• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nautilus wrote
    I could care less about the movie. Zemeckis was one of my favourite filmakers, but with this obsession for do this kind of films he is becomming annoying.

Zemeckis is one of the few directors that keeps pushing the technology forward, just as James Cameron. Even though I kind prefer his live action stuff such as Contact, BTTF, and Forrest Gump, his animated features have pushed the boundaries of motion capture, followed later by performance capture and with his latest, A Christmas Carol, he really seems to have pushed that technology to its limits. And for that I'm always excited to see what the magicians of Hollywood (Zemeckis and Cameron mostly) can come up with next.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    I've read numerous interviews with John Lasseter recently (not too sure why he's doing the rounds) and in every single one, he has said "it's not the medium that matters - you have to have a good story else you're dead." I hope Zemeckis reads one of those interviews so he can stop churning out the soulless, pointless crap he's being doing for the last few years and go back to being the mediocre, occasionally interesting filmmaker he had been previously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DreamTheater wrote
    he really seems to have pushed that technology to its limits

Unfortunately, at least for me, these limits are very noticeable. I don't think Beowulf or Polar Express is what I want to see in the future. It's not real. Puts me off. The eyes, the movements, the characters ... the story.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    With you 100% Bregt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've yet to work out why I would want to see a perfect computer-capture of Tom Hanks in preference to just seeing Tom Hanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I hope the movie and score give me all I'm expecting to find, so I don't want to be dissapointed on this one. Silvestri remains a top notch composer and I hate to see him doing something uninspiring

Well, he did just that in G.I.Joe. A terribly cheap-sounding and generic score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I hope the movie and score give me all I'm expecting to find, so I don't want to be dissapointed on this one. Silvestri remains a top notch composer and I hate to see him doing something uninspiring

Well, he did just that in G.I.Joe.

And, sorry to say, almost everything else he's done in the last few years. It's as if he's given up trying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In this cgi-crap thingy, the new upcoming Jim Carrey A CHRISTMAS CAROL movie - whilst with great premise, it looks crap just because of that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...plus it's just a remake of a story ( albeit a great one ) done zillions of times!

Silvestri does seem as if he's been running on empty for quite some time, much of it enjoyable but samey nevertheless.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited
    Indeed. His output is impressively mediocre lately, except for POLAR EXPRESS and BEOWULF.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't like Polar Express, Beowulf on the other hand is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't think either was anything great. Most of his stuff lately has been OK, but he hasn't gone beyond "OK" for many years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can forgive him for anything for the excellent scores he's provided in his career. Still, I wouldn't mind another one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Even Clan of The Cave Bear? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nobody disses the Cave Bear! angry

Yeah, it's pretty bad.
  2. Or Delta Force? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Or Delta Force? lol

That's a classic! In all seriousness the score contains an awesome theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Or Delta Force? lol

That's a classic! In all seriousness the score contains an awesome theme!

-Erik-

It does! In that cheesy 80s way, it's great.
  3. Bregt wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Unfortunately, at least for me, these limits are very noticeable. I don't think Beowulf or Polar Express is what I want to see in the future. It's not real. Puts me off. The eyes, the movements, the characters ... the story.

I'm used to watching / interacting with things that are not real... I'm a gamer. Unlike you I guess. Maybe that's why I'm having no problems enjoying these films for what they are, even though animation isn't always realistic, I think how they approach realism is very intruiging from my point of view. The leap from Polar Express to Beowulf is very noticeable and I applaud Zemeckis for doing so, I love both movies from the storytelling perspective as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm used to watching / interacting with things that are not real... I'm a gamer. Unlike you I guess. Maybe that's why I'm having no problems enjoying these films for what they are, even though animation isn't always realistic, I think how they approach realism is very intruiging from my point of view. The leap from Polar Express to Beowulf is very noticeable and I applaud Zemeckis for doing so, I love both movies from the storytelling perspective as well.

Thing is that not everyone is a gamer, and even many gamers (like me, for instance) want to separate the means and see proper games vs proper movies, not a soup of little everything which seems to be the problem of many multimedia / arty mediums in our days: many surface-touched elements that have no depth and don't glue with one another.

When i play a game i want to play a proper game that doesn't consume space and energy into building countless hours of useless movie-like trailers and crap instead of actual game-play and game-time and when i go to watch a movie i want a proper cinematic experience, not observe an older man's pathetic attempts to inject his cinematic work with trendy elements of his beloved ps3 game he just yesterday discovered, in an attempt to attract more teenagers to the theaters, i.e. more money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    D, from what I read in that last paragraph, you must hate the Metal Gear Solid series with a passion, right?

Zemeckis has always done good in my book, before and now... I'm just in love with his visual style and his many nifty camera setups. His movies have always struck a sentimental chord in me. I'll never ever tire of films such as the BTTF trilogy, Contact, Cast Away, Forrest Gump and I just remembered I really really want to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit again. Such a landmark in live-action blended with animation. And quite a fun flick as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Not their greatest fan, MGS that's it, no smile Give me need for speed and generally arcade over it any time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I fucking hate the MGS games (well, partly). The game play itself is brilliant, don't get me wrong. But the convoluted plots and silly dialogue and voice acting pisses me off no end. It takes so long to get into the game/s!

I still prefer the one on the PS1, but I suppose it has a lot of nostalgic value for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I fucking hate the MGS games (well, partly). The game play itself is brilliant, don't get me wrong. But the convoluted plots and silly dialogue and voice acting pisses me off no end. It takes so long to get into the game/s!

I still prefer the one on the PS1, but I suppose it has a lot of nostalgic value for me.

My point exactly smile
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, he did just that in G.I.Joe. A terribly cheap-sounding and generic score.

and that's why I'm hoping A Christmas Carol will be different
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Silvestri ALWAYS delivers for Zemeckis... even though I still think Beowulf is one of his lesser efforts for the Back To The Future director, it still has it's shinning moments and actually really fit the film like a glove. It's mean, masculine, full of energy and yet at times extremely hypnotic and intimate. "The Seduction" is one of Silvestri's finest cues. And if The Christmas Carol comes anywhere close to being as good as The Polar Express then I think we are all in for a real treat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. The Polar Express is simply wonderful, the score should have been released in its complete unaltered form.

Screw the official soundtrack album. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Silvestri ALWAYS delivers for Zemeckis... even though I still think Beowulf is one of his lesser efforts for the Back To The Future director, it still has it's shinning moments and actually really fit the film like a glove. It's mean, masculine, full of energy and yet at times extremely hypnotic and intimate. "The Seduction" is one of Silvestri's finest cues. And if The Christmas Carol comes anywhere close to being as good as The Polar Express then I think we are all in for a real treat!

-Erik-

Yeap, hopes are high!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

indeed, so why are we actually doubting?
    It will be as cheerful as The Polar Express punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Since I cannot download A Christmas Carol in Hungary I'd like to ask the members here who already have it if one of you could send it as a file to my e-mail address? I'd be really grateful!
    My e-mail is: keky@freemail.hu.