• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    As I've gotten older I've certainly become a lot more tainted in my view of the Oscars. I actually saw 4 awards this year. Actor, actress, director, and picture. I wasn't impressed. Maureen and I decided earlier to go and see "Ghostwriter," far more interesting. Good thriller.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Congrats to all the winners. Michael deserves it for UP, its score is perfect for the film and quite a good listen outside of it.

But 'The Hurt Locker' best film? The only ones I've seen, Avatar, Up, District 9 and Inglourious Basterds all gripped me much more. But Bigelow's directing is spot on. She got one because she's a woman directing a guy flick. Much deserved.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "She got one because she's a woman directing a guy flick'

I must say you captured their essence pretty good. Same goes for Oprah's produced flick with the morbidly obese black woman who gets screwed by life in sadomasochistic ways just for the cinematic 'fun' of it...objectivity in Oscars, gone to hell. Oh well, who cares
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    ^ I want to comment on Demetris statement above but I'm going to let this go... but I CANNOT disagree with you more on the the whole Bigelow won because she's directing a "guys flick" and filming a movie like Precious "just for the fun of it."

crazy <-- That doesn't begin to express how I feel about those comments. :bite your tongue Mr. Woods:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh well, who cares

At four pages in, we do apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Over the top D in my opinion.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I want to comment on Demetris statement above but I'm going to let this go... but I CANNOT disagree with you more on the the whole Bigelow won because she's directing a "guys flick" and filming a movie like Precious "just for the fun of it."

crazy <-- That doesn't begin to express how I feel about those comments. :bite your tongue Mr. Woods:

-Erik-

I started that Bigelow comment. rolleyes

Or were you referring to Precious? confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I started that Bigelow comment. rolleyes

Or were you referring to Precious? confused

Yeah... sorry... I don't agree with what you wrote. But I'm not going to get into a war about! I just want to say that I think it's a rather unfair statement.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. No I meant it in the best possible way. She got recognized for being a woman directing a hard as nails action film (which is a male genre so to speak). That's why I put the 'Much deserved' in my post. smile

But I don't think The Hurt Locker is better than some of the other nominees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    No I meant it in the best possible way. She got recognized for being a woman directing a hard as nails action film (which is a male genre so to speak). That's why I put the 'Much deserved' in my post. smile

But I don't think The Hurt Locker is better than some of the other nominees.

I just wish sex, nationality, race didn't come into play. And it's not like she hasn't directed action before.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    The hurt locker is not that good. As simple as that. And Precious is hideous. But whatever, i am not in the mood for debating these 2 further or anything oscar-related.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh well, who cares

At four pages in, we do apparently.

It's not that long really, for mt's standards wink
  4. It wasn't the best score of the year, but a strong score nonetheless, especially in the picture itself. And with win I for once can live with. Congrats Michael beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    The hurt locker is not that good. As simple as that. And Precious is hideous. But whatever, i am not in the mood for debating these 2 further or anything oscar-related.

I still have to see Precious and The Hurt Locker, but District 9 would have been a deserving winner too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I still have to see Precious and The Hurt Locker, but District 9 would have been a deserving winner too smile

The Hurt Locker isn't an amazing film as a whole... but each separate set piece is brilliantly executed! It's just that the glue that held all of those set pieces together wasn't very tight but they weren't terrible either. As for District 9... I really enjoyed it!

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The Hurt Locker isn't an amazing film as a whole... but each separate set piece is brilliantly executed! It's just that the glue that held all of those set pieces together wasn't very tight but they weren't terrible either. As for District 9... I really enjoyed it!

-Erik-

we'll see, but so far both Avatar and District 9 have shown me emotional masterpieces at the core, surrounded by amazing non stop action and development

it will be tough to beat that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

we'll see, but so far both Avatar and District 9 have shown me emotional masterpieces at the core, surrounded by amazing non stop action and development

Avatar is a technical marvel... too bad Cameron couldn't have written a better script! It was a wondrous journey for sure but besides the exemplary 3D it's tough to find anything thing else that made it such a magnificent film as a whole. Cameron pretty much played it safe while giving his all to the brilliant mo-cap.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Very happy for Giacchino!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Don't hold your hopes high, THE HURT LOCKER is nowhere near that. It's just that some Americans get all emotional with the whole we went to Iraq to civilize them, thingy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Don't hold your hopes high, THE HURT LOCKER is nowhere near that. It's just that some Americans get all emotional with the whole we went to Iraq to civilize them, thingy.

I don't think the film is political at all. It's about a soldier who just really loves his dangerous job a lot! That is over simplifying it but let's not dig too deeply into it either. It is what it is... a fairly simple tale told extremely well featuring fine performances and some incredibly tense sequences.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is James Horner a midget?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wondered the same. I'm sure he hadn't used to be so small!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, the music wasn't given the best treatment. Sure the dancing was impressive, but it stole the attention from the music, so in the end everyone was applauding the dancers instead of the music.

I also missed seeing more of Shaiman. He's too fun a character to hide away like that.

I did enjoy many of the choices of music though every time actors walked on stage. For example the orchestral version of "Unchained Melody" from "Ghost" when Demi Moore came on to present the 'In memoriam'-montage, starting with Patrick Swayze.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Did anyone else notice they left off Farah Fawcett from that montage?
    Very odd.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You're a mind reader Martijn. I just realized the same a few minutes ago.

It's indeed rather odd, since she's very well known. Also considering that Michael Jackson was mentioned, even though he's not an actor, makes it even more odd.

Peter smile
  7. Somebody wrote on Shaiman's Facebook wall that "the music was great, but the show was boring" and he told him off for having no manners for writing that on his wall, because "my friends are watching it and it doesn't belong here". Took it a bit personally?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Looks like he deleted it, I can't see anything there.

BTW, I was amused to see how the local newspaper here mentioned seemingly all the category winners except Best Original Score and Song. Last year they had highlighted those specifically a lot because of Rahman's wins. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    You're a mind reader Martijn. I just realized the same a few minutes ago.

It's indeed rather odd, since she's very well known. Also considering that Michael Jackson was mentioned, even though he's not an actor, makes it even more odd.

Peter smile

Yeah, i read about it in the news. Odd.

plindboe wrote
    Indeed, the music wasn't given the best treatment. Sure the dancing was impressive, but it stole the attention from the music, so in the end everyone was applauding the dancers instead of the music.

Hate to break the fun for us here, but in general terms, very few people give a fuck about film music in the Oscars, it's one of those filler categories and it shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hate to break the fun for us here, but in general terms, very few people give a fuck about film music in the Oscars, it's one of those filler categories and it shows.

It's not one of the big categories for sure. But the show always allocate about 5 minutes presenting the scores, and combined with the time the film music award takes, film music probably takes up more time than any other single category. Considering how they desperately try to squeeze everything out of the program they can possibly spare, I think it's amazing that film music gets any treatment at all.

Still, I prefer when the music is at the forefront, instead of dancers stealing the attention. I think most people are potential film music fans, they just don't know it yet, as they consider it background music and don't realize that the music can be enjoyed independently. The Oscar treatment is an excellent way for film music to get some well deserved attention.

Peter smile