• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BasilB wrote
    Sound Clips:

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … Cobra.html

I will definitely check this one out. The clips are not overlly exciting but not bad either...

must resist crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    We rarely get new scores by the greats today, a new score by Silvestri is an event on its own.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    A very valid point D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    We rarely get new scores by the greats today, a new score by Silvestri is an event on its own.

I don't think it will beat The Mummy Returns or even Van Helsing, but I'm hoping for something, fun and exciting

that isn't much to ask for does it? shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    I'm hearing from people who pre-ordered G.I Joe from Colesseum that the CD is actually mastered from a lossy source, equivalent to about 192 kbps MP3!! Did anyone else get the CD, can you confirm it too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm hearing from people who pre-ordered G.I Joe from Colesseum that the CD is actually mastered from a lossy source, equivalent to about 192 kbps MP3!! Did anyone else get the CD, can you confirm it too?

If this is true, maybe this was some sort of "artistic decision that's somehow in keeping with the whole idea behind the movie"? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    biggrin

Anyway, I'm surprised such a mistake happened with Varese, whose releases are usually top notch.
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. DemonStar wrote

Not only do the publishers release lossy downloadable music now, they make sure their physical disc counterparts are of the same quality. slant
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    DemonStar wrote

rolleyes

Where did you read that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    rolleyes

Where did you read that?

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Silvestri_Ho … &st=90

Near the end of the page.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Regardless of what those audiophiles (one being our own Sylvos!) say, it sounds fine. They're the kind of people who you can say "I'm putting on a 192kbps MP3" when you actually put in a CD and they'll still be convinced they can hear their precious missing bits.

Discussions on quality drive me mad now. It either sounds good or it doesn't. Keep it at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    There are some of us who do care about the quality, and it's for them that I posted it here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote

rolleyes

Where did you read that?

Some one leaked out a lossless version of the score. But once the files were analyzed they turned out to be "fake" lossless.

TRACK 1 Analysis

TRACK 3 Analysis

For more info on the differences between lossless and compressed audio (with pictures wink ) check this out

Who knows what the original source of the files were. Were they ripped directly from the disc or re-encoded from a lossy source? Here what I say. Wait for your copy to arrive, rip it, do the analysis (if you have the audio software to do so) and make your own conclusions.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! smile
    • CommentAuthorBigMacGyver
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote

rolleyes

Where did you read that?

Some one leaked out a lossless version of the score. But once the files were analyzed they turned out to be "fake" lossless.

TRACK 1 Analysis

TRACK 3 Analysis

For more info on the differences between lossless and compressed audio (with pictures wink ) check this out

Who knows what the original source of the files were. Were they ripped directly from the disc or re-encoded from a lossy source? Here what I say. Wait for your copy to arrive, rip it, do the analysis (if you have the audio software to do so) and make your own conclusions.

-Erik-

Hey Erik,

the thing is, the lossless files most likely come from the CD but since that one IS mastered from a lossy source, the spectral analysis shows an image equivalent of lossy mp3!

Here is a spectral view of tracks 1 and 13 that i have made from my actual CD! They show the same!

track 01

track 13

Its basically identical to the spectral views that other people have made from their CDs! Its definitely a lossy master!
  5. They recorded the CD from a lossy source? Who the hell records orchestra on mp3?
    • CommentAuthorBigMacGyver
    They recorded the CD from a lossy source? Who the hell records orchestra on mp3?

They most likely recorded everything in lossless! The mixup must have happened at the label. They probably made a downmix to mp3 of the master to have it approved and somehow this mp3 downmix ended up in the pressing plant. That's the only logical explanation i can come up with.

Colosseum records already replied that several customers have complained and that they are checking back with their own mastering devision and with varese. But colosseum only uses what they get from the US company, so varese must do something.

Email them! Even if you did not buy the CD because of these issues!

And by the way, the itunes files are affected by the same problem! The quality of the CD material is below itunes standart as is the itunes version itself!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Too much fuss over nothing, imo. And even if you do have software to perform spectral phasmatograph such as Adobe Audition 3, you'll most likely have lots of difficulties telling what is what, if the mp3 is 192kbps and up. Relax, listen to the score and decide whether you like it or not, it's what i say, either way you don't have a way to tell how was it built exactly and what the final master any label presses on the CD is anyway.
  6. Well, the score's not too great, Alan Silvestri just officially filed his application to Remote Control, I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Too much fuss over nothing, imo. And even if you do have software to perform spectral phasmatograph such as Adobe Audition 3, you'll most likely have lots of difficulties telling what is what, if the mp3 is 192kbps and up. Relax, listen to the score and decide whether you like it or not, it's what i say, either way you don't have a way to tell how was it built exactly and what the final master any label presses on the CD is anyway.

