• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    I enjoy his The Princess Bride score the most, out of all his scores. Although it does sound aged, it's still very easy to listen and relax to.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    His scores ain't too bad as albums, but I've often felt that Knopfler was really too much "out of his element" in films. I don't think he has the dramatic skill that is required, and often it feels like he just plays his scores like any other pop album, with little regard to the rhythm and flow of the films.

I'm an old-time Dire Straits fan, though, so I like the man's music in general.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    Ditto, Thor. Reminds me of Vangelis in some ways (obviously not in terms of how the music sounds, but in terms of him just applying his usual sound to a film environment without any real dramatic sense). Like most of his albums, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Ditto, Thor. Reminds me of Vangelis in some ways (obviously not in terms of how the music sounds, but in terms of him just applying his usual sound to a film environment without any real dramatic sense). Like most of his albums, though.

Well, I wouldn't say the same of Vangelis. While he may not have the most "dramatic" sense in terms of following the ebb and flow of the narrative, he has a keen sense of how the audio and visuals work, and then "knits" his music around that. He's a MASTER texturalist, which is more than can be said of Knopfler.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. LOCAL HERO is a great score, to my ears. Works beautifully in the film. (Which as the years go by, feels like one of the true classic gentle comedies of the 80s.)

WAG THE DOG is strong also, but doesn't contribute as much to the film as the music does to LOCAL HERO.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    I have never heard anything by him. What would you recommend for a first contact? Or should i not bother?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's nothing taxing, it's very pleasent, listenable music. I quite like Local Hero and a few other themes. Try and find some samples D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Tim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have never heard anything by him. What would you recommend for a first contact? Or should i not bother?

Of Knopfler's compositions in general, I would recommend Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold" album, first and foremost.

In terms of soundtracks, I would go for the SCREENPLAYING sampler first, which showcases most of his film scores up to 1995 or thereabouts. Much of it has a Celtic flavour and it's pleasing listening and everything. It's just not always very good FILM music in context. THE PRINCESS BRIDE is probably the score that is closest to a more traditional, symphonic score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Of Knopfler's compositions in general, I would recommend Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold" album, first and foremost.

In terms of soundtracks, I would go for the SCREENPLAYING sampler first, which showcases most of his film scores up to 1995 or thereabouts. Much of it has a Celtic flavour and it's pleasing listening and everything. It's just not always very good FILM music in context. THE PRINCESS BRIDE is probably the score that is closest to a more traditional, symphonic score.

Nicely pointed out Thor. Until I got overexposed to Love Over Gold I absolutely loved that album, I haven't heard it for well over ten years now so I would probably enjoy it again now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    "Celtic flavour"..........hmm uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I always found Knopfler's work to be "gently babbling along".
    For someone who needs his themes BOLD and CLEAR (like me cool ) it's never the most rewarding of listens.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, i read "pass" in there wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...I dunno. You might try Local Hero.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. The themes of LOCAL HERO are pretty bold and clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Celtic sounding?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not really. Nor are they very bold. Rather more kindly babbling along.
  3. I'll revise my statement:

"When the themes of LOCAL HERO are not bold and clear, they are more kindly babbling along."

There is one dance that's kind of celtic.
    The main theme you'll have heard before. It's hard to have been on the earth for long and not have heard it.
  4. Local Hero is one of Anne's favourite films and I was listening to Knopfler's "Wild Theme" from the score. I like the musician's "sound" and so I hunted down some more of his stuff. I like his short score for Wag The Dog...and I'll be back when I remind myself what else I sampled (I'm on the phone at the moment with only one browser opportunity.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. ...A Shot At Glory was the other score I took selections from.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Have you heard his score to A Shot at Glory? It's a movie about Scottish football (to Americans - soccer), featuring a very good Robert Duvall (and a short and interesting part from Michael Keaton!) as the coach and partly resolving around the conflict between Glasgow Celtics and Rangers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. As aomw of you remember, Knopfler and Evelyn Glennie scored the film "Finding Altamira", which opened overseas and a soundtrack was released (I didn't know there was one).

I found a short making-of video on the score:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ-CptVG820

And here is the first track from the release:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdAhSZB2lh8
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. The Alchemy Live Concert of 1983 was on PBS TV yesterday night here in Germany and I became completely absorbed by it. Dire Straits never made the most sophisticated kind of Rock but they know to craft a tune and man, what fabulous instrumentalists they are.

cool Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    The Alchemy Live Concert of 1983 was on PBS TV yesterday night here in Germany and I became completely absorbed by it. Dire Straits never made the most sophisticated kind of Rock but they know to craft a tune and man, what fabulous instrumentalists they are.

cool Volker

LOVE OVER GOLD was pretty sophisticated; their masterpiece. But I agree -- for as big a fan I was of them as a kid (I think they were my favourite band at one point), I can now see that their music was fairly straightforward.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    I got a Dire Straits "hook" recently, listening to all of my 9 DS/Knopfler albums (both scores and studio albums). What a great ride it was! Can't believe I sold off my SCREENPLAYING CD years ago.
    I am extremely serious.