• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Now this is one of his more more coherent and enjoyable orchestral scores. Like it a lot!
  1. Signs - James Newton Howard

I LOVE the final two tracks of this score. They are such a perfect conclusion to all the ideas that he builds over the course of the score. They are among the finest pieces Howard has ever written, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    NP : THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN - Elmer Bernstein

Brilliant and rightly considered as an all time classic! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Now this is one of his more more coherent and enjoyable orchestral scores. Like it a lot!

I've just ordered it after watching the film and immediately liking the music. See that's the way I want to find the hidden treasures from now on, the classic way, by hearing them inside the film. But then I would miss a lot of treasures as my film viewings have diminished each year.

Anyway I like early Doyle, I just wasn't always convinced by his later work, except for Eragon.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Beyond Borders (horner)

Meanwhile Avatar is not available.

Beyond Borders is brilliant. Mind Blowing. Inventive. Touching. It has his faults for sure, but it's the last truely good score from Horner and one of his most brilliants.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    In my opinion the best of that year. Four feathers was close, but Beyond Borders is the winner for me!
    And a great realease, with the correct running time.
  3. I hated some of the electronics, the potential was wasted for me because of that. Great themes, some amazing orchestrations and one of Horner's most gripping action pieces (Chechnya II), but then came Cambodia II, which borders on funny.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    christopher wrote
    Signs - James Newton Howard

I LOVE the final two tracks of this score. They are such a perfect conclusion to all the ideas that he builds over the course of the score. They are among the finest pieces Howard has ever written, IMO.

This and THE VILLAGE, easily his best material to date!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: 'Dave Robicheaux' from IN THE ELECTRIC MIST (Beltrami)

This, and the song that follows it, are the gems of this score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

I was playing it on the CD player today. My parents actually listened and loved it, especially the piano based tracks, and even asked me to burn a copy for listening in the car. And they're the last people on Earth you can expect to listen to film scores! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    LSH wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    They have, he'll be scoring "Gnomeo And Juliet" next year.

Right... I didn't know that was a Disney film.

It's actually Miramax, and I'm sure the soundtrack will be filled with Elton John songs! rolleyes

NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

I prefer Treasure Planet for its memorable theme, but (the latter half of) Atlantis has much more powerful orchestration and better listening experience cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hmm... Miramax allowed Varese to release the new Marianelli score. So, fingers crossed! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    [edit]

BRIAN TYLER - the killing room

Surprise of the month for me.
  5. Killing Room, I gather??
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeah. Didn't he also do a killing floor score?
  6. DemonStar wrote

I was playing it on the CD player today. My parents actually listened and loved it, especially the piano based tracks, and even asked me to burn a copy for listening in the car. And they're the last people on Earth you can expect to listen to film scores! cool

again two people who have been reformed, all through the power of filmmusic punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh I don't think they've been reformed, but at least they won't get annoyed if I turn this one up loud! biggrin
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Christodoulides wrote
    [edit]

BRIAN TYLER - the killing room

Surprise of the month for me.

The CD album is wayyy too long imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Oh I don't think they've been reformed, but at least they won't get annoyed if I turn this one up loud! biggrin

I can't imagine living in a house where people don't like film music!? My whole family likes film music, and even my flatmates at uni like film music. That must suck...
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

again two people who have been reformed, all through the power of filmmusic punk

It's hard not to fall in love with it, the addictive main theme does wonders for the uninitiated I can assume.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I can't imagine living in a house where people don't like film music!? My whole family likes film music, and even my flatmates at uni like film music. That must suck...

It's not that they don't like it, but just are not interested at all in it and get annoyed if I put it up loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Even that I can't imagine!
  8. Windtalkers (James Horner)

A score with a lot of recycled ideas but at least it has a wonderful theme, that's very cleverly used for the sad tracks as a sort of elegy and also a kickass action motif during the intense cues. Without it the score would have been more miss than hit, because of how unoriginal the other music sounds. Not a great one for sure, but I like it for the reason I mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    The fact that I'm a film score fan in a country 99% filled with "scores are just boring background music" people is a miracle enough. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Windtalkers (James Horner)

A score with a lot of recycled ideas but at least it has a wonderful theme, that's very cleverly used for the sad tracks as a sort of elegy and also a kickass action motif during the intense cues. Without it the score would have been more miss than hit, because of how unoriginal the other music sounds. Not a great one for sure, but I like it for the reason I mentioned.

I love that score. I know it's far from being a fan favourite (or even non-fan favourite), but it's Horner in militaristic mode with a strong main theme. Wins me over every time. (I wouldn't say it's entirely devoid of originality, some of the orchestrations in the action tracks have somewhat unique qualities to them relative to Horner's past output. But then I'm a little more forgiving of Horner than your average score fan.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't at least like some film music. And my good lady Mel loves a lot of what I play, her particular favourite of the moment is Desplat's Lust, Caution but she'll pull an 'I don't like this' face when I'm playing stuff like Alien wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Well, I can understand Mel, I assure you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh well, almost all people out here are film music fans as well, albeit a different kind of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

One of the greats; absolutely fantastic. Also one of the few 90-minute releases where I wouldn't want to lose a note.