• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm Christian Catholic, but not a creationist or whatever. I believe in a non-literal meaning of the Bible, which is basically the story of Revelation, rather than a literal history of the world. I believe that a lot of the Biblical stories are a metaphor (or, to use the Patristic/Medieval terminology - allegory). That makes me not reject any scientific discovery, but stay firmly within some ethical beliefs (I am not against homosexuality, my best friends are gay, in fact socially they are the only men I can tolerate in a very LONG run; also I wouldn't mind gay marriage, Proposition 8 sucks, California people; I have issues with abortion though).

Most recently I am rediscovering, or rather discovering philosophy. My favorite of the 20th century "systems" (systematic philosophy ended on G. W. F. Hegel) is hermeneutics, which derives, of course, from Christianity (hermeneutics was originally a method to understand the Bible), but became an existential philosophy or even practical (hermeneutics = understanding, hermeneutical philosophy assumes that we try to understand the world around us through conversations - German Gesprach, a Hans-Georg Gadamer term - and helps us understand OURSELVES more, it assumes a general contact between us, other people and tradition). My research deals with heavily Biblical/Christian period of culture as well, namely 17th Century. I also believe in a very personal (ie. conversational) relation with God, who, hopefully, has a plan. Why? One of the reasons is surely that I didn't get a proof against His existence (with the right interpretation of the Bible you won't reject science as is, the relation between religion and science isn't so conflicting. As an example, I should give an example of Michal Heller. The man is a physicist. He deals with the creation of the Universe (cosmology) and his research is heavily respected by his peers (as far as I know, Heller is famous in the physics society), but also a Catholic priest, theologist and philosopher (philosopher of science, namely). I don't think he openly tries to find a mathematical formula to prove God's existence (we don't live in the Middle Ages anymore, people! Faith is faith and there is a choice between reason and faith and the choice is made in full consciousness, as Kierkegaard discovered it in the 19th Century, reason and faith are at constant fight and believing is difficult). Another reason for me staying Christian Catholic is taking the Pascalian bet (we don't lose anything if we believe in God, so it's better to believe just in case). And I also like the notion of something above us. I strongly believe that we shouldn't think we are completely alone in the world and nothing spiritual exists, because we need some humility in approach to reality.

Ready for attacks now. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    No offense, Pawel, but how about we try to focus on things that make you relax here? It would be quite ironic if a thread about relaxing things turned into a heated religious discussion!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I know, but after all the discussion I felt I finally needed to express my own views. Even if to prove Steven that Christians can be actually sensible biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited
    Well I will have to agree with Thor! Starting a debate about religion is not relaxing at all! Each and everyone of as has his or her beliefs and they should be acepted by others as long as they are not insulting. I know that this is how things work for me at least. I'm an orthodox christian and I don't mind any religion as long as I'm not attacked for what I believe and for that I tend not to discuss religion at all. Off to a hot cup of cinnamon-almond coffee to relax! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Interesting you have a coffee like that! Heard only of teas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know, but after all the discussion I felt I finally needed to express my own views. Even if to prove Steven that Christians can be actually sensible biggrin

Sorry, but I don't find several of the reasons you gave sensible, Pascal's wager being one of the more silly ones or saying that belief in the supernatural has anything to do with humility, but I guess this is not the thread for such discussion.

I've no problems with christians, but when I see poor arguments I can't help but comment. Good to hear that you're one of the saner ones, Pawel, even though I don't agree with everything you say.

Back to the relaxing topic. *pulls out a big soft couch and starts reading a good book

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski

Interesting you have a coffee like that! Heard only of teas!

I love coffee and tea so I have many different flavours in my special cupboard! Cinammon-almond is one of my favourites! I love hazelnut too! My favourite tea flavour is jasmine! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    plindboe wrote

Back to the relaxing topic. *pulls out a big soft couch and starts reading a good book

Which book? I love good books! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Perhaps I shouldn't say, as it's a controversial book about religion and science, and I wouldn't want to divert the topic again. wink Most books I read are science related, never any fiction, so they are probably not the ones most people would associate with proper relaxation. But I promise you, with a soft couch, a big blanket, lovely background music and a cup of hot chocolate I do manage to have some lovely and relaxing times.

What kind of books do you like to read? Any recommendations?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    I love coffee and tea so I have many different flavours in my special cupboard! Cinammon-almond is one of my favourites! I love hazelnut too! My favourite tea flavour is jasmine! smile

I love hazelnut coffee, there's just something very christmassy about it. They don't have it here in Denmark though, it's only when I'm in England I can buy it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Taking under consideration that my domain is Literature (written in english but not only English if you understand what I mean) I read both fiction (I love fantasy literature since my thesis was on Tolkien) but also books that have to do with critisism. I also like reading books about mythology and of course pedagogy books due to my work as a teacher. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, impressed with the thesis! I love the fantasy world Tolkien introduced, which certainly inspired Dungeons & Dragons, a game I have a certain amount of experience with. I must admit though that I have "Lord of the rings" on my bookshelves but haven't read it yet. shame

I think I'm fantasy-genre minded, I just have concentration problems and as a consequence I read books rather slowly, so that's why I've never really gotten to explore the genre.

Peter smile