• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

If I take out all the Ridder music then the album is a definite winner!

-Erik-

I love that stuff! It's part of the zanyness of the music. punk

A little TOO zany for me. I find the powerful orchestral writing to be the highlight for me... and for those that have heard my suite can hear why... more on that when I create the EDITED SUITES thread wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    adam wrote
    I don't know if I could ever be interested in the score to a movie that bad... in case you need a refresher:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWpmPGCR1c

Man, if quality of film is a consideration for listening to a score, I'm afraid most of Goldsmith's scores are out, pretty much all of Mark McKenzie's, and everything that Joel McNeely or Bruce Broughton have scored in the last 10 years. But I agree with you that the film is terrible.

NP - Life as a House - Mark Isham

I really enjoy this score. There are some really really beautiful tracks in there, and some that are just really happy. Not every track sounds the same, though, which I appreciate. It's a great little score that probably doesn't get noticed as much as some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    christopher wrote
    adam wrote
    I don't know if I could ever be interested in the score to a movie that bad... in case you need a refresher:

Man, if quality of film is a consideration for listening to a score, I'm afraid most of Goldsmith's scores are out, pretty much all of Mark McKenzie's, and everything that Joel McNeely or Bruce Broughton have scored in the last 10 years. But I agree with you that the film is terrible.

What Christopher said.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

So good!

Looking forward to the much-rumoured release of Batman and Robin but I hope they give it a proper release and not an unlistenable every-last-note one. (Of course, they'll do the unlistenable one, but there's always hope.)

I hope that's true they're in the process of assembling it James. And I hope they keep it to 1 CD, it's not like the complete provided the best listening experience, know what I mean?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    more on that when I create the EDITED SUITES thread wink

-Erik-

You know, that's a brilliant idea! I have lots of custom videogame suites too that I could share, just so people could sample a little bit of the great videogame music out there. Looking forward to the topic. wave punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    adam wrote
    Southall wrote

So good!

Looking forward to the much-rumoured release of Batman and Robin but I hope they give it a proper release and not an unlistenable every-last-note one. (Of course, they'll do the unlistenable one, but there's always hope.)

I'm struggling to see the irony in your post there. Please tell me you're being ironic? Please?
  3. "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" (Bolume 1, Joseph LoDuca)

Again, this time giving it a review for MainTitles.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Steven wrote
    adam wrote
    Southall wrote

So good!

I'm struggling to see the irony in your post there. Please tell me you're being ironic? Please?

Perhaps I'm different from many of the people on this forum in that I don't actively seek out soundtracks to movies I hate....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Oh, and:

face-palm-mt

Nobody actively seeks out scores to movies they hate. We just happen to enjoy good music regardless of where it's from! (For the most part.)

You've got a horribly skewed appreciation of film music, buddy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not sure where I'd begin on a list of scores I love that were shite movies!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Anthony wrote
    Sunil wrote
    UP - Michael Giacchino

I think i have started to fall in love with this score. Very nice score from Michael Giacchino. I personally think he certainly deserved to win Golden Globe Award. Well done! punk

A rubbish score. Avatar deserved to win.

Avatar is completely rubbish score. At least, Up contains more original music, but Avatar contains most repeated works, just sucks and moreover, he shamelessly copied from Hans Zimmer music. Horner is completely Shame Shame Puppy Shame guy. biggrin bounce
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Oh, and:

face-palm-mt

Nobody actively seeks out scores to movies they hate. We just happen to enjoy good music regardless of where it's from! (For the most part.)

OK, OK, I really just wanted to post that youtube link. Did you watch it? Yeah, I tend to seek out more music by film composers I like regardless of if I've seen the movie or not.

PS, what did you think of the Gigli soundtrack?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Sunil wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Sunil wrote
    UP - Michael Giacchino

I think i have started to fall in love with this score. Very nice score from Michael Giacchino. I personally think he certainly deserved to win Golden Globe Award. Well done! punk

A rubbish score. Avatar deserved to win.

Avatar is completely rubbish score. At least, Up contains more original music, but Avatar contains most repeated works, just sucks and moreover, he shamelessly copied from Hans Zimmer music. Horner is completely Shame Shame Puppy Shame guy. biggrin bounce

: Yawn :
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    adam wrote
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Oh, and:

face-palm-mt

OK, OK, I really just wanted to post that youtube link. Did you watch it? Yeah, I tend to seek out more music by film composers I like regardless of if I've seen the movie or not.

