• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Gatelfold artwork! Wasn't Star Trek III: The Search For Spock gatefold? I remember the photos being excellent - and big!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    I've always wanted to ask...what's a 'gatefold' and why is it called that?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HERE!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    HERE!

wink

-Erik-

Boooooring!

Much more interesting if we'll have a conversation about it like regular folks, you know like they used to before the interwebz. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Gatelfold artwork! Wasn't Star Trek III: The Search For Spock gatefold? I remember the photos being excellent - and big!

Yes it was and it included an extra disc with the pop arrangement of Spock's theme.

Other gatefolds I have/had include....off the top of my head...

Ben-Hur
    El-Cid
    Planet of The Apes
    Space 1999
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Live And Let Die
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Close Encounter of The 3rd Kind**
    Superman*
    Star Wars*
    The Empire Strikes Back*
    Star Trek III

* cheating really as they're double LP sets.

** included a pop arrangement 45 rpm single of the theme
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    HERE!

wink

-Erik-

Boooooring!

Much more interesting if we'll have a conversation about it like regular folks, you know like they used to before the interwebz. smile

You asked what a gatefold was, Google pointed the way. What's there to discuss? Was your question answered? If yes, end of story.

Now, if you want to talk about the esthetics of the LP design then let's have at it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Gatelfold artwork! Wasn't Star Trek III: The Search For Spock gatefold? I remember the photos being excellent - and big!

Yes it was and it included an extra disc with the pop arrangement of Spock's theme.

Other gatefolds I have/had include....off the top of my head...

Ben-Hur
    El-Cid
    Planet of The Apes
    Space 1999
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Live And Let Die
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Close Encounter of The 3rd Kind**
    Superman*
    Star Wars*
    The Empire Strikes Back*
    Star Trek III

* cheating really as they're double LP sets.

** included a pop arrangement 45 rpm single of the theme

For anyone interested, here's the "pop" arrangement of CE3K, I think I only played it a couple of times.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

p.s. This isn't, as someone posts, the MECO version, as far as I know Williams recorded this himself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, The new releases don't have such problems.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Tim, was this one of the images in the gatefold across the two pages? I think it's also in the new FSM artwork/liner notes. But it's really really small in comparison.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    HERE!

wink

-Erik-

Boooooring!

You asked what a gatefold was, Google pointed the way. What's there to discuss? Was your question answered? If yes, end of story.

Now, if you want to talk about the esthetics of the LP design then let's have at it.

-Erik-

Well, I always knew what it was, physically. And I kinda get the meaning of the 'fold' bit - since it's an LP cover that can be opened and folded(!?). But I don't really get where the 'gate' part of the word comes from. Where's the 'gate'?

Etymology is fun!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

So there is absolutely NO surface noise whatsoever. And what after repeated listens. It's still a needle digging into a piece of vinyl. That's gotta cause some sort of damage... no matter how small.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, was this one of the images in the gatefold across the two pages? I think it's also in the new FSM artwork/liner notes. But it's really really small in comparison.

That's it! Wonderful shot!! cool
  3. Damn Thor. I hadn't really questioned that - until now. Why "gate"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Well, I always knew what it was, physically. And I kinda get the meaning of the 'fold' bit - since it's an LP cover that can be opened and folded(!?). But I don't really get where the 'gate' part of the word comes from. Where's the 'gate'?

Etymology is fun!!

Becauase it opens like a gate. I guess they could have called it a doorfold... because doors open the same way. tongue

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So there is absolutely NO service noise whatsoever. And what after repeated listens. It's still a needle digging into a piece of vinyl. That's gotta cause some sort of damage... no matter how small.

-Erik-

I don't "get" this vinyl revival thing that's going on? But then, I no longer own excellent equipment to play it on. I do get a warm nostalgia out of it, there's nothing quite like having a 12" by 12" cover, CD's don't even come a poor close second.

p.s. GATE...what Erik said above. has people got thick or sumpin? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No specific reason...like you buy cd's, you also buy lp's. It's the same thing. Plus all the new releases sound great, no relation to the older scratchy lp's. Materials and manufacturing techniques have changed greatly through the years, the same goes for the lp players, styluses and all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    No specific reason...like you buy cd's, you also buy lp's. It's the same thing. Plus all the new releases sound great, no relation to the older scratchy lp's. Materials and manufacturing techniques have changed greatly through the years, the same goes for the lp players, styluses and all.

I can vouch for that, the set up my friend has is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So there is absolutely NO service noise whatsoever. And what after repeated listens. It's still a needle digging into a piece of vinyl. That's gotta cause some sort of damage... no matter how small.

-Erik-

I don't "get" this vinyl revival thing that's going on? But then, I no longer own excellent equipment to play it on. I do get a warm nostalgia out of it, there's nothing quite like having a 12" by 12" cover, CD's don't even come a poor close second.

I thought THIS was a gate. It would have made more sense if it was called 'bookfold' or something, since it opens and folds like a book.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I thought THIS was a gate. It would have made more sense if it was called 'bookfold' or something, since it opens like a book.

No, those are saloon doors. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... stupid ass dumby over here... wave Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Tell me, HONESTLY, is there a major difference in sound quality? Would you rather have a CD or an LP... and I'm talking strictly sound quality.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no major difference unless you're a freaking audiophile with lots of money to throw away, which i am not. But i don't understand your hatred towards it, where's the problem if you buy lp's? it's also a psychological, sentimental thing too, the whole setup, to see the disc spinning whilst sitting next to it and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I bloody love vinyl.
    I also bloody love CDs.

Oh, and I bloody love MP3.

Wanna piece of me?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does it cost?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I won't go higher than 5 pence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There's no hatred. Christ, can you tell I was having some fun with my previous post?

What I know is that in time that LP is going to get warped, the needle is going to start doing damage and the album will not sound the same years down the road. Plus, who wants to flip the album over after 20 minutes of playing time? Yuk! Why don't we all break out our Laserdisc collections while we're at it!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In 1 pence pieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Well, thing is that with the new lp players and new lp releases, the disc needs so much plays to wear off than what i'll probably give it in a lifetime wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    In 1 pence pieces.

Did you just say you wan' pee one me??? shocked

Oh, you done it now!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not yet I haven't, in my own time if you please tongue wink