• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Anyone here on Twitter? I just joined and have no idea how to search for people. Please let me know. My name is 14LavatorySeats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ... you're kidding.
    Right?

<increasingly desperately> RIGHT?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Your name is what???? shocked

lol

No Twitter or Facebook for me! cool
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    ... you're kidding.
    Right?

<increasingly desperately> RIGHT?

What's the problem? One has to make an effort to keep up with the youth else one gets left behind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I'm on Twitter alright, but only to claim my name before some namehunter picks it up only to release it for a kazillion dollars. I missed the boat on the webz, and I'll be damned if it's gonna happen to me again!

Interestingly though I have never uttered a tweet in my life, I am apparently already followed by about sixteen women, all of whom try and entice me to come and visit their personal websites (which, strangely enough given their Anglosaxon names, are all located on Russian servers).

It's wonderful to be so loved! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, I'm on Twitter alright, but only to claim my name before some namehunter picks it up only to release it for a kazillion dollars. I missed the boat on the webz, and I'll be damned if it's gonna happen to me again!

Interestingly though I have never uttered a tweet in my life, I am apparently already followed by about sixteen women, all of whom try and entice me to come and visit their personal websites (which, strangely enough given their Anglosaxon names, are all located on Russian servers).

It's wonderful to be so loved! cool

biggrin

Happened to me too.

Anyway, twitter is really useless crap about status updates alone and nothing else. I have it but never use it. Facebook is way more fun, no matter how hard twitter tries to appear as a more witty, and intellectual alternative (notably got some boost from ego-loving celebrities who make sure they keep us up to date with all the kind of useless details about their lives and what they're doing as we speak).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Twitter has been useful, more than once.

During the Iranian elections for example. Never has more information been spread that way between people in the counry, perhaps not always accurate, but in the case of Iran, without the censorship, etc, ... Or the problems in Bangkok/Thailand in April this year.

Twitter is a news source!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Facebook is not Twitter. In fact, the status in Facebook, is just a rip off from Twitter. You can use a Twitter plugin for Facebook, which updates your status.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Luddites!

Egad, Sir! Pray send me your postal address by wireless post haste, so that I may send you a missive by courier to request you to send me a homing pigeon so I will be able to provide you with the approximate direction you will be able to respond with smoke signals to my semaphore message that speaks of horrid and unspeakable things to be doneto you in extremely uncertain and veiled terms to disguise the fact that in the meantime I have no longer any memory of what it was that I was disagreeing with you about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

Overrated.
    Yes, it was kept open for the prime reason that the Iranian government has an electronic surveillance system in place (thank you HP and Nokia) that monitors and registers twitter information. Ahmedinemedadekedjad has a lovely list right now, and he knows who's been naughty or nice...

Main updates from Iran came through blogs, phones and e-mail.

Twitter loves to toot its own horn, but it's far from being any kind of mature medium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ow. I didn't knew.

Damn HP and Nokia. Why do they do that!?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I actually followed the elections partly that way.

I've been mislead. cry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Ow. I didn't knew.

Damn HP and Nokia. Why do they do that!?

I'm guessing they were paid.

(Nokia has since openly stated regretting working on the system. Of course the Iranian government's business case for implementing the system was a little different from what they actually use it for. But on the other hand: this is Iran. Not particularly the most trustworthy government around these days...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I actually followed the elections partly that way.

I've been mislead. cry

No. All the tweets were as correct as they tried to be (in the sense hat they weren't manipulated).
    But they were monitored.
    A lot of young people have "disappeared" from the streets of Teheran since those days.
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's just unbelievable. slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Overrated.
    Yes, it was kept open for the prime reason that the Iranian government has an electronic surveillance system in place (thank you HP and Nokia) that monitors and registers twitter information. Ahmedinemedadekedjad has a lovely list right now, and he knows who's been naughty or nice...

Main updates from Iran came through blogs, phones and e-mail.

Twitter loves to toot its own horn, but it's far from being any kind of mature medium.

Very true. They're very self-conscious, they like to bark they're the best all the time. That's annoying, 'cause it's actually nothing special at all in essence....unless you're interested in the kind of cereal Jessica Alba had this morning of course.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    That's just unbelievable. slant

That's what the rest of the world says.
    Not so my Iranian friend who has lost more than twenty people from her senior year alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm very sorry to hear that Martijn. I'm shocked.

How come I never heard of this. I try to follow independent press and not only the regular media.

Can you link me to an article with the story?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8195586.stm

It's not that nobody cares per se (although the lack of international pressure is an absolute abomination to me, however understandable in the grander scheme of things), but you have to understand there is no foreign press in Iran any more at all, unless rigidly controled. And this, together with the internet surveillance clamp-down- has (interestingly, but distressingly) resulted in a serious lack of coherent and unified coverage.

Rather it's localized pockets of information working much like terrorist/resistance cells to organize bursts of protest or information.

But it's not being condensed into one Big Storyline (like " Apartheid" or "Guanatanamo")
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    I was at the Eddie Izzard gig at the O2 tonight and they had his live Twitter stream on two massive screens before he came on and during the interval. People were posting all kinds of crazy stuff on there.

I think my favourite had to be "Could people please stop with the immature and rude comments, it's getting tiresome....BOOBIES!!".
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    I'm on Twitter as @WilliamBard.
  1. @pawelstroinski

I'm already followed (and followed them back!) by Alan and James.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Really? Sweet! I'll go follow you.
  2. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    STOP FOLLOWING ME!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. William wrote

TrueTwit Validation Service? No thank you.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

TrueTwit Validation Service? No thank you.

Sorry! I wasn't aware as to how much of an annoyance that service really was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    MainTitle now has a Twitter account! @MainTitles
  4. Following right now.