PS, what did you think of the Gigli soundtrack?

Very romantic and sentimental. Love it. Have never watched the film of course.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: In the Electric Mist (Marco Beltrami)

Contains two of my favourite tracks from the last year in film music - 'Dave Robicheaux' and the gentle folk song 'La Terre Tremblante'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael would you agree about the influences on some tracks by the Powell's Bourne trademarked string ostinato and also "Minstrel Boy (Film Version)" as appears in the BLACKHAWK DOWN soundtrack, by Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros? Although not directly noticeable (the bourne more obvious that the bhd song), still i got that clear impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: In the Electric Mist (Marco Beltrami)

Contains two of my favourite tracks from the last year in film music - 'Dave Robicheaux' and the gentle folk song 'La Terre Tremblante'.

I must listen to this one again. Loved it.
  5. What's going on there is that Minstrel Boy is an old folk song (re-performed for BHD), which is the same idiom that La Terre Tremblante is meant to be part of. But there's so many ways that Beltrami could have been influenced to write it, and for me it doesn't seem likely that BLACK HAWK DOWN was the point of inspiration. There's too many more direct ways it could have happened.

I haven't listened to the action tracks often enough to notice whether there's a link to Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    What's going on there is that Minstrel Boy is an old folk song (re-performed for BHD), which is the same idiom that La Terre Tremblante is meant to be part of. But there's so many ways that Beltrami could have been influenced to write it, and for me it doesn't seem likely that BLACK HAWK DOWN was the point of inspiration. There's too many more direct ways it could have happened.

I haven't listened to the action tracks often enough to notice whether there's a link to Powell.

I know, i am not saying it's BHD influenced, but that it reminded me of that song as appeared in the film version of BHD.

As for the action cues, you created a custom playlist and left them out i suppose? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael would you agree about the influences on some tracks by the Powell's Bourne trademarked string ostinato

Not only in the "In the electric Mist" score but also in Beltrami´s "The Hurt Locker". Powell´s shadow is long.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    Yeap, i heard correctly then. I'd say that although i'd not considered Powell a widely influential composer, still his BOURNE ostinatos are everywhere and for a good reason wink

Same goes for the DARK KNIGHT / BATMAN mannerisms by Zimmer, which are also practically everywhere. Even in Gordon, although that last example - even if it sounds pretty influenced in some places of Daybreakers, still for Gordon alone, it might have been a case of extreme coincidence. smile
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    What's going on there is that Minstrel Boy is an old folk song (re-performed for BHD), which is the same idiom that La Terre Tremblante is meant to be part of. But there's so many ways that Beltrami could have been influenced to write it, and for me it doesn't seem likely that BLACK HAWK DOWN was the point of inspiration. There's too many more direct ways it could have happened.

I know, i am not saying it's BHD influenced, but that it reminded me of that song as appeared in the film version of BHD.

As for the action cues, you created a custom playlist and left them out i suppose? smile

Just unticked them in iTunes. But I listened to a couple just then, and I agree, there's a bit of BOURNE there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not implying anything in a negative manner, by the way. It's an excellent score (both DB and In the electric mist), i am just noticing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, i heard correctly then. I'd say that although i'd not considered Powell a widely influential composer, still his BOURNE ostinatos are everywhere and for a good reason wink

I agree. Powell´s Bourne ostinatos are unmistakable and can be heard everywhere nowadays.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Same goes for the DARK KNIGHT / BATMAN mannerisms by Zimmer, which are also practically everywhere. Even in Gordon, although that last example - even if it sounds pretty influenced in some places of Daybreakers, still for Gordon alone, it might have been a case of extreme coincidence. smile

Seriously, I think he would have a heart attack if he heard someone with musical discernment thought he'd written something Zimmeresque. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know. It reminds it vividly although it's a much higher level of composition, thus this is why it's very possible that it's pure coincidence! Btw i've been listening non-stop to DB and also Mao's last dancer yesterday, his talents are truly not utilized as much as they should, in today's film music. Very impressive composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    his talents are truly not utilized as much as they should, in today's film music. Very impressive composer.

Sadly, the very same could be said about many composers...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. But Gordon's one of the most prominent and every single work he releases is a loud proof. smile
  8. I do know what you're saying though D. I heard it myself when DAYBREAKERS was being recorded in March '08 and then later that year, DARK KNIGHT came out and I was reminded of it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote

Your opinion is rendered invalid due to incessant complaining.