• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    Sad but: No physical release, no purchase. Such my aquisitions dwindle down.

Once again, this obstinateness continues to baffle me. If you want a physical copy of the score, just burn it to CD when you've downloaded it!
  2. Jon Broxton wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Once again, this obstinateness continues to baffle me. If you want a physical copy of the score, just burn it to CD when you've downloaded it!

Jon,

I am a collector, a connoisseur! I want the original physical product, the professionally printed artwork. Plus: A burned CD is different from a pressed one. Surely you can appreciate the difference between an e-book and the real thing. I need to feel it, hold it in my hands, see it sitting on my shelf.
    Also: Mostly they offer mp3 not flac. Im not paying any real money for some lossy (I know that I can't hear the difference, that's not the point.), virtual something that I don't even own! I can't even sell the thing, because I don't own it, because it's not really there. I am granted usage of some virtual thingy, nothing more. Just today there was some kind of judgement to that extend over there in the US.

But: CDs won't go so fast. They will vanish from the shops, they will not vanish from special markets, run by mail order.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote

Come, join us -- we have cookies!

We are a group of score lovers who don't jump on every new score, don't feel every purchase must be of something new. There are tons of CD's of old scores you've never even heard, awaiting you out there. Decades of scores rom composers you don't know, and ones you do, but have never heard all the works of yet.

One of us. One of us. One of us. We promise there's no white robes, Nike shoes, and Kool-Aid.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Captain Future wrote(I know that I can't hear the difference, that's not the point.)

confused I'd think that would be the only point?

I definitely prefer physical, but if it's a decision between digital download or no release at all, I think it's completely illogical not to go for the former.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote(I know that I can't hear the difference, that's not the point.)

confused I'd think that would be the only point?

I definitely prefer physical, but if it's a decision between digital download or no release at all, I think it's completely illogical not to go for the former.

I demand my right to be irrational! dizzy
  6. justin boggan wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Come, join us -- we have cookies!

We are a group of score lovers who don't jump on every new score, don't feel every purchase must be of something new. There are tons of CD's of old scores you've never even heard, awaiting you out there. Decades of scores rom composers you don't know, and ones you do, but have never heard all the works of yet.

One of us. One of us. One of us. We promise there's no white robes, Nike shoes, and Kool-Aid.

He he - nice post! biggrin

Well, my score collection (now 750 precisely) centeres on the silver age anyway, with a good share of golden age classics and only a handful of new scores every year.
    But now that you mention it: When I regard my collection I do get a sense of completeness. (In my collection, not in myself.) My love to film music is an extension of my love for films. I need to know and like a film in order to get interested in its score. (In total contrast to Thor's approach.) And now my score collection mirrors my DVD collection.
    So I believe the collecting frenzy I experianced this past three years - with a flood of sensational releases I never thought possible - will cool down significantly.
    But of course there is a sea of music that remains to be explored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    Yeah, ignore all the great new music, stay stuck in the past. Great tactics.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Yeah, ignore all the great new music, stay stuck in the past. Great tactics.

I agree with you D but at the same time so many people ignore the past greats, a lot of people are just stuck in the new.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which is equally bad IMO. Any of the two extremes can do the same damage.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. I would rather try to understand both approaches rather than being very critical... just for the sake of being critical. Knowing where fans of film music come from is an important part of our community, I think. Let's take a look at how much new fans were brought to the genre by Inception and Tron: Legacy and what were the most popular scores, let's say in the second half of the 1970s.

I think the most open film music fans were the ones who started listening to scores in the 1980s, because then there were two scoring approaches that were equally legitimate and even that in the careers of the same composers. Look at how one composer could compose both Krull and Commando (I hate Horner's Commando, but that's another thing) in the course of a few years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    I just found out Abel's scoring Romeo & Juliet! Out Oct. 8th! Apparently he replaced John Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013
    Feliz wrote
    I just found out Abel's scoring Romeo & Juliet! Out Oct. 8th! Apparently he replaced John Horner.

Well, better late than never. For most of us, this is old news.

More importantly, however, who is this John Horner? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  8. John Horner is the secret alter ego that speaks in an American accent. When he reverts to a British one for no apparent reason, he is James Horner. biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Feliz wrote

Yes, and in other news, I heard a rumor that James Newton Howard is composing the score to the Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire...Can anyone confirm?
  10. There are some people who have a live besides roaming film music boards. wink They might miss out on some news from time to time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Captain Future wrote
    There are some people who have a live besides roaming film music boards. wink They might miss out on some news from time to time.

yeah

Also he said "I just found", he didn't said breaking news or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Feliz wrote

Yes, and in other news, I heard a rumor that James Newton Howard is composing the score to the Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire...Can anyone confirm?

JNH' score got rejected and now Brad Fiedel is scoring it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What do you guys mean, "there's life outside film music"?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    What do you guys mean, "there's life outside film music"?

You have to like, do things to acquire money to buy film music, pay for the electricity to run your sound equipment and/or computer, and feed yourself so that your ears continue to function. That's what they mean.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. That's why you are looking for a job as a teacher right now, or arn't you Thor?
  12. OMG! Breaking news!: Williams is scoring "Jaws"!!!

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I still don't understand what you mean. Is there a world outside my film score cavern? I've seen some people walking back and forth outside my basement window, but I don't really know what they're doing.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Plato? Allegory of the Cave?
  14. justin boggan wrote
    OMG! Breaking news!: Williams is scoring "Jaws"!!!

tongue

And Alex North is scoring 2001 ...
  15. I got bad news about that...

Here you go, Feliz:
    http://www.RejectedFilmScores.150m.com/list.html
    http://www.RejectedFilmScores.150m.com/ … ected.html

That should keep you very nicely up-to-date on replacements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Well excuuuuse me! :P Yes, alright, fine, I just discovered old news and I'm excited. This would've been the perfect opportunity to use a Slowpoke meme on myself, but I don't like memes. Also John Powell's scoring Brave guys. Wikipedia said so once. wink

I just started using Soundamus so I won't miss so much--you dump your iTunes artist library in there and they give you a feed of new/upcoming album releases. Now I've got it linked with Google Calendar so I can see what day everything gets released chronologically. I started it mostly for song artists, but apparently I've been missing soundtrack news too. :P

And thanks, Justin! Useful site.
  16. Feliz wrote
    Also John Powell's scoring Brave guys. Wikipedia said so once. wink

omg
  17. John Powell and Robert Folk were two names that were rumored for "Brave" several months before the film came out, even under the film's original name. Looks like some boneheads took an unconfirmed rumorand added it to wikipedia.
  18. Samples from Romeo & Juliet are on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romeo-Juliet-Ab … ef=mb_oe_o

Sounds gorgeous!

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  19. Synchrotones wrote
    Samples from Romeo & Juliet are on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romeo-Juliet-Ab … ef=mb_oe_o

Sounds gorgeous!

<s>

Sounds like Phil Glass. But yes: Georgeous.