• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, in any given month I get about ten out-of-the-blue e-mails from strangers, usually asking me about unreleased scores, rejected score info, or even autographs of composers I have interviewed. In fact, I one guy attain an autograph just recently.

I answer all the e-mails (unless it's some person wanting an MP3) and help where I can, and all I get is a "thank you". For most people, that would be enough. For MOST people, that is...

Cut to today when I send an out-of-the-blue e-mail myself to someone, a lawyer named Brian Lee Corber, after a reply he made about knowing a certain compsoer I was hoping to interview and had previously failed in finding a way to reach. Not an uncommon thing for me -- half my interviews have been gained this way and all the strangers I asked were helpful.

First reply from him contained:

and I don't see anything in this for me.

Second reply after explaing who I was in further and just hoping for helping hand -- like any normal person might do, got me:

Yeah, why don't you do something to help me, first.

I guess you want something for nothing.

Okay, so if you are a compoer out there in Hollywood and you are thinking about using the services of a lawyer, here's the guy to avoid. If you should already use his services and haven't seen his true colors -- now you have. Drop this guy.

If you know him, tell the guy off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    I'll bear that in mind.
  2. Justin, the guy's name rings a bell from the film music business. But I'm not sure how likely this is?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Based on the lack of professionalism in those email replies and the fact that he uses an aol email address for his business, I reckon he's just some small-time guy trying to make a living. Nothing much to worry about. Just carry on with your work and ignore him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Justin, the guy's name rings a bell from the film music business. But I'm not sure how likely this is?

He used to post regularly on filmus-l - not sure if you were a member there. He was involved in flame wars on an almost-daily basis because of his abrasive posting style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, he's a dick then, from what it seems. Simply ignore.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Southall wrote
    He used to post regularly on filmus-l - not sure if you were a member there. He was involved in flame wars on an almost-daily basis because of his abrasive posting style.

That's probably where I came across the name.

I was never a member of that group - the while set-up was just so confusing for a (then) novice of the internet. I did follow the discussions though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    Hmmm...a little research shows it's a knowledgeable bloke (he wrote some pretty good and eminently readable articles on music copyright in the US), but on forums and message lists he seems to exude a rather negative personality.

What a shame.
    It's always a wonder to me why people can't just be a little civil, or at the very least not immediately dismissive or abrasive. Especially when you're on the web with your own name and running a business (liaised to the -high profile- entertainment industry, no less), these are the days that people do regular research into their business acquaintances (if only by a simple Google search).

This is the sort of attention any business man would not need.

Bottom line?
    It's not only civil and proper to be nice and courteous.
    It's good business.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I've ran into this guy I couple of times. Let's say he's got a little bit of attitude...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, another douche then? We aren't running short of those in the genre, i see!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.