• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009 edited
    .....cell phones have no signal or run out of battery, especially in horror/suspense films?

....people sit down to eat in restaurants, yet they rarely take a bite and never actually finish the expensive meal they've just ordered?

....people never go to the toilet even if it's an action-filled film that goes over several days?

....some characters just HAVE to walk out or explore dangerous stuff alone when there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have called for help or just gotten the hell outta there?

You continue. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    applause Good topic!

... when they say "let's split up" for no apparent reason whatsoever but apparently to get killed more quickly.

... when they never, ever, ever listen to the background music indicating horror to befall any second now!

... when people suddenly lose all capability to act like humans (e.g. in the middle of an emotional or dramatic scene or discussion to look blank-faced into the camera for seconds on end, apparently uncomfortably waiting for a shot or close-up to end)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good ones, Martijn! One more:

....an established character dies in an action film, is then greeted by a brief "oh no!" by the remaining cast, but then they're back at cracking jokes and acting as if nothing ever happened five minutes later?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh! And on the back of my complaint about Alien:
    ... in the future we seem to have incredibly stupid or failing technology: lights cutting out in the middle of an emergency. Huge blaring sirens when you would need all your concentration.

... everybody suddenly loses all common sense.
    - When the room is dark, by all means do not switch on the lights.
    - When you hear someone breaking in, moving stealthily about, or breathing heavily, rather than hiding or keeping as quietly as possible, shout out (as loud as you can): "IS ANYONE THERE?"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Someone spots the bad guy, this is pointed out to someone else but by the time they look around that person isn't there anymore. Bad guy obviously opperates at light speed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not just the bad guys. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

lol Brilliantly illustrated applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

lol Brilliantly illustrated applause

biggrin

Btw, i thought Zimmer hadn't influenced the Batman sound in general THAT MUCH yet.... wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    .... when the bad guy does not kill the good guy instantly but gives him an speech long enough for the good guy to react in time to kill the bad guy.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ... characters appear to be able to have conversations with each other despite the fact that one of them has their back to the other. That person will then turn round when an emotional point is made.

... injured/dying characters always have a friend at their side to hold or comfort them, when calling for an ambulance would probably be the preferred option.

... asteroids travel through space making a noise like a powerful but subdued engine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ( i think we're on the line of turning the topic into "film cliches' ) wink just the ones you hate, people .. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    ... characters appear to be able to have conversations with each other despite the fact that one of them has their back to the other. That person will then turn round when an emotional point is made.

Agreed. Though I purposefully do that in games like Assassin's Creed. It's ever so dramatic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And some of the ones I hate are cliches! Simultaneous thunder & lightning still bugs me and pervades films and TV shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ....profound statements are usually made while staring out of the window with the back against the others, especially if it's the president

....loved ones turn to kiss and tell how much they love each other when the protagonist has 30 seconds to disarm a bomb or something
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    ....loved ones turn to kiss and tell how much they love each other when the protagonist has 30 seconds to disarm a bomb or something

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ... Nicholas Cage turns up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    ... Nicholas Cage turns up.

lol ROTFLMAOBSSTT biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Oh GOD, yes!
    TYPICAL THRILLER SITUATION
    "John...I...I love you."
    "Mary... I've always felt it. If we get out of here alive, I swear I will do anything to make you happy. Anything.
    Remember that little cottage in Maryland you told me about?
    I went there last week. It's still there. We'll go back there. Together."

TYPICAL TENSE SITUATION

"John...I...I love you."
    "Shut the FUCK UP and let me WORK!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Remember that little cottage in Maryland you told me about?
    I went there last week. It's still there. We'll go back there. Together."

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    While being chased a woman ( always a woman? ) will trip up.
  1. ... with longer movies, suddenly, the screen turns black, and that nice little "break" sign appears to give people time to go to the toilet, buy more popcorn, and get sucked straight out of the mood the movie was just able to put you in?
  2. There are no intermissions anymore.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    There was an intermission when I was watching 2012 some weeks ago. It made the experience even more miserable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Marselus wrote
    There was an intermission when I was watching 2012 some weeks ago. It made the experience even more miserable.

lol
    In India, every movie has an intermission. It makes the Bolly stuff somewhat tolerable since you can catch a restroom break in between a marathon 3 hr movie. But annoyingly it's also done for the 90 min English films. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ... when someone is about to get hit by a car, truck... actually any type of automobile... but they only hear the actual car itself a second before getting hit!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can't remember the last time I saw a film with an intermission! In fact, I don't think I ever have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    I can't remember the last time I saw a film with an intermission! In fact, I don't think I ever have.

Lucky you! Here, they use to do it with long movies. The reasons are beyond my comprehension.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hate pointing out the obvious one...but henchman that can't aim.
  3. Most theatres in Germany do intermissions on movies that are longer then two or two and half hours (it depends). We get them with LOTR, the Potters, and lots of other stuff, but we had one screening of Return of the King that had no intermission, which felt kinda strange, but was very appreciated. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Marselus wrote

lol
    In India, every movie has an intermission. It makes the Bolly stuff somewhat tolerable since you can catch a restroom break in between a marathon 3 hr movie.

Or you can even better, open the exit door and run away like crazy.