• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Teddy will score:

NOWHERELAND

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … eland.html

And besides, I'm finally going to watch Blades of Glory tonight!

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Another Shapio score that I'm sure will sound...like every other one of his! I'm not bashing the guy as a lot of his music is quite nice, but does it have to sound the same EVERY time? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Blades of Glory and Idiocracy were very different from his usual approach to comedies.
  1. and Starsky and Hutch was very different too, with that cool 1970s Lalo Schifrin/Isaac Hayes vibe.
  2. I saw him conduct a piece once at a concert, before I knew he was a film composer, and I'm pretty sure before he was well known by many (I remember it being right before The Heist came out, because after the concert I was familiar with his name and recognized it on that movie poster). I remember the piece he wrote and conducted at the concert was very eclectic, inspired by his childhood playing in the city parks growing up in NY or DC, so it had ambient 'children playing' sounds and loads of percussion and rhythm and the orchestra. I have not in fact heard any of his film scores. Does this style I'm describing seem familiar to those who know his work? I remember it being very interesting, but didn't particularly like it to listen to on a regular basis. Hoping is film work is as fresh, but more listenable. Is there a best score to start with, with Shapiro?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Is there a best score to start with, with Shapiro?

There's not much to choose from, I believe he only has 3 full scores released on cd. I'd also add my positive comments for Blades of Glory, (though Mikael can have the film to himself!) it's an excellent score - and would definately like to see Heist released one day!!
  3. HEIST is an excellent score. I'd buy that if it came out.
    (And Isham's SPARTAN. And Burwell's SPANISH PRISONER. Heck, let's have a David Mamet film music festival!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    ScoringSessions.com has photos and coverage from Theodore Shapiro's new film, SEMI-PRO:
    http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/116/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  4. New project for the hugely underrated composer according to GSA:

Marley & Me
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822832/
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Shapiro is doing the score for JENNIFER'S BODY, which is an interesting project for him - I wonder if he will be able to stretch his muscles a little bit on this one:

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -body.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for the hugely underrated composer according to GSA:

I don't think GSA believes he's underrated?

tongue wink

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    Hugely underrated? Did i miss something? confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I'd love to listen to his score to Prince of Central Park, but it wasn't released, was it?

It had a very good theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And You, Me And Dupree was one of his better comedy scores from what I remember...sadly no promo. sad
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Hugely underrated? Did i miss something? confused

Yes, I really think he is. What scores have you heard of him, Demetris?

I think it's just a matter of time until he finally gets a chance to score something more high profile musically (he almost did when he was scoring Aeon Flux before being replaced by a bland Revell score), but just by listening to most of his comedy scores (which is unfortunate typecasting), he seems to put a lot more effort and energy into them than just about everybody working in Hollywood today (examples being The Devil Wears Prada, Dodgeball, Blades of Glory, 13 Going on 30, Idiocracy among others).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have to admit i haven't heard a lot of scores from him but the ones i DID, i can't remember much; all those comedy scores he does sound pretty generic and been there done that a 1000 times before to me, i can't see how he's any different than all the other equally young and (perhaps wrongly) typecast Hollywood composers out there.

What would you consider as the factors that set him apart and which score would you use to convince me?
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    I have to admit i haven't heard a lot of scores from him but the ones i DID, i can't remember much; all those comedy scores he does sound pretty generic and been there done that a 1000 times before to me, i can't see how he's any different than all the other equally young and (perhaps wrongly) typecast Hollywood composers out there.

What would you consider as the factors that set him apart and which score would you use to convince me?

First of all, he actually has a distinctive sound (unlike many of his contemporaries...like Debney), he seems to be able to write great orchestral cues as well as music in any modern style (John Powell as one of the few composers who does it as well) and he does try to do something different for these types of films and not just orchestral mickey mousing that still seems to be dominating Hollywood comedies today.
    I can recommend just about any of the scores mentioned (and for a non-comedy: Heist is a must-have), but obviously not all of these scores are great listens from start to finish (lots of very short tracks), but there are many great moments in there. From reading your comments here on the board, I think you could like Heist, Idiocracy, Starsky & Hutch and The Devil Wears Prada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks mate, i promise to give Teddy some more focused listens soon.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There are certain themes and motifs he carries across into many of his movies, and some tracks sound near identical aside from their main theme ("Miranda Smiles" from The Devil Wears Prada and "The Presentation" from 13 Going On 30 for example). Nonetheless, this guy writes some really nice relaxing pieces. Nothing really special, but very, very enjoyable.

The Devil Wears Prada is probably one of his strongest "generic" scores, while things like Heist are more interesting listens as it doesn't sound like "good ol' Teddy". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Nothing really special, but very, very enjoyable.

The Devil Wears Prada is probably one of his strongest "generic" scores, while things like Heist are more interesting listens as it doesn't sound like "good ol' Teddy". wink

This is how he sounds to me too, not special. I have yet to discover the "very, very enjoyable" part but truth to be told, i am not a big fan of comedy scores anyway.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Having some comedy scores isn't too bad, but I can't say I have or even want a great deal of them. Teddy seems to be one of the better composers of them!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    moviescore wrote
    Shapiro is doing the score for JENNIFER'S BODY, which is an interesting project for him - I wonder if he will be able to stretch his muscles a little bit on this one:

mc

Teddy is co-scoring the film with STEPHEN BARTON, and I believe it will be a rather unique score wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    dgoldwas wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

Teddy is co-scoring the film with STEPHEN BARTON, and I believe it will be a rather unique score wink

NOW I'm interested! shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just got through listening to Tropic Thunder and it was a chore. My speaker cones moved in ways they have never had to before.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's an interesting way of putting it! I'm gonna use that one myself. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    dgoldwas wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

Indeed, STEPHEN BARTON is a hell of a talented and cool guy, now i am more interested too wink Let's see what it'll come out of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

Indeed, STEPHEN BARTON is a hell of a talented and cool guy

That´s what I heard during Soncinemad 2006. In fact I was told that Harry Gregson Williams´concert success was due to Barton´s help with the orchestra.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Southall wrote
    Who is Stephen Barton?

Funny what a little IMDB or Google will yield, James wink

Stephen has worked with HGW since SINBAD, and in terms of solo projects, scored MRS PALFREY AT THE CLAREMONT, and the highly successful video game CALL OF DUTY 4. He's currently working on JENNIFER'S GAME with Teddy Shapiro, and has a few other projects in the works.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote
    I just got through listening to Tropic Thunder and it was a chore. My speaker cones moved in ways they have never had to before.

Thomas smile

What's it like? I'm having a hard time guessing...