• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

Silvestri knows what a good film is. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Antineutrino wrote
    Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

How demoralising! Having to score all that complete and utter bilge.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hurray
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

Is he really that same composer we (well you) heard in the 80's?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

I sometimes wonder?

Going back to early 80's I thought he was crap until I heard Back To The Future.

His early synth stuff was nasty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm mostly looking forward to G.I. Joe! I already have a sort of mental idea how it's gonna sound like, hehe lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

I sometimes wonder?

Going back to early 80's I thought he was crap until I heard Back To The Future.

Are you kidding? DELTA FORCE, AMERICAN ANTHEM, FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, CLAN OF THE CAVEBEAR...that's some amazing synth work right there!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Synths + Amazing + same sentence = shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

John Powell? David Arnold? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Quiet..I was..testing you.. wink

Seriously though, synth work that's older than 10 years pretty much sucks. It just reminds me of the 70s/80s disco music. crazy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Seriously though, synth work that's older than 10 years pretty much sucks. It just reminds me of the 70s/80s disco music. crazy biggrin

Eh....sorry, Mac, but if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today. It's OK if you don't like older synth music yourself, but you should show some respect for the synth pioneers that actually made the sound of your own favourite artists possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Eh....sorry, Mac, but if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today. It's OK if you don't like older synth music yourself, but you should show some respect for the synth pioneers that actually made the sound of your own favourite artists possible.

Thor gives out "a wording up" cool

Quite right too.

You must also add Giorgio Moroder to that list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Night At The Museum 2
    GI Joe
    Van Helsing
    The Mummy Returns
    Tomb Raider 2

I sometimes wonder?

Are you kidding? DELTA FORCE, AMERICAN ANTHEM, FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, CLAN OF THE CAVEBEAR...that's some amazing synth work right there!

Not my cuppa at all.

'Navigator' is okay'ish I suppose.

CLAN OF THE CAVEBEAR has an extremely innappropriate score IMO, but then the movie was pants anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Not my cuppa at all.

CLAN OF THE CAVEBEAR has an extremely innappropriate score IMO, but then the movie was pants anyway.

Yeah, I agree that the movie is pretty bad, but I actually think Silvestri's score worked quite well. Gave a stark and "sober" grittiness to the bleak surroundings and worked in much the same way as Horner's score for THE NAME OF THE ROSE. I've always been a firm believer in unorthodox music for period epics, because when it comes down to it, even the neoclassical, romantic Korngold approach is equally "out-of-place" in a period epic as synth music. It's just that we have gotten used to it due to convention and it somehow feels more appropriate. This is one of the reasons why I think LADYHAWKE is a pretty good score.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

... if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today...

Now there's an alternate universe I could get to like. biggrin

It also helps that the mass audience is a pack of passive sods who like whatever film-makers tell them to like. But then this is true of any fashion in film scoring, I suppose. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Eh....sorry, Mac, but if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today.

Oh, jeez. Drool, drool. Thor, you've just named a place I want to visit at any cost.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Hey... Powell is really good and so is Zimmer when he puts his mind to it.
  3. The thing is that with notable exceptions (Spanglish, Batman Begins AS A FILM SCORE, PotC 3, Da Vinci Code ONLY AS ALBUM), Zimmer didn't put much mind recently. Saying that as a fan.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with Pawel, extra emphasizing on "recently".

And as for Powell, Jumper was VERY mediocre whereas Horton is nothing new.

Something tells me KUNG FU PANDA won't be an exception either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not my cuppa at all.

Yeah, I agree that the movie is pretty bad, but I actually think Silvestri's score worked quite well. Gave a stark and "sober" grittiness to the bleak surroundings and worked in much the same way as Horner's score for THE NAME OF THE ROSE. I've always been a firm believer in unorthodox music for period epics, because when it comes down to it, even the neoclassical, romantic Korngold approach is equally "out-of-place" in a period epic as synth music. It's just that we have gotten used to it due to convention and it somehow feels more appropriate. This is one of the reasons why I think LADYHAWKE is a pretty good score.

I do agree with you Thor, there are examples and Horner's Name Of THe Rose is a good one, he nails a particular sound and feel perfectly but it's also helped a lot by the Gregorian Chant tracks.

As for 'Cavebear' I'll just leave it that I prefer my prehistoric scores more Nasibene and Sarde.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Eh....sorry, Mac, but if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today.

Oh, jeez. Drool, drool. Thor, you've just named a place I want to visit at any cost.

Are you sure? It would also be a place without any electronica artists, experimental avant garde concert music, electropop or many great pop artists.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    What is Silvestri doing these days? He doesn't get as many scoring assignments as he used to. I hope any recent problems have not affected him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course Horton is nothing "new" ! Because it's 100% of the Powell style we all love.
    If Powell goes for Gustavo's style on Horton, then that's something "new". smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    elenewton wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course Horton is nothing "new" ! Because it's 100% of the Powell style we all love.
    If Powell goes for Gustavo's style on Horton, then that's something "new". smile

Well said. It didn't need to be "new", it's a typical 'animated' Powell score and that's fine by me... well, perhaps a little crazier than usual! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If only you guys applied the same rule to all composers as you do to Powell, life would be so peaceful!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Do you think Powell's sound has gotten stale, Southall? I can take his ''usual'' for a while longer, but obviously a change in direction will be required at some point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    If only you guys applied the same rule to all composers as you do to Powell, life would be so peaceful!

Meaning?

Edit: damn you Anthony for replying so friggin quickly! I have to edit my posts.... you made me EDIT my POSTS. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Do you think Powell's sound has gotten stale, Southall? I can take his ''usual'' for a while longer, but obviously a change in direction will be required at some point.

I think he's still just about got away with it... I don't think he will for much longer though. He's a very promising film composer, but compare his first ten years with the first ten years of other notable composers of the past and present and you find a more limited range. I love his action style, but if the next one is basically another retread of the same idea then I don't think I'll be interested - heard it enough now, time to move on to something fresh. Of course, on the other hand he probably gets hired and gets told "I want this to sound like Bourne", so that's what he must do, so it's tricky.

Steven, it was just a flippant remark that Demetris had already made. I don't really understand why it's great that Powell always sounds the same, but people (I know, not you) rip into Horner for the same thing. Animation represents a very significant portion of Powell's output and there's no great difference between the scores; it represents a tiny minority of Horner's output, yet his animated scores have far more variety. And it's Horner who gets the criticism for repeating himself. That's all I meant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And people didn't liked X-Men 3 because it didn't sound like Powell enough. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I guess I'm not so much of a "critic" as I used to be, and certainly not as much as some of the other fine people of this forum.

I don't expect too much from new scores, I just hope for something good. If it's not, I don't worry about it too much and enjoy the music I already have. My view on film music has seriously relaxed over the past few months, and I don't have anything major against any particular composer. This isn't meant to sound like a preach, I'm simply stating my view on film music! dizzy

I like what I like and I love what I love. What I don't, I don't worry about.