• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010
    I know you're joking, but I feel always I need to defend WSA a bit. wink

Since they have a different timeslot, independent from the film year or other big awards, it sometimes seems like they're a bit behind.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The nomination process should be from January 1 to December 31 not in the middle of the year or what ever. It's incredibly silly to do it any other way. How can you say something is the best of the year when eligibility spans across two different years.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The time slot is for all films released commercially and runs from 1 July 2009 until 30 June 2010. Public Choice Award falls in this period as well.

I don't see what is so silly about that? confused
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because a year begins on January 1. What's with starting a selection period in the middle of the year? Bizzaro!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. How did Abel feel about being "Discovery of The Year"? "It's about time, too!" His score for An Angel From Cracow is from 2002!

I suppose that it shows the power of Hollywood.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I just listened to three of his works on his website: Pu-239, Copernicus Star, and Battle for Terra.

How is this man not more popular in the States?
  3. They are all excellent scores - based on the clips available. Maybe his higher profile may eventually result in his back catalogue being released at some point in the future?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How they're in comparison to A single man?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I'd say in terms of tone and instrumentation, Pu-239 is similar to A Single Man, but it's not quite as effusive.

The other two are more suspense/action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited
    You can download about 30 min. of his score to Metropolis from iTunes for free, in Podcast version. Highly recommended!
  5. Oooh, thanks. This could be cool. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    You can download about 30 min. of his score to Metropolis from iTunes for free, in Podcast version. Highly recommended!

Link?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    They're the same mp3s as can be 'downloaded' from his site, I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    You can get it streaming on his site, I believe, and here you can officially download it for on your iPod smile.

http://itunes.apple.com/nl/podcast/metr … d131118504
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Thanks!
  6. I finally got round to seeing 'A Single Man'. I have to say I both liked the film and the score. I thought the score was quite powerful in a subtle way. In certain parts of the movie it was the film supporting the weight of it, not the images, the actors or anything else... The music was really carrying it. And for that I can understand the WSA decission to arward him this year. How he got the public behind him is another question. How many people watched this pic anyway when it came out? And voted for it?

Anyhow, I'm just glad to see/hear a deserved score win.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010
    Many, this film and score got a lot of attention last year and very worthy so, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    How many people watched this pic anyway when it came out? And voted for it?

Me! Me! Me!

Plus, it got quite some attention during the Oscar season. It's really not that much of an underdog anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010
    Yeap beer
  7. It's one of my new all-time favorite films and scores. It's too bad it didn't get an Oscar nom; I certainly thought it was a better score than Up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    Yes, great film and score. It will be going on my Top 10 list of 2010 movies in a short while (upcoming montages article).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010 edited
    It doesn't rank above Up for me, at least not having seen A Single Man. Up just has a diversity of charm that's hard to refuse. A Beautiful Man is beautiful though in parts: "Swimming," "Daydreams," "Going Somewhere," and "Stillness of the Mind" are all wonderful. Some parts of it did feel a little repetitive though on album, a feeling I haven't gotten from listening to any of Abel's other work on his site.

But if there were any contest between Up, or any score from last year, and either Battle for Terra or Copernicus' Star--Abel wins, hands down. This guy is or will be one of the best composers of our age, given the right opportunities. He has a wonderful fluidity to his compositions. It all feels very natural. You can sit back and relax listening to his work and just turn off the critic's ear, because it's obvious he absolutely knows what he's doing.

I want releases of Battle for Terra and Copernicus' Star for Christmas. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Has anyone checked out Abel's "Music for Drama" album on iTunes? How is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Not me, but i would certainly be interested in hearing comments about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Me too. :P

If anyone doesn't already have it for some reason, Abel's "A Single Man" is $5.00 on Amazon MP3 for a while. Part of their 1,000 $5 albums deal.

-A Single Man
    -$5 soundtracks section
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011

8. Take a look here: http://www.abelkorzeniowski.com/battle- … -has-begun
  9. Samples don't work. sad
  10. For those unaware, it seems La La Land is releasing a limited CD of Copernicus' Star. Here's the FSM post announcing it.

You can hear lengthy clips of this fabulous-sounding score on the composer's web site

Seems like an instant buy for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    A couple of the "Comments" made me lol

Seriously though, I did like what I heard even if I hear some Harry Potter/A Beautiful Mind temp tracking going on.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt