• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    BigMacGyver wrote
    Keep in mind that this comes from someone who could not identify a strong main theme in silvestris The Wild wink

I was clearly mistaken if I said that, because Silvestri plagiarised John Williams's "March of the Villains" for his main theme in that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    i mean what did we expect? I know we are all excited whenever one of the greats scores a movie (i.e. the left-overs from the Bates' and the Djawadis') but still, G.I.JOE - the movie, looks and feels UTTER CRAP!

Cough... cough! Judge Dredd anyone!

BTW, most composers can over come a shitty movie and usually create works that the film doesn't deserve; ie - Broughton Lost in Space, Goldsmith did it numerous times. I don't buy this "the film's crap so the score has to be crap, too."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    i mean what did we expect? I know we are all excited whenever one of the greats scores a movie (i.e. the left-overs from the Bates' and the Djawadis') but still, G.I.JOE - the movie, looks and feels UTTER CRAP!

BTW, most composers can over come a shitty movie and usually create works that the film doesn't deserve; ie - Broughton Lost in Space, Goldsmith did it numerous times. I don't buy this "the film's crap so the score has to be crap, too."

-Erik-

Neither do I. However, I don't think it's a very common opinion, at least not among seasoned film score fans like ourselves. We know better.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

In the cases of Judge Dredd and Lost in Space, the score worked FOR the movies, to the extent I can enjoy them every single time. I have the DVDs and I watch them quite frequently. They're cheesy as hell, but it's definitely charming brainless entertainment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Indeed, i am not saying it's HAS to be crap, but certainly not everyone can everytime deliver a great score out of a crappy film, if the latter doesn't help at all. Composing is also a psychological process, his mood and life when he was doing JUDGE DREDD (and other crap) could very easily be different than today; same goes for all composers.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BigMacGyver wrote
    And the webmaster of stephensommers.com already confirmed to me that silvestri and sommers are good friends and that alan will definitely score sommers next movie (though he did not want to elaborate yet what it will be, i am guessing its tarzan).

Silvestri scoring a Tarzan film? Now THAT will be even more interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    Not when Stephen Bummers directs it.
    Kazoo
  2. Southall wrote
    BigMacGyver wrote
    Keep in mind that this comes from someone who could not identify a strong main theme in silvestris The Wild wink

I was clearly mistaken if I said that, because Silvestri plagiarised John Williams's "March of the Villains" for his main theme in that score.

With what you said you have confirmed that you still did not found that main theme wink

I think your attitude towards silvestri is rather hostile if i am going by your reviews and opinions about his scores. Not that this is meant in a critical way. Just saying what i noticed and it surprises me a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BigMacGyver wrote
    Southall wrote
    BigMacGyver wrote

With what you said you have confirmed that you still did not found that main theme wink

I think your attitude towards silvestri is rather hostile if i am going by your reviews and opinions about his scores. Not that this is meant in a critical way. Just saying what i noticed and it surprises me a bit.

His style is often just not my cup of tea, but I do enjoy some of his scores (and he's better than anyone else I can think of at orchestral comedy scores - Mouse Hunt, etc). My criticism of GI Joe has really been in the context of his own career though - I think it's weaker than virtually anything else I've heard from him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Not when Stephen Bummers directs it.

Hehe...he said Bummers biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Heh heh heheheh heheh heh heheheheheheh heheh heheheheh
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    I miss those two.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    I miss those two.

Me too! That show made for some great late night viewing and the movie was a riot!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Martijn wrote
    Heh heh heheheh heheh heh heheheheheheh heheh heheheheh

punk

One of the milestones in television. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. The webmaster of alan-silvestri.com has informed Silvestri about the sound problems. The composer is now looking into it. He was one of the album producers, so he might still have some things to say about these problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BigMacGyver wrote
    The webmaster of alan-silvestri.com has informed Silvestri about the sound problems. The composer is now looking into it. He was one of the album producers, so he might still have some things to say about these problems.

I am very interested to see how this turns out. I want to buy the score, but I don't want to go through the trouble of buying the current album if it gets remastered shortly afterwards...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    BigMacGyver wrote
    The webmaster of alan-silvestri.com has informed Silvestri about the sound problems. The composer is now looking into it. He was one of the album producers, so he might still have some things to say about these problems.

I am very interested to see how this turns out. I want to buy the score, but I don't want to go through the trouble of buying the current album if it gets remastered shortly afterwards...

I would seriously hope that defective copies would be replaced, like Intrada did with Despereux.
  5. Was it a similar situation? What happened with the Ross score?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Was it a similar situation? What happened with the Ross score?

Vaguely similar, in that it was a mastering error. I don't own the Ross score so can't remember the precise details, but there was a problem with one of the tracks; Intrada remastered it and replaced all the defective copies.
  6. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Was it a similar situation? What happened with the Ross score?

Vaguely similar, in that it was a mastering error. I don't own the Ross score so can't remember the precise details, but there was a problem with one of the tracks; Intrada remastered it and replaced all the defective copies.

Can anyone remember the problem that SAE had with one of the Captain From Castile? I have the spare disc lying around somewhere from when SAE sent out a replacement.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. BigMacGyver wrote

oh, that will be Emile
    good lad smile

let's see what it will bring forth
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Colosseum now confessed the master is not the correct one:

thanks so much for your inquiry.

Yes, you're absolutely right, unfortunately the original master seems to be the wrong one. We did contact our US partner Varese and are awaiting their reply very soon.
    We'll contact you very soon again to solve this issue.

Sorry for causing this inconvenience,
    best regards

Anna Miller

Funny that they apparently havent received a reply from varese either. Says a lot about that company i guess...
  9. weird

anyway, I'm curious to see what will happen now
  10. Take it or leave it, but ...

The review of G.I.Joe is now online

Let the bashing begin, oops sorry that already happened weeks ago
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    It's nice that you find enjoyment in there smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The last few tracks are fun, but when I listen to scores I want them to tell a story, which unfortunately the boring first half doesn't do. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    Come on guys, it's Silvestri we're talking about; arguably, he's one of the last few greats, whatever the term implies. That mediocre electronics' jam coming from anyone else might have been a "decent score with some enjoyable parts" but if that's what we're going to get from composers of his magnitude (and background) then we aren't in for too many good things i am afraid.
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    Come on guys, it's Silvestri we're talking about; arguably, he's one of the last few greats, whatever the term implies. That mediocre electronics' jam coming from anyone else might have been a "decent score with some enjoyable parts" but if that's what we're going to get from composers of his magnitude (and background) then we aren't in for too many good things i am afraid.

you're absolutely correct, but it is also because it is Silvestri I'm enjoying the mediocrity, the mediocrity with another composer and you get Zanelli, Djawadi stuff wink

and like Anthony says, the last cues are fun
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. It's a matter of where does everyone stand, i personally prefer to play BEOWULF and VAN HELSING and blast the windows and neighbors' ears out instead wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Interesting that you consider him so highly. Do others share this opinion? As I've said a few times, I've always found him to be fairly middle-ranking, with his ability to write great themes elevating him above that from time to time. But I can't think of a single full score he's written which even approaches what I would consider "great". Don't get me wrong - I much prefer his kind of generic to the Djawadi/Jablosnky style of generic - but there aren't many of his scores where I feel I would be missing anything of any real value by just sticking the main theme onto a compilation.