• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not gonna listen to the clips, but I hope it's as good as Captain America (considering the character's in it, I can't imagine anything otherwise)

I disliked that score too, except for the iTunes bonus version of the march. That was good.

Agreed!

Thor wrote
    We already discussed this up there somewhere, but I don't think Silvestri has written a decent score since THE MUMMY RETURNS in 2001 -- exceptions being the main theme from NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM and bits of THE POLAR EXPRESS. I also think TMR was the last decent FILM he worked on.

Bits? The Polar Express is brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I think Beowulf is his last score that did anything to me. Those themes are incredibly infectious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bits? The Polar Express is brilliant!

-Erik-

It's a bit sugary overall. Then again, HOME ALONE is one of my fav soundtracks, and that has some of that vibe too. There's a track on POLAR EXPRESS that I can't hear without thinking about a certain Roger Hodgson song. Just a coincidence, but kinda it has that connection to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I'm the guy who once famously
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you drunk, James?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not gonna listen to the clips, but I hope it's as good as Captain America (considering the character's in it, I can't imagine anything otherwise)

C'mon man, I think we can both hope for the best and that it will be MUCH better than Captain America, the main problem with that score is there's nothing that sticks except for the march they didn't even include on the album. What kind of a FUBAR decision was that. I give it a 3.5 score with the march, without it it's a 3 star score.

The Polar Express is a great Silvestri score, emotional and action-packed, full of charm and personality.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Well, I'm the guy who once famously

...gurned at Cheryl Cole?

...stared dumb struck at the awesomeness of Simon Cowell's waxen visage?

...comatised in front of Philip Glass while he played a looped motif?

...told Sean Connery his Roger Moore impression contained too many shhhshhhshh's?

...declared undying love for Ann Widecombes dance moves?

.......posted that he played Jerry Goldsmith's Tora! Tora! Tora! on the MT board????
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    I think Beowulf is his last score that did anything to me. Those themes are incredibly infectious.

Agree with Bob cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I've liked some of the cues he has written, but I have never heard a Silvestri score that I would say I liked as a whole. I just don't like his style. I have no hope whatever for the Avenger's score.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

C'mon man, I think we can both hope for the best and that it will be MUCH better than Captain America, the main problem with that score is there's nothing that sticks except for the march they didn't even include on the album. What kind of a FUBAR decision was that. I give it a 3.5 score with the march, without it it's a 3 star score.

The Polar Express is a great Silvestri score, emotional and action-packed, full of charm and personality.

I was happy with Captain America. Not excited but happy. I'm sure I'll like it even more once we see the film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    Meh. Seems like more of the blood and thunder bombast he's been doing over the last 10 years.

PLEASE, Alan, I beg of you....do an intimate drama already!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...told Sean Connery his Roger Moore impression contained too many shhhshhhshh's?

applause
    Excellent!

.......posted that he played Jerry Goldsmith's Tora! Tora! Tora! on the MT board????

fireworks bounce fireworks punk
    Excelsior!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Hello, it seems everybody missed this announcement?

Sounds good though the summary love

THE AVENGERS (SCORE)
    Due 05/01/12 (Out of Stock)

Label: Hollywood / Intrada D001759402
    Date: 2012
    Tracks: 19
    Time = 76:17

For the 2012 Marvel Studios release The Avengers, composer Alan Silvestri returns to duty following his Captain America (2011) score. Building on his style established for the earlier film, Silvestri broadens beyond just one super hero to an entire team. This large-scale special-effects extravaganza called for music that is equally large and dynamic, armed with themes, action and thrills. It features 80 musicians and in the words of Joss Whedon, "Alan has provided a score that is so specific, so narrative-based, but still has the undeniable power and fluidity of those more diffuse accompaniments. You can hear the themes, the moments...and just bathe in the greatness." While Silvestri's theme for Captain America returns, he also introduces a host of others, including one of the score's highlights -- the theme for Black Widow -- introduced as a lonely, plucked, theme with an eastern European flavor to define this character. For this release, Alan Silvestri and David Bifano produced an album featuring 75 minutes of score on this exclusive CD release from Hollywood Records and Intrada.

