• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ondes.html

But a Google search (to make sure there wasn't a previous composer, show's the score is done, so this is rather late news:

The score was recorded at Abbey Road with the LSO at the end of August 2007.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. hmn, this sounds promising, I simply adore Animal Farm (one of the best orchestral scores of 2000) and his Plague and The Moonflower is surely magical too, the description of this one then also makes me wanna get it biggrin

Any word of a CD release?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    I would agree that it looks interesting... don't know him, but I may check him out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Plague and The Moonflower is very good too although i never fell for Animal Farm; too odd for my tastes wink My single favorite Harvey work though would be the absolutely gorgeous ""Kyrie for the Magdalene" in the DA VINCI CODE soundtrack. Tops 'em all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    bartley wrote
    I would agree that it looks interesting... don't know him, but I may check him out!
    You might know him but don't actually know yet wink See the post above ("Kyrie for the Magdalene")
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Plague and The Moonflower is very good too although i never fell for Animal Farm; too odd for my tastes wink

and you attack me for not liking Underworld biggrin

its all a matter of tastes I guess, I'll listen to Underworld, you have to listen to Animal Farm again tongue
    Go now wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    Ah, i didn't attack you; sorry it looked like that but then again i didn't place all those emoticons for nothing! wink As for THE ANIMAL FARM, i'll too admit i don't remember it very well; it had some very nice themes in it but some very ODD pieces too, i remember i was so let-down by those; and it hasn't been long since i last played it either. I'll go dig it up and we'll see although i doubt it'll do anything.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, i didn't attack you; sorry it looked like that but then again i didn't place all those emoticons for nothing! wink As for THE ANIMAL FARM, i'll too admit i don't remember it very well; it had some very nice themes in it but some very ODD pieces too, i remember i was so let-down by those; and it hasn't been long since i last played it either. I'll go dig it up and we'll see although i doubt it'll do anything.

I know you didn't attack me buddie wink
    I was just doing the same thing back smile
    sometimes hearing it again after a long time can open your eyes, who knows we'll love both scores do the death smile
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Wonderful composer! Plague And The Moonflower is very, very good. His score for the tv-drama Colditz is pretty good too, with a gorgeous main theme.
  5. Please discover the virtues of Richard Harvey, a composer who deserves more credit. Reviews are now added of his work:

- Animal Farm
    - Arabian Nights
    - Les Deux Mondes
    - Plague and the Moonflower

Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    Good reviews, Thomas.
    Specifically you mirrored my own ambivalence towards Arabian Nights spot on!

One small side note: The Plague And The Moonflower isn't actually a soundtrack, but an oratorio.

In light of your praise for Harvey in general, I have no qualms in recommending my own Harvey favourite Luther, a very fine soundtrack with some great explorations into Early Music (echoing the time of its setting), yet still very Romantic in style and feel. A truly enjoyable romp (though again it is very long!)

The film, incidentally, is shit.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009 edited
    I love his work on ethnic woodwinds in The Lion King and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I haven't heard the reviewed scores yet but I'll be checking them out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    I love his work on ethnic woodwinds in The Lion King

Ya did? shocked
    shocked Really? shocked
    You're not shitting us? shocked shocked shocked
    shocked shocked Honestly?

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Bam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    bunny
  6. Martijn wrote
    Good reviews, Thomas.
    Specifically you mirrored my own ambivalence towards Arabian Nights spot on!

One small side note: The Plague And The Moonflower isn't actually a soundtrack, but an oratorio.

In light of your praise for Harvey in general, I have no qualms in recommending my own Harvey favourite Luther, a very fine soundtrack with some great explorations into Early Music (echoing the time of its setting), yet still very Romantic in style and feel. A truly enjoyable romp (though again it is very long!)

The film, incidentally, is shit.

I know about Plague and the Moonflower, I even added it not as movie but as event, but apparently it didn't take it

I just reviewed it as a soundtrack considering it feels that way

Anyway, I heard Colditz (wasn't that enthralled by it, despite several awesome tracks) but haven't heard Luther yet
  7. DemonStar wrote
    I love his work on ethnic woodwinds in The Lion King and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I haven't heard the reviewed scores yet but I'll be checking them out!

I think most of us know him as the ethnic woodwind guy on those scores, but be sure to check out his stuff, Les Deux Mondes is awesome and you can't get a better score with all the twists than Animal Farm, my favourite
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I think most of us know him as the ethnic woodwind guy on those scores, but be sure to check out his stuff, Les Deux Mondes is awesome and you can't get a better score with all the twists than Animal Farm, my favourite

Will do! smile
  8. It's somewhat sad that he's more known as a soloist for Hans Zimmer scores than he is for his own accomplished scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. Recently he has done much more for Harry Gregson-Williams too. Who can forget his solos on Kingdom of Heaven?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    I can't!

He has his feet in the classical world too. So the composer has many hats. Here is a review of his Concerto Incantato that was performed by Michala Petri.

http://www.richardharvey.net/News_15.html

From this review: "The lengthy, five movement work, draws heavily on his background in cinematic music, particularly fantasy and sci-fi soundtracks, oozing walls of warm string harmony and a distinct story-telling quality."
    lick

I hope this will get a CD release!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    [Video] Follow the Dream - THE SCORING HOUSE by Richard Harvey

(thanks to tracksounds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJclguuLW0
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016
    I just stumbled on this odd little thing Harvey wrote back in the 70s(?). I like it.

Nifty Digit