• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    I'm in the process of reviewing "City Lights/Carl Davis for Naxos. I'll be speaking to Carl on how this recording came to being.
    Tom

I'm somehow getting the idea that this site is slowly beginning to fade. Speaking to Carl Davis would have been a big deal for the forum in the past. Now it generated nothing in terms of a response from other members.
    Tom sad
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Personally, my enjoyment of Davis' work is limited and so did not read this topic. Therefore, I missed that you will be talking to the man himself.

Obviously, I am pleased that you have the chance to talk with him and I hope it goes well. I look forward to hearing about the experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I'm in the process of reviewing "City Lights/Carl Davis for Naxos. I'll be speaking to Carl on how this recording came to being.
    Tom

I'm somehow getting the idea that this site is slowly beginning to fade. Speaking to Carl Davis would have been a big deal for the forum in the past. Now it generated nothing in terms of a response from other members.
    Tom sad

Get an interview with Hans Zimmer* and they'll be climbing over each other to get to your review Tom.

Unfortunately, like Alan my enjoyment of Carl Davis work is very limited but still, I'll be very interested to read your interview with him.

*And I would be far more interested in a Tom interviews Hans Zimmer than one of his many fans here at the board ( and no offence intended to those fine members ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. That's the thing Tim, although I have a limited interest in Davis' music, I am very much interested in hearing from Tom on his experience.

Tom, it is just unfortunate that the information of your "interview" was contained in a topic I don't normally visit.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Twould seem I was editing my post while you wrote that comment Alan smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Tom sad

You're not going to get a response to every single post you write, Tom.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012
    disagree Erik. I put it in the same category as mono recordings and Andre Previn. My interests are just different from other members of this forum.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Or they are busy in other threads. Yes, I understand that we all have different interests but maybe others are busy listening and commenting on something else to take time to comment on every single thread on this message board. Dont get your panties all in a knot about it! Relax!

-Erik-

PS - Carl Davis rules!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am quite relaxed and I have no problem in accepting the fact that few people are interested in what I find fascinating.
    Tom
  3. When talking to Carl Davis, make sure the topic of conversation never strays from "Carl Davis" He doesn't like it. Oh, and don't forget to ask how his Amazing Technicolor Jean Boht is doing! smile
  4. And on the subject of Davis and his music, I was listening to some of his music on the album "Carl's War" and at track from Echoes That Remain - "III. Pogrom No. 1" - and something sounded familiar...

Turns out Davis uses the same "Oyf'n Pripetshok" melody (a Yiddish song) I am more familiar hearing in John Williams' Schindler's List.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    Jon Broxton wrote
    When talking to Carl Davis, make sure the topic of conversation never strays from "Carl Davis" He doesn't like it. Oh, and don't forget to ask how his Amazing Technicolor Jean Boht is doing! smile

Thanks for the tip on the "Amazing Technicolor Jean Boht." The topic of conversation is City Lights/Chaplin. This is being done on an assignment I have for Naxos, distributor of his CD label.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    I for one am on the other hand enjoying much of Davis' work immensely - especially his works on Napoleon and Ben-Hur . There is something about his masterful treatment of the orchestral colours as well as his capability of writing in different styles that has impressed me since the first time I heard his music.

So, Tom, you are in fact not alone! smile cheesy biggrin

(And give mr Davis my best!)
    - What matters is the music -
  5. Napoleon and Ben-Hur are two titles that I do enjoy.

His compilation album Carl's War and his music for the Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean ice-ballet Fire & Ice is something I also like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    My interview went quite well with Carl. I'm hoping this is going to be a good article. Thanks Jon smile for the tips on how to talk to Carl. He invited me to call him or his office at anytime.
    Tom
  6. Great news Tom. Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    Nice!! Looking very much forward to that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    cheesy punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    Next month I'll be interviewing Klaus Heymann, owner of Naxos at the request of Naxos about his new book. Talk about a self made multi millionaire.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom - When is Golden Scores going to be back?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    Never. At least not with my help. I don't have time. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Darn!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/u … airsdavis/

A new release from Davis.
    Tom
  7. Faris' original theme is something I grew up with. Interesting review Tom though the influences on the score do not appeal on this occasion.

I was listening to some of Davis' music for an early version of Ben-Hur. Quite different from Rozsa's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    I'm writing a review on the Ben-Hur (1925) that Davis wrote.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    I'm surprised it has been a year since this thread has been visited. I'm well into my review of "Frankenstein Unbound"
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I'm surprised it has been a year since this thread has been visited.

Well, it's not like the world is flowing over with Carl Davis news. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I'm more interested in the original scores of silent movies. Unless they do something entirely different like Moroder did with "Metropolis".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/f … arl-davis/

My review which includes an audio clip featuring the two basic themes
    Tom