• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    Thomas Glorieux, I support your four star rating.

While it's a personal favorite of mine, and I would tend to thinmk it one of his best (though not upper best), and nicely orchestrated, it's simply not worthy of five stars. 4.5 maybe.

smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2011
    Went to the "Hollywood in Vienna" concert, where Alan Silvestri was awarded the Max Steiner Award. They played a nice selection of Silvestri's work, including a song from The Polar Express and a suite from Back to the Future - both conducted by Alan Silvestri himself. All in all a very good concert, worth making the trip to Austria to see...

The show was televised by ORF2, and can be seen here (sadly Austrians only, I think - anyone know of another link that works outside of Austria?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011
    Artworks wrote
    Went to the "Hollywood in Vienna" concert, where Alan Silvestri was awarded the Max Steiner Award. They played a nice selection of Silvestri's work, including a song from The Polar Express and a suite from Back to the Future - both conducted by Alan Silvestri himself. All in all a very good concert, worth making the trip to Austria to see...

The show was televised by ORF2, and can be seen here (sadly Austrians only, I think - anyone know of another link that works outside of Austria?)

A friend of mine was at that concert too. I'm totally envious....seeing Silvestri live, playing the favourites from my childhood must surely have been something!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Somebody at FSM is saying Silvestri's wife said he got the job, so ... no David Newman. :-(
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Somebody at FSM is saying Silvestri's wife said he got the job, so ... no David Newman. :-(

I thought you said that Silvestri's wife got the gig there for a moment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New release for Gerrard...is anyone following yet? How fate brings it eh? wink

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2011/ … 1-mp3.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Thor wrote
    A friend of mine was at that concert too. I'm totally envious....seeing Silvestri live, playing the favourites from my childhood must surely have been something!

It was. Sure, I would have loved them to play the Predator theme as well, but I guess you can't have it all smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Somebody at FSM is saying Silvestri's wife said he got the job, so ... no David Newman. :-(

I thought you said that Silvestri's wife got the gig there for a moment.

Now that would be interesting.

I don't know if it's confirmed about Silvestri but he certainly isn't the composer who I was told was scoring this (and he is an even bigger fan favourite than Silvestri).
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    New release for Gerrard...is anyone following yet? How fate brings it eh? wink

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2011/ … 1-mp3.html

I didn't like the clips for this one much:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oranges-Sunshin … amp;sr=1-2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/11/04 … -avengers/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. boooo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    I can only hope he delivers something better than Captain America but I won't hold my breath.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    Such a fantastic opportunity to create the mother of all superhero scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely! Themes, character motifs, the lot. I expect to be disappointed but hope otherwise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Well, at least, Silvestri could use the Captain America theme again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    yay!
  7. Review of Young Guns II
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah. It was a great oportunity when he was hired to score Captain America XP
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, we have a completely different film here, a completely different director and we already have some established themes for each character! This could prove to be interesting!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You certainly can't say Joss Whedon doesn't understand how to use music effectively. The real question is, what kind of film is he intending to make here, and will he feel like a big bold score is appropriate?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    You certainly can't say Joss Whedon doesn't understand how to use music effectively. The real question is, what kind of film is he intending to make here, and will he feel like a big bold score is appropriate?

it's earth's mightiest heroes brought together to fight a foe no one hero could defeat...

IT BETTER FOOKIN' BE!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    I don't think you hire someone like Silvestri and not have a big bold score. Even though I'm not a fan of Silvestri's Captain America score, it is the most traditional of the bunch (Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk) and I'd bet my left nut that Whedon wants more of the same style!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    "butch" 10,000 kudos points for appropriate Freudian slip to Erik. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Whoops!

-Erik-
  8. Back to the Future stage musical?
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/02/02 … roduction/

"I need more jiggawatts!"
    "He needs more jigawatts!"
    "Jiggawatts, for the doooooccc'sss ... machine!"
    • CommentAuthorShawnS
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    First soundclips of The Avengers

The Avengers
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    ShawnS wrote
    First soundclips of The Avengers

The Avengers

Meh. Seems like more of the blood and thunder bombast he's been doing over the last 10 years.

PLEASE, Alan, I beg of you....do an intimate drama already!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The soundclips are too bitty to get a handle on but if it is going the way Thor suggests then I agree with him.
  9. I'm not gonna listen to the clips, but I hope it's as good as Captain America (considering the character's in it, I can't imagine anything otherwise)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not gonna listen to the clips, but I hope it's as good as Captain America (considering the character's in it, I can't imagine anything otherwise)

I disliked that score too, except for the iTunes bonus version of the march. That was good.

We already discussed this up there somewhere, but I don't think Silvestri has written a decent score since THE MUMMY RETURNS in 2001 -- exceptions being the main theme from NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM and bits of THE POLAR EXPRESS. I also think TMR was the last decent FILM he worked on.
    I am extremely serious.