• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    It was rendered invalid long before that. At birth I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Seems ages since I last listened to this. Bloody brilliant though. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Seems ages since I last listened to this. Bloody brilliant though. cool

If you're listening to the regular album, the complete is even better. Take away a few of the shorter tracks and all the source cues, add the end credits track from the regular album on the end and you have yourself a great album. I even keep the Universal fanfare at the start since it's a great way to start the score, just like the Fox fanfare on the Star Wars albums (plus it's Goldsmith's composition anyway).

Timeline Jerry Goldsmith

Love it. Synth farts and all. cool
  1. Steel Magnolias - Georges Delerue

The theme is nice, of course, and all of its appearances on this score are good, but to me the real star of this score is a track that I've never heard in any suites. "The Drive to Aunt Fern's" is the name of it. What a GORGEOUS piece of music! From start to finish we get music that doesn't repeat the familiar theme at all, but which is even more beautiful than that famous theme, imo. It passes the melody from a glorious solo violin to the full orchestra, then to solo flute, back to orchestra, etc. It's a wonderful track from start to finish. I think it's one of my favorite things Delerue ever wrote.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, i heard correctly then. I'd say that although i'd not considered Powell a widely influential composer, still his BOURNE ostinatos are everywhere and for a good reason wink

I agree. Powell´s Bourne ostinatos are unmistakable and can be heard everywhere nowadays.

Bourne is frequently temped by editors. As is the Dark Knight. Both are great at adding a sense of urgency to a boring movie. Lazy composers copy temp tracks...
  2. Or scared directors.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Steven wrote
    It was rendered invalid long before that. At birth I'd say.

Jesus man... I was just sipping from my coke when nearly all of it when the other way !!

lol
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Love with the Proper Stranger - Elmer Bernstein

Gorgeous. Stunning.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

First listen (yes, really)...this is bliss! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

First listen (yes, really)...this is bliss! cool

Great score! And one of the very best album covers, on LP it would be superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indeed, the cover is gorgeous and retro! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Rocketeer is one of the all time greats!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In the Electric Mist - Marco Beltrami

Superb. One of his top three scores and one of 2009's best.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I know nothing about this score in honesty. Are any expanded releases planned or on peoples wishlists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I know nothing about this score in honesty. Are any expanded releases planned or on peoples wishlists?

It's one of the all time greats but an expanded version is not on my wishlist - very happy with what we already have!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If I could only take five pieces of film music with me when I get sent to prison or a desert island, then "Rocketeer to the Rescue / End Title" would be one of them.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What would the other four be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A very interesting question. Wouldn't want more than one by any particular composer. From Williams? Maybe "The Battle of Hoth" (though "Journey to the Island" would run it close). Goldsmith? "The Enterprise", I guess. Then I'd have to take the end title from "The Last Metro" (my all-time-favourite theme) and then I'd have to choose something by Morricone, but Christ knows what.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    In the Electric Mist - Marco Beltrami

Superb. One of his top three scores and one of 2009's best.

What's it like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    A very interesting question. Wouldn't want more than one by any particular composer. From Williams? Maybe "The Battle of Hoth" (though "Journey to the Island" would run it close). Goldsmith? "The Enterprise", I guess. Then I'd have to take the end title from "The Last Metro" (my all-time-favourite theme) and then I'd have to choose something by Morricone, but Christ knows what.

Solitude from THE THING? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBIN AND MARIAN - John Barry

Wonderful score with one of, IMO, Barry's greatest themes, totally beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's one of the all time greats but an expanded version is not on my wishlist - very happy with what we already have!

Me too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Listening to my favorite work ever while preparing for a lecture tomorrow (I am replacing a doctor who can't attend). Publishing an essay about it here just to read a very warm comment which basically says "Yes, you were right" from Zimmer himself is an experience I will never forget and will treasure for the rest of my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Listening to my favorite work ever while preparing for a lecture tomorrow (I am replacing a doctor who can't attend). Publishing an essay about it here just to read a very warm comment which basically says "Yes, you were right" from Zimmer himself is an experience I will never forget and will treasure for the rest of my life.

Zimmer sent you a mail about something you wrote on here? Very cool! How did that happen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolfen - James Horner

Listening to this, hearing where parts of his Star Trek scores and much of Aliens comes from, I must say I'd love to hear a proper release. Great score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Wolfen - James Horner

Listening to this, hearing where parts of his Star Trek scores and much of Aliens comes from, I must say I'd love to hear a proper release. Great score.

Is this a b*** James?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Zimmer sent you a mail about something you wrote on here? Very cool! How did that happen?

I'm interested too?
  5. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not a mail. I've had him as a Facebook friend for a few weeks. The article on the score (an interpretation essay) was originally written for my website and about two years later (ended it in the first weeks of January) translated to English and published it on MainTitles.

Zimmer doesn't just add anyone, in fact he doesn't appear in search. I tend to add composers to Facebook also due to my film directing dreams and I had the opportunity to chat with a few of them (Deborah Lurie, John Ottman, Mark Isham are possibly the most prominent chats I had). I was recommended by a user also here on maintitles and Zimmer, based on it, added it. The proof that it is the real deal is that he mostly adds his collaborators and was accepted by his daughter and even she tagged pictures of him.

The article was posted here on Wednesday evening to night. I linked it on my Facebook profile the same day. Thursday morning I had my student hours on the university and used the opportunity to check my mail. My heart almost stopped for a while when I read "Hans Zimmer commented on your link". It proved me even more that it is the real deal, his comment to me is in his typical style (also what triggered him being the real deal on Facebook was that he thanked Christopher Lennertz for a day in the studio). Zimmer's comment is present on my Facebook wall under my link posted to this site. That's all the story. I may quote the comment here if asked for, but if you're interested, I'd encourage you to read it on my Facebook profile. I just know that it's hard to believe (I still can't!) that Hans Zimmer commented on a work I wrote on him on my Facebook profile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Wolfen - James Horner

Is this a b*** James?

Yes - sound is OK, but nowhere near as good as a proper CD would be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nice story, Pawel! I'll read your article later. Just read the first few paragraphs - looks very interesting.