01. Arrival 2:59
    02. Doors Open from Both Sides 3:29
    03. Tunnel Chase 4:47
    04. Interrogation 2:38
    05. Stark Goes Green 4:46
    06. Helicarrier 2:09
    07. Subjugation 3:40
    08. Don’t Ta ke My Stuff 5:06
    09. Red Ledger 5:10
    10. Assault 4:25
    11. They Called It 2:41
    12. Performance Issues 4:56
    13. Seeing, Not Believing 4:25
    14. Assemble 5:21
    15. I Got a ride 4:00
    16. A Little Help 3:49
    17. One Way Trip 5:50
    18. A Promise 3:34
    19. The Avengers 2:03
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Cool! With the MP3 album only £7.49 at Amazon, I guess I'll get that (probably about a third of the price of the CD once postage is considered) but it's nice that those who love physical albums will have a chance to buy one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Cool! With the MP3 album only £7.49 at Amazon, I guess I'll get that (probably about a third of the price of the CD once postage is considered) but it's nice that those who love physical albums will have a chance to buy one.

James - Ask for a promo.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    They won't send them to me. I tried before.

And I just noticed... $19.99 for a regular CD release? It's no wonder the things are going to be dead soon. That's ridiculous. Varese's albums retail for cheaper than that and they have distribution costs, they're not straight-to-consumer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Really? How about digitally?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Really? How about digitally?

-Erik-

I didn't ask. I got the distinct impression they don't like me very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Really? Ummm...

-Erik-
  5. Southall wrote

I notice that there is one track less on the mp3 album - and there is at least one track that seems to have different length when comparing the CD and digital release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012 edited
    Hear about 20 minutes of Silvestri's score to The Avengers at http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54947

EDIT - And most of it is excruciatingly BORING!

-Erik-
  6. Welcome to the nuSilvestri.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. If 20 minutes is excruciatingly boring, I wonder if 75 minutes will be enough to have fallen into deep sleep, including a dream about Silvestri writing a masterpiece again.

I'll have a listen to expanded Eraser whenever that one arrives, which is anything but boring. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited
    To be honest, I always find score snippets on such b-roll video boring, which has often got to do with the low sound mixing, editing, or them picking subdued music as to not get the attention off the video themselves.

To have something positive on The Avengers on the other hand, I'm really enjoying the main theme, which someone got off a world premiere event video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFjZ-1kzJY

There are background sounds from the event, but you get a very good idea of the main Avengers theme anyway. So that, with the fact that the Captain America theme returns, are getting me hopeful.
    • CommentAuthorworkaluk
    There are some composers who got better with age (Williams, Horner, Zimmer), Silvestri it's not one of those cases, his scores have been getting worse and worse, i mean, not even his themes, which was one of his strongest identities, have been with the same quality they had back in the 90's, early 2000's. My guess is that he depended to much of Zemeckis pictures, and has failed to garnish his own style, thus he's previous scores have been a mess of electronic pounding and all over the place, i don't hold any hope for The Avengers, Silvestri from the 90's would be perfect, Silvestri from the 2000's is a wrong choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    workaluk wrote
    not even his themes, which was one of his strongest identities, have been with the same quality they had back in the 90's, early 2000's.

False. It's just the type of movies he is working on. When he asked to write strong themes, i.e. Beowulf or Christmas Carol, he still knocks them out of the park.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'll have a listen to expanded Eraser whenever that one arrives, which is anything but boring. cool

The expanded treatment doesn't help that score.

-Erik-
  8. Scribe wrote
    workaluk wrote
    not even his themes, which was one of his strongest identities, have been with the same quality they had back in the 90's, early 2000's.

False. It's just the type of movies he is working on. When he asked to write strong themes, i.e. Beowulf or Christmas Carol, he still knocks them out of the park.

I blame the overall Hollywood approach of not wanting big themes anymore. They just want it more subdued and low-key, Desplat-style, which I definitely do not prefer. I've been finding myself alienating more and more from the current crop of composers and their work and just listening to the older stuff.

Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The expanded treatment doesn't help that score.

-Erik-

How so? When I listened to it, I just had a ball with that score, the expanded just gave me more of the kick-ass 90s Silvestri sound. Captain America is one that could help with some serious trimming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I found that there is a lot of repetition. The original OST was very well produced and I even prefer the sound on the original release. It was a tight 43 minute listen which was all meat and no filler! But it is a far, FAR better score than Captain America!

-Erik-