• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Cliched "foreigners" in American films.

Like south americans playing spaniards ("Vantage Point" comes to mind). Awful.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......or when every 'foreigner' in american films, no matter his country of origin (it's a terrorist breeding country anyway) speaks english with a RUSSIAN ACCENT. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    LSH wrote
    I hate patronising captions, such as an establishing shot of the Eiffel Tower with the caption 'Paris'.

In an American film it would of course say "Paris, France" just in case you thought it was the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Illinois.

...and just in case the fact that there's a caption saying "Paris, France" and all the extras are walking around the Eiffel Tower wearing stripey t-shirts and berets still leaves some doubt in the viewer's mind, the composer WILL use accordions for this scene.

A prime example of the cliched "foreigner" in films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    This one is annoying and especially to my husband who works with computers:

... when they do something on a computer and what you see on the screen is so ridiculous and fake, like these smooth looking 'copying secret files' kind of windows with a huge bar or a timer or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or when they only use the keyboard and never a mouse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    This one is annoying and especially to my husband who works with computers:

... when they do something on a computer and what you see on the screen is so ridiculous and fake, like these smooth looking 'copying secret files' kind of windows with a huge bar or a timer or something.

Hahaha indeed! Or the cool clicks and all the sounds that can be heard when they open windows, minimize and all? What the hell Operating systems are they using? heheh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Or when they only use the keyboard and never a mouse.

And they type with flash speeds!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or, mostly with older films, they "enhance" low resolution pictures and end up with a clearer picture than they started with simply by zooming in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha indeed! That zoom in and get a crystal-clear picture even better than the original size is the most ridiculous aspect of all the 'film' computers, and they do it all the time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I had to think of that one too! spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aliens, monsters etc always have thick slimy drool dripping from their mouths.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And the bone crunching sounds that always accompany any kind of hand to hand combat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    ....there is always time to get EVERYTHING you need to say said before you die in some dramatic fashion. Like "Hey Kate, I've always loved you, you must live on and take care of the children, find yourself....blah, blah, blah....feed the dog, put on the oven....blah, blah, blah.....goodbye, hugs and kisses" and then the rock that has been hovering in the air for 10 minutes while he gets his speech done, finally comes down and crushes him. Or something like that.

(PS, sorry if this was mentioned earlier).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Thor wrote
    put on the oven....

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    ...they don't even look at what number they're dialing. They just keep talking or laughing or doing something else, while with the other hand dialing a phone number. Without looking at the phone at what they're doing or without reading the number from a piece of paper or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I don't know: I often find that my ...what's the phrase? Mechanical memory or something? works a lot better in cases like these (you know: that your fingers "remember" a certain key or number combination, so you can enter it without looking. Or even thinking).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Without thinking, yes, but without looking at what you're doing?? I can't dial a number blindly.

Only with the old phones where you can feel it and count the holes on the wheel. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Only with the old phones where you can feel it and count the holes on the wheel. wink

applause
    Oh, there's my youth, right there!

But no, I can easily do that on a numeric keyboard (like on a phone).
    I'm so familiar with that feel that I can easily dial my most-often used numbers.

But I know what you mean: it's completely unbelievable in many films, especially when they've been handed the number just moments before.

Oh, another one in that line is film telephone conversations, where you KNOW there's no one at the other end of the line. You know, when the guy on film will ask something like " what's the plan?" and about half a second later says "Right" and hangs up. Unless several world records in data transfer were broken all at once, there is NO WAY IN HELL he could have heard ANYTHING at the other end of the line but the beginning of an intake of breath in that time frame.

This is so annoying and unbelievable -especially in older films- that it even takes me right out of the story. crazy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. This dialogue has now been done to death:

"Why wasn't I told about this?"

"Frankly, it's above your pay grade."

It seems like those lines appear in several films every year.
  2. Or that's on a need to know basis... and you don't need to know.

That's also commonly used.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. You know what I really hate?

Films that feature actors playing an instrument and:

a) then the camera does not show their hands so that it kinda looks like the actor is playing the piece himself, but then of course he isn't. He isn't playing at all. crazy
    b) or worse they do show the hands but they play something completely wrong (like punching in keys when no sound is being heard in the score, or playing high notes when low notes are being heard etc.

Luckily there are also exceptions on that rule. Tom Hulce's performance was dead on in Amadeus for example. And of course you have people like Bear McCreary who actually a) demand that an actor who can actually play the piano is hired for the part of the pianist and b) afterwards replay the entire score so that every finger coincides with the note being played.

But sadly those are the exceptions...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    Well, what can you do however? It IS very annoying but what can you do since the vast majority of actors, especially the well known ones, can't really play the instrument? What if you want to hire that specific actor / actress? It's a bit far-stretched to demand anything like that really, and it's very hard to do so if you don't know how to prior.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, what can you do however? It IS very annoying but what can you do since the vast majority of actors, especially the well known ones, can't really play the instrument? What if you want to hire that specific actor / actress? It's a bit far-stretched to demand anything like that really, and it's very hard to do so if you don't know how to prior.

True, but some actors just go for it. Meryl Streep trained for her violin playing stint in 'Music from the heart'. apparently six hours a day, during four weeks.

I just call it lazyness from either actor or producer for not finding it important enough to train the actor (they give them time to train their bodies to do action sequences, to gain/loose weight, ... but almost never to learn to convincingly fake playing an instrument.

Sigh...

Well, at least I can thoroughly enjoy the filmmakers who do appreciate those details and pay attention to them.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    As a musician and musicologist who also plays the piano, i can assure you it's much tougher and it takes much more months to learn to play an instrument than the 6 months they need to beef their bodies up for a role and i am sure others similarly trained will agree smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hahah hilarious!

except for this, http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1189389
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haha, glad i am not alone

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1189391
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

Some good ones there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010 edited
    To continue with two more that I just thought of:

....someone is going out on a dangerous mission, says his goodbyes to a friend or lover, goes away, then the companion says his name, he turns, there's a pause and the friend/lover says "Be careful!", alternatively "I love you", the man says nothing and continues on his way.

...a spaceship lands on a planet, and the WHOLE friggin' planet is treated as a single country or in some cases even a single city (with ONE group of people, ONE sheriff etc.)!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "America Saves The World" for ID4. biggrin