wink Meanwhile Gordon's strings do a divisi thing that JNH might be capable of, but Zimmer has never indicated it if he can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Great.

I was going to say the same thing. I think the fusion of techno and orchestra is BRILLIANT!!!

-Erik-

Then it´s just me, but it sounds like a cheap disco session to me.

Edit: let´s elaborate a little bit on this one. I mean don´t you think that, for example, Brian Tyler´s "Symphonic Touge" from The Fast and the Furious 3 is better orchestrated and the orchestra and the techno blend together much better?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  7. I'm not saying that the electronics haven't dated, but it's the other half of the track that elevates the whole thing for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm not saying that the electronics haven't dated, but it's the other half of the track that elevates the whole thing for me.

Sorry I mean the track called "The Fast And The Furious Tokyo Drift", not Sympohnic Touge (which is the one fully orchestral).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tyler, for one, is a good orchestrator, and a perfect blender of electronics with orchestra. Truth to be told, he's not original, but what he does, technically, he does it pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ARMAND AMAR - home

Poetic atmospheres, heartfelt instrument soli, exotic sounds and deep melody. This man has a bag full of tricks for this kind of projects. Very effective in the documentary it accompanies and a solid listening experience on standalone cd.
  8. McNeely, for those interested, has kept on with "American Dad", so now he's contributed scores to seasons 4 and 5.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm not saying that the electronics haven't dated, but it's the other half of the track that elevates the whole thing for me.

Sorry I mean the track called "The Fast And The Furious Tokyo Drift", not Sympohnic Touge (which is the one fully orchestral).

I can't say I've heard a lot of Tyler's stuff since he first made a splash. I have a lot of the initial scores he did, but everytime I've heard a bit of a subsequent score, it hasn't seemed like my cup of tea.

I appreciate that Mona Lisa isn't an integrated work. It definitely shifts between an orchestral writer and an electronics group, but that's part of what I like about it. It's a kind of call-and-response thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Great.

Best I've heard in a film score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

So good!

Looking forward to the much-rumoured release of Batman and Robin but I hope they give it a proper release and not an unlistenable every-last-note one. (Of course, they'll do the unlistenable one, but there's always hope.)
  10. There's an interestin cue in "Final Destination 1" that has the secondary(?) theme from the score in it, but the backing is kind of a faux techno beat (none of any of the rest of the score had that in it).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

So good!

Looking forward to the much-rumoured release of Batman and Robin but I hope they give it a proper release and not an unlistenable every-last-note one. (Of course, they'll do the unlistenable one, but there's always hope.)

If I take out all the Ridder music then the album is a definite winner!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Southall wrote

So good!

I don't know if I could ever be interested in the score to a movie that bad... in case you need a refresher:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWpmPGCR1c
  11. Erik Woods wrote

If I take out all the Ridder music then the album is a definite winner!

-Erik-

I love that stuff! It's part of the zanyness of the music. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

Been a couple of months since my last listen. Still love it.