• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010
    Since we have a photoshopping issues thread (and one for iTunes, ipod, general computer issues etc.), we should also have one for video issues, I think.

I have a bunch of clips in different formats (mostly Windows Media files) that I'm going to show in a lecture soon. However, I've found that Powerpoint isn't really the best way to show them - the pic seems to have deteriorated, the sound is way too low and can't get any higher, the pic jitters.

So I was wondering - is there a good VIDEO slideshow program out there somewhere?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. There is one utility, standard in XP, Service Pack 2 and onwards: Windows Movie Maker.

Perfect for putting one video after another with transition effects and such... very easy to use.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    Yeah... for basic, basic video editing needs... especially working with WMV files... Windows Movie Maker is the best bet for you, Thor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    Sorry, but you misunderstand. I've already used Windows Movie Maker for actually MAKING the files. Now I want to show them one after the other (with the possibility to have them stop automatically after each clip). Plus, some of the files aren't wmv and wouldn't be compatible with Movie Maker in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You are just going to have to play each video clip separately.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh That sucks. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh That sucks. sad

Or... put each video segment onto one timeline. Leave 5-10 seconds of black in between each segment. Play the first clip and once it ends pause it. Then when you are ready to play the next clip just hit space-bar (or whatever triggers Movie Maker to play the timeline) and there you go!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh That sucks. sad

Or... put each video segment onto one timeline. Leave 5-10 seconds of black in between each segment. Play the first clip and once it ends pause it. Then when you are ready to play the next clip just hit space-bar (or whatever triggers Movie Maker to play the timeline) and there you go!

-Erik-

That's one possibility, yes. I'm not sure how to make black gaps between clips, nor if Movie Maker accepts my non-wmv files too, but I'll check into it. Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    I'm not sure how to make black gaps between clips, nor if Movie Maker accepts my non-wmv files too, but I'll check into it. Thanks.

It does. Just create a JPEG that's a black image and then adjust the length you need it to show for in movie maker.
  2. Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm not sure how to make black gaps between clips, nor if Movie Maker accepts my non-wmv files too, but I'll check into it. Thanks.

It does. Just create a JPEG that's a black image and then adjust the length you need it to show for in movie maker.

That's right, it accepts images as well. All in all it's a neat little program if you want to make something decent with a minimum of skill and time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's right, it accepts images as well.

I know...that's why I said it. wink tongue
  3. Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's right, it accepts images as well.

I know...that's why I said it. wink tongue

I know... that's why I said 'That's right, ...' dizzy rolleyes wink spin sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now, now, behave yourselves children. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. But Master Yoda, started it he did ! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh That sucks. sad

-Erik-

That is a good advice, but as the presentation's real time requirements might extend beyond the time gap you'll decide to enter there, it's best if you play them separately, manually.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    I have made a lot of movies (in HD) of my trip to Germany. I want to make a montage with it, but I have no idea what tools I best use. I just want to select pieces of videos, and put music on it. I don't think Windows Movie Maker is a good option? I don't really want much encoding/decoding issues, if that would be possible at all.

It are all movies in Apple's .mov format, and 20 seconds of video is approximately 50MB.
    Kazoo
  5. WMM doesn't accept Quicktime I'm sure. And you will need to convert the files if you want to edit. Or there must be some sort of .MOV editing program out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    I have made a lot of movies (in HD) of my trip to Germany. I want to make a montage with it, but I have no idea what tools I best use. I just want to select pieces of videos, and put music on it. I don't think Windows Movie Maker is a good option? I don't really want much encoding/decoding issues, if that would be possible at all.

It are all movies in Apple's .mov format, and 20 seconds of video is approximately 50MB.

Sony vegas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    All right. That is clear. biggrin wink

Downloading the trial. Thanks. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh That sucks. sad

-Erik-

That is a good advice, but as the presentation's real time requirements might extend beyond the time gap you'll decide to enter there, it's best if you play them separately, manually.

Yeah... that's exactly what I meant. I didn't mean for Thor to just hit play once and let the timeline play until all the videos were done. The gap of black is just there to give Thor time to pause the first video and give him a little lead in time with the next.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know my friend, But how are you meant to calculate the time gap you'll be needed? You don't know the real-time factors that will affect the presentation that day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I actually managed to put in a little black space between the clips, inserting a socalled "title" inbetween (without text). It only last for 3-4 seconds, but it's enough to press "pause". I managed to save the Moviemaker file as one separate video file with all the 20-something clips (ca. 350 Mb), so I hope/think it should work out well. The lecture is 3x45 minutes, so I will have the video file open at all times, toggling between it and a Powerpoint, iTunes (for music clips) and an internet window.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know my friend, But how are you meant to calculate the time gap you'll be needed? You don't know the real-time factors that will affect the presentation that day.

Thor gives a lead up to the clip... then he plays the first clip that's on the time line. Once that clip has finished playing he hits the spacebar to pause the timeline. There is 5-10 seconds of BLACK between the FIRST video that he just played and the NEXT one on the timeline. Thor continues his lecture. When he is ready to play the next clip in the timeline he hits spacebar to trigger the playhead. There is a brief pause of BLACK before the next video begins but it will begin in roughly 5-10 seconds. Get it?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Got it got it, if you are to press pause inbetween, you can also play individual video files too and save the trouble of rendering a new track with all the material - plus 'black' images in-between. But whatever serves each person's needs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Got it got it, if you are to press pause inbetween, you can also play individual video files too and save the trouble of rendering a new track with all the material - plus 'black' images in-between. But whatever serves each person's needs!

Well, according to Thor's needs what I said above pretty much solves his problems. He didn't want to render out dozens and dozens of separate videos which is why I suggested the one timeline solution which I've used many, many times!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Sony vegas.

Works like a charm! I thought video editing would be a hell. But it's so easy. Thanks D!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    smile Let me know if you have any difficulties with it, Sony Vegas is truly one of the best - if not the best, video editing software around. It might not do all the stuff that programs like AVID or FINAL CUT do, but it follows very closely 'cause it delivers pro quality end-results but easily, fast and resource-lightly.