• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    Marc Shaiman will be the music director this time - http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/marc- … -director/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Will Hans Zimmer win Oscar this year for his excellent score Angels & Demons? slant
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The AMPAS doesn't seem to be keen on him these days. My bet is the winner will be Ennio Morricone's Baaria, although I would also be rooting for Giacchino's Up and Desplat's Coco Avant Chanel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ah! i will be extremely happy if Morricone win oscar this year. I pray that this should happen. What a composer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Honestly, I don't really think that Morricone will win - or that he even will be nominated, for that matter. I would be the happiest if he would be nominated or won, but since Baaria is not the international success it was meant to be, the American critics didn't like it at all, I don't think that either the movie or its artistic parts (music, acting, cinematography, etc.) will win.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shaiman is a surprising but obvious choice.

Giacchino hated doing it and struggled to balance it with the pilot of Fringe, Lost season 5, Star Trek, and about every other movie due out in Summer 09.

Considering how little film work Shaiman is doing these days (cry) I think he'll put on quite a show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shaiman's done it before. He's a very funny guy and I'm sure we'll have a couple of amusing montages (not that I'll watch it, but still).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not a very surprising choice.....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still a little early yet as there are a few more to be released
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Will Hans Zimmer win Oscar this year for his excellent score Angels & Demons? slant

It won't get nominated. And quite rightly so IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It seems like Horner's Avatar score is a strong contender this time. At least it was great even in those short clips and the movie's certainly getting a lot of publicity/hype, which the AMPAS gentlemen dig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Most Oscar-nominated scores are from films released during December. So, time to keep an eye out for the likely contenders from now on. I'm hopelessly out of touch these days - apart from Avatar, what major scores are coming up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There's "Everyone's Fine" by Dario Marianelli, and Hans Zimmer's "Sherlock Holmes" (I doubt it'll be nominated though). Marianelli could have a chance possibly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    There's "Everyone's Fine" by Dario Marianelli, and Hans Zimmer's "Sherlock Holmes" (I doubt it'll be nominated though). Marianelli could have a chance possibly.

Nah,

I'd say that TWILIGHT: NEW MOON
    and AVATAR would be the first 2.
  1. Desplat and Marianelli will be nominated

because the Oscars are so predictable
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited
    I think Up getting a nomination would be wishful thinking. shame

Desplat is bound to be up for something though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Desplat and Marianelli will be nominated

No, it's because they worth it, for their output this year. Agora and Twilight 2 are 2 of the worthiest major scores this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Most Oscar-nominated scores are from films released during December. So, time to keep an eye out for the likely contenders from now on. I'm hopelessly out of touch these days - apart from Avatar, what major scores are coming up?

As James said watch next month
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote
    Honestly, I don't really think that Morricone will win - or that he even will be nominated, for that matter.

Makes me wonder whether anyone has ever won, or even been nominated after winning the Honorary Award.

The odds are certainly stacked against him. But it would indeed be hella cool.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    keky wrote
    Honestly, I don't really think that Morricone will win - or that he even will be nominated, for that matter.

Makes me wonder whether anyone has ever won, or even been nominated after winning the Honorary Award.

The odds are certainly stacked against him. But it would indeed be hella cool.

Peter smile

Don't think that anyone ever has
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I would love if New Moon is nominated, but sadly the movie has gotten quite negative critical reviews till now so I doubt it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DemonStar wrote
    I would love if New Moon is nominated, but sadly the movie has gotten quite negative critical reviews till now so I doubt it.

This is a movie for the masses
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah. But the Oscar dudes seem to prefer movies which appeal to critics, and this one was panned a lot. Oh well, Desplat truly deserves an Oscar and I'd be thrilled if he gets it for New Moon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hold your breath, cross your fingers, but don't turn blue
    Thomas
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

No, it's because they worth it, for their output this year. Agora and Twilight 2 are 2 of the worthiest major scores this year.

I haven't heard those 2 (yet), and they might be worth it

but the Oscars have always been about personal favourites and acclaimed movies, not the best possible music. Or else how do you explain that a Morricone and a Goldsmith have been so wonderfully treated all those years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I haven't heard those 2 (yet), and they might be worth it

but the Oscars have always been about personal favourites and acclaimed movies, not the best possible music. Or else how do you explain that a Morricone and a Goldsmith have been so wonderfully treated all those years?

I agree with you on Oscars, i have no objections. My point is that those 2 scores are actually good. And many times, the academy also nominates or awards GOOD scores too, but i am wondering if it's just coincidence. wink
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I agree with you on Oscars, i have no objections. My point is that those 2 scores are actually good. And many times, the academy also nominates or awards GOOD scores too, but i am wondering if it's just coincidence. wink

once again, I have to check them out first

But I can't honestly see New Moon being nominated, because the movie is not that the Oscars are looking for, another movie scored by Desplat more likely
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    We'll see what comes out in the month of December
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I personally believe that Oscar awards have lost its pride and honor among the world audience. In my childhood days, i have seen many people talked about Oscar and considered it as most prestigious award in the world. But in recent times, i have noticed many people are not satisfied with their selection process. Sometimes, you all must have noticed that some composers wasn't properly recognized in Oscar awards. For instance, take composers like Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard and most importantly Ennio Morricone. These composers deserves Oscars but not recognized or honored. At least, Goldsmith had won Oscar for his excellent score for The Omen, but what about others????

How many of you guys do really think that these kind of awards have really done justice to artists in the world, especially to composers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There have been deserving scores given the award, like Omen, E.T, Lion King, Finding Neverland, LoTR 1 and 3 and most recently Atonement. But the number of undeserving scores being given the award because of all the critical hype factor has been too high also, especially post 2000.