• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    I'm applying for a job and need to upload a couple of videos to the net. However, I only want the employer to see the videos, not everyone, so I can't use youtube. And the mpeg-files are too big to fit as an e-mail attachment (50 Mb and 25 Mb). Does anyone know of any such online service?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You could perhaps use services like sendspace.com, or yousendit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited
    BobdH wrote

Well, I already have a domain that can host the files themselves, but it obviously takes forever to download them from there, and I wouldn't wanna lose the employer's interest because of that. So I either need to downsize the videos to, let's say, a maximum of 10 Mb (which I don't know how to do) or put them in a service a la youtube, but more private.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Does your potential employer have a youtube account? If yes, you can make it THAT private (private, seen only by him) or give it a private link that you send away only to who you want.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

Well, I already have a domain that can host the files themselves, but it obviously takes forever to download them from there, and I wouldn't wanna lose the employer's interest because of that. So I either need to downsize the videos to, let's say, a maximum of 10 Mb (which I don't know how to do) or put them in a service a la youtube, but more private.

As you *have* a domain, which presumably has a (web) front end as well, why not simply show the films on there?
    You could very easily create a subpage, and embed the films there. Web browsers have built-in functionality to simply play them from the original location (with the added bonus that should your prospective employer elect to do so, he could *also* download them!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Does your potential employer have a youtube account? If yes, you can make it THAT private (private, seen only by him) or give it a private link that you send away only to who you want.

It's NRK, Norway's public broadcaster, so they do not have a youtube account, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

As you *have* a domain, which presumably has a (web) front end as well, why not simply show the films on there?
    You could very easily create a subpage, and embed the films there. Web browsers have built-in functionality to simply play them from the original location (with the added bonus that should your prospective employer elect to do so, he could *also* download them!)

Hmmm....interesting. Actually, it's already "embedded" as a playback file when you click the domain url, but since the files are so big, they still take forever to load, for example:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/Uka-TV.mpg (this is the 57 Mb clip).

Would it be different if I created a subpage and put the video there instead?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No different, but as you suggested that privacy might be an issue, I thought the idea of having it on a separate subpage might suffice for your current needs, as no "casual stroller" would stumble onto it. You could even go so far as to exclude it from Google's searchbots, but maybe that's a bit over the top for this purpose.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Name it in names that can't be easily traced by google. Uncommon names with numbers and all.
    Use a video editing program like SONY VEGAS for instance, to export to - say .mp4 and have the overall size in kb diminished.
    Upload it and copy-paste the link to your client. If they're so lazy as to not want to wait a minute for a video to be downloaded, then what can i say? Drop 'em ! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or upload somewhere like facebook with restricted priviledges? such as "video accesible to nobody except the 'x' dude" or something...?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Professor Xavier?? He doesn't need facebook.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Name it in names that can't be easily traced by google. Uncommon names with numbers and all.
    Use a video editing program like SONY VEGAS for instance, to export to - say .mp4 and have the overall size in kb diminished.
    Upload it and copy-paste the link to your client. If they're so lazy as to not want to wait a minute for a video to be downloaded, then what can i say? Drop 'em ! wink

He, he...as we're talking my dream job here, I have to make myself as sellable as possible.

Anyway, I have made this clip with a program called "Yasa DVD to MPEG Converter". Then I used a program called "Bink & Smacker" to convert it from .mpeg to .avi, but that actually made the file TWICE AS BIG! Unfortunately B&S doesn't seem to have "mp4" as a conversion possibility? Or does it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .avi files are bigger than mpeg2 (mpg) 'cause the mpg's compression rate is bigger than avi's. You need to either make them .flv (flash videos) or .mp4. SONY VEGAS supports these functions without loss of quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    .avi files are bigger than mpeg2 (mpg) 'cause the mpg's compression rate is bigger than avi's. You need to either make them .flv (flash videos) or .mp4. SONY VEGAS supports these functions without loss of quality.

OK, thanks. Does it mean that Sony Vegas has the same functions as Binck & Smacker, so that I can uninstall the latter once Vegas is installed? The fewer programs I have, the better etc. And is Sony Vegas free?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sony Vegas is not free, but it's a pro software which means less hussle, better results. But if you already have a program (or can find one) that does the same work, then no worries, use those instead. But generally, it's hard to compress digital video THAT MUCH as to be loadind in seconds and still maintain quality...you have to make sacrifices to achieve higher compression rates and thus smaller file sizes.

Oh and what's Binck & Smacker?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sony Vegas is not free, but it's a pro software which means less hussle, better results. But if you already have a program (or can find one) that does the same work, then no worries, use those instead. But generally, it's hard to compress digital video THAT MUCH as to be loadind in seconds and still maintain quality...you have to make sacrifices to achieve higher compression rates and thus smaller file sizes.

Oh and what's Binck & Smacker?

It's a converter program. I think it was you who recommended it once....or at least someone here at maintitles.net, when I needed to convert mpegs to avi.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....I just used my ipod converter program, and it turned out as an mp4-file. That's great, but it only managed to reduce the size by 10 Mb (to 47 Mb). I assume this is the maximum I can expect as far as compression goes (without losing ALL quality)?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bink & Smacker is also a professional tool, interesting it works for free... It's used for computer games!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Does your potential employer have a youtube account? If yes, you can make it THAT private (private, seen only by him) or give it a private link that you send away only to who you want.

On similar lines, I think Google Video allows you to make your video private and viewable only with the correct link access (I don't think the person viewing it needs a Google account).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    47 MB really isn't all too bad for a broadband connection. Post the link, if you will, and we can test the connectivity for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

On similar lines, I think Google Video allows you to make your video private and viewable only with the correct link access (I don't think the person viewing it needs a Google account).

Yes, but unfortunately Google Videos has pretty much ceazed to exist. It is not possible to upload videos anymore. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    47 MB really isn't all too bad for a broadband connection. Post the link, if you will, and we can test the connectivity for you.

Good idea. Will do.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes, but unfortunately Google Videos has pretty much ceazed to exist. It is not possible to upload videos anymore. sad

Yeah, since Google bought Youtube their Videos functionality became redundant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, try this and let me know how long it takes to load with whatever connection you have:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/Uka-TV.mp4
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It loads lightning fast...but it won't run? sad
    (Getting a QuickTime error in Firefox, and the built-in media player for Chrome simply won't do anything)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    It loads lightning fast...but it won't run? sad
    (Getting a QuickTime error in Firefox, and the built-in media player for Chrome simply won't do anything)

It may be because you tried to run it while I uploaded and replaced it with an even smaller file (38 MB) with slightly less quality.

Try this instead:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/Tufte.mp4

The slightly smaller file of the second video should also be up now, with the same file name.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They load just fine! I have a 24mbps (supposedly) adsl connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    They load just fine! I have a 24mbps (supposedly) adsl connection.

Cool! Can you play the files too?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Works like a charm!
    Loads within 20 seconds and plays all the way through without any hiccups!