• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    So rather than being self-contained and self-referential, to be evaluated from the outisde, as Eco seems to do, I would argue clichés are inherent to archetypes and thus reflect our own psychological/sociological/emotional make-up: we are as much part of the clichés as they are part of us.

I agree, but they become particularly evident when they're surrounded by ideas that are LESS clichée-driven. They stick out more like sore thumbs then, if you will. I think that CONVENTION is a better word to describe that common approach that appeals to all of us (minor mode means 'sad', for example). Convention is often more hidden, because it runs through the core of whatever is being created. Clichées, on the other hand, are more obvious and basically just shortcuts to get the desired effects when the creator isn't able to communicate it more originally. So we recognize them to the extent that is has an opposite "meta-effect".

As far as the Religious Sound list goes, most of these are so effective to me because of a particular type of CONVENTION, but you could argue that a few tracks BORDER on clichée too, like the Michael J. Lewis track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    Good point, and well expressed. yeah, I would go along with that, and in that context it makes perfect sense that a cliché could be "laughable" (or indeed, as I suggested before, annoying).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    As far as the Religious Sound list goes, most of these are so effective to me because of a particular type of CONVENTION, but you could argue that a few tracks BORDER on clichée too, like the Michael J. Lewis track.

Hmmm... I'll give it a re-listen both in the context of the score and the playlist.
    See if I change my mind about it.
    Interesting experiment! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Who the feck is Eco?

Synth wizard/composer done stuff with Roxy Music, David Bowie, David Byrne....

oh sorry. He wrote The Name of The Rose and is considered a bit bright.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Who the feck is Eco?

Synth wizard/composer done stuff with Roxy Music, David Bowie, David Byrne....

oh sorry. He wrote The Name of The Rose and is considered a bit bright.

LOL...Brian Eco, Umberto's less gifted brother?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Ah, Eco. Fell in love with what i read so far. But frankly i can't read all that. Could you summarize your point in 1-2 sentences?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    War is bad.
    Love is good.

(what "all that" do you mean, D.? The Name Of The Rose?) Or Thor citing Eco about clichés? (Which actually kinda was two sentences) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i read the books. All that, is for your comments in these 2 pages smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The new Delos release has some quite moving religious music in "Zoya," a Shostakovich soundtrack from 1944.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    I just received BLACK ROBE, all the way from South Korea (no, it's not a bootleg). I thought perhaps there were more lovely religious sound as I could hear in the 9-minute suite on the Delerue compilation, but unfortunately, most of the remaining tracks were more in suspense category. Not very exciting. Oh well, I gave it a shot. It's still a nice disc, overall.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. In terms of a religious tinge, you cannot ignore Thomas Newman's Angels in America. Practically every track on that score has an elegiac feel to it, but I would single out the opening title track, "Black Angel", and "Garden of the Soul."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    John Tavener , Arvo Part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    Hmm I'm pretty sure I know what "sound" you're talking about Thor. "Religious" seems to me an odd way to describe it though...not that I have any better ideas smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Hmm I'm pretty sure I know what "sound" you're talking about Thor. "Religious" seems to me an odd way to describe it though...not that I have any better ideas smile

In later years, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps "spiritual" is a better word. But since many of the harmonies have their roots in traditional hymns and religious music, and since the term is so established in my vocabulary by now, I'm just going to keep it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011
    I'm a big fan of this topic. I'm kind of intrigued to make a religious play list myself now. Thanks Thor! Here is one I really enjoy. Becket's Matyrdom from Becket (1964) composed by Laurence Rosenthal. I love the blending of the strings with the singing months. A really terrifying and awesome sound at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    omaha wrote
    I'm a big fan of this topic. I'm kind of intrigued to make a religious play list myself now. Thanks Thor! Here is one I really enjoy. Becket's Matyrdom from Becket (1964) composed by Laurence Rosenthal. I love the blending of the strings with the singing months. A really terrifying and awesome sound at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion, but you apparently need a password to access it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ^
    That's odd. It is set as a public video. I wish it would let you listen. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    omaha wrote
    ^
    That's odd. It is set as a public video. I wish it would let you listen. slant

Hmm....apparently, I had to log in because of some new Youtube feature (that it must be connected to my Google account). Has youtube and Google merged while I slept?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ^
    That they have. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited
    By the way, the clip isn't within my definition of "religious sound", but it has some Gregorian chanting going on. And then it ends with some type of harsh suspense writing. I assume it's from the part when Becket is killed?!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thor wrote
    By the way, the clip isn't within my definition of "religious sound", but it has some Gregorian chanting going on. And then it ends with some type of harsh suspense writing. I assume it's from the part when Becket is killed?!

Ah, I definitely see what your saying. Well, let me agree with you that the latter parts of A.I. are on my religious list. Beautiful, haunting, definitely spiritual melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014
    Damnit, I keep losing my own playlist(s). Does anyone have the lists that I linked to in the first post, but that are no longer available?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Didn't I send them through TWICE already in the past? dizzy
    Sorry, Thor. I fear I'm no longer able to help as I have augmented the initial lists with my own preferences...and the sequence is nothing like you set up initially (I mainly play them on shuffle anyway).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Added thought: I *could* send you my playlists?
    There's a close (though no longer perfect) overlap with your choices as your playlists is what I based mine on in the first place (I actually painstakingly perfectly recreated them initially).

AT least you'd be able to distill your own choices again (and maybe find some added bonuses in the process?) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Didn't I send them through TWICE already in the past? dizzy
    Sorry, Thor. I fear I'm no longer able to help as I have augmented the initial lists with my own preferences...and the sequence is nothing like you set up initially (I mainly play them on shuffle anyway).

I know! I'm extremely forgetful about things (or 'distré', as we call it in Norway).

Oh well, I'll have to make a new one. There are a few additions since my intial program. I would be very interested in knowing your new, updated list, though, Martijn. Maybe some tips for me there too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure, Thor.
    Let me know a mail address I can use and I'll send them to you!
  2. Thor, are you b.t.w. into classical religious music, oratori and masses?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor, are you b.t.w. into classical religious music, oratori and masses?

Yes! But still loads to discover.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    anyone not into Beethoven's 9th is well, use your imagination.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Kein Brüder?