Whoa whoa whoa! Are you telling me, especially someone who works with sound on a regular basis, that you are condoning the release of less than stellar quality products... especially a CD mastered from MP3's or a lossy source? It's not so much about whether or not you can tell if it's from a lossy source, it's the practice of releasing CD's (which are supposed to have the best sound quality possible) that aren't up to standards. If you want a lossy product download from iTunes but if you want an uncompressed product with the best sound possible buy the CD. We are suppose to be moving forward with technology, not backwards. I mean, you would be Ok purchasing a Blu-Ray movie only to find out that it wasn't true HD and was mastered from a second generation DVD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No matter what they do with the mastering, they will never make this sound like anything other than a poor score.
  7. My sentiments exactly, James. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    No matter what they do with the mastering, they will never make this sound like anything other than a poor score.

It's not terrible. It's turn-off-your-brain Silvestri fun. Tomb Raider meets Van Helsing meets Long Kiss Goodnight meets Eraser. Nothing special... Silvestri phoned this one in... but it's fun to listen to. I'd rather sit through this nonsense than let's say a blockbuster that was scored by guy who's last name begins with a J and ends with ablonsky.

-Erik-
  8. You forgot to add The Rock to the mix. It's an RC score which got slightly better orchestrations, that's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

It's not terrible. It's turn-off-your-brain Silvestri fun. Tomb Raider meets Van Helsing meets Long Kiss Goodnight meets Eraser. Nothing special... Silvestri phoned this one in... but it's fun to listen to. I'd rather sit through this nonsense than let's say a blockbuster that was scored by guy who's last name begins with a J and ends with ablonsky.

-Erik-

So would I, but it's a far closer call than I would have hoped. I don't think it's as good as any of those other Silvestri scores you mention. It's SO unfocused - and Silvestri is one of the composers who can actually write a good theme, so it's very disappointing he didn't do here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    So would I, but it's a far closer call than I would have hoped. I don't think it's as good as any of those other Silvestri scores you mention. It's SO unfocused - and Silvestri is one of the composers who can actually write a good theme, so it's very disappointing he didn't do here.

Agreed! I don't think it's a as good as those score either. It's just a way for me to explain how it sounds and for those that enjoyed those scores might get a slight kick out of this one. I too was very disappointed at the lack of a solid theme! And my God it's a long album

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Whoa whoa whoa! Are you telling me, especially someone who works with sound on a regular basis, that you are condoning the release of less than stellar quality products... especially a CD mastered from MP3's or a lossy source? It's not so much about whether or not you can tell if it's from a lossy source, it's the practice of releasing CD's (which are supposed to have the best sound quality possible) that aren't up to standards. If you want a lossy product download from iTunes but if you want an uncompressed product with the best sound possible buy the CD. We are suppose to be moving forward with technology, not backwards. I mean, you would be Ok purchasing a Blu-Ray movie only to find out that it wasn't true HD and was mastered from a second generation DVD.

-Erik-

No, I am no condoning such practices. But as a sound engineer, i tell you there's no way you can really know if the master was a proper .wav or a very good mp3 or any other high bitrate lossy compression format; the fact that this case either slipped under the radar or was officially announced (didn't exactly have the time to look it up) was a mishap that will be forgotten but cannot override the fact that there's not a real way to know when buying a CD what has preceded 'till you, the consumer, got that CD in their hands; what remains is trust in the professionalism of the people involved behind it.
  9. I guess General Hawk tries to be a good theme, but stops halfway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, I am no condoning such practices. But as a sound engineer, i tell you there's no way you can really know if the master was a proper .wav or a very good mp3 or any other high bitrate lossy compression format; the fact that this case either slipped under the radar or was official announced (didn't exactly have the time to look it up) was a mishap that will be forgotten but cannot override the fact that there's not a real way to know when buying a CD what has preceded 'till you, the consumer, got that CD in their hands; what remains is trust in the professionalism of the people involved behind it.

Still don't think this is something that can easily be fluffed off. I hope people call up Varese, show their displeasure and that Varese corrects the problem. I mean, when a digital click was found in track 4 of Intrada's The Tale of Despereaux Intrada told everyone who bought a copy to send it back and a new copy would be sent without the "click."

-Erik-