• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'll have a listen to expanded Eraser whenever that one arrives, which is anything but boring. cool

The expanded treatment doesn't help that score.

-Erik-

Quite the reverse!

People can say what they want about Captain America, but if you want proof that Silvestri can still write a decent theme, surely you need look no further than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I didn't say that Silvestri can't write a theme... the Captain America theme is BRILLIANT. It's just that everything else surrounding it stunk!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'll have a listen to expanded Eraser whenever that one arrives, which is anything but boring. cool

The expanded treatment doesn't help that score.

-Erik-

Quite the reverse!

Huh? You now LIKE the expanded Eraser release from La La Land? That's not what you said in your review.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    He means, it does quite the reverse of helping the score.
    So it harms the score.
    So he probably doesn't like it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sorry, I admit that was confusing!
  1. I imagine he did the same thing to Silvestri that he did to Newman -- kept buting his nose in, telling him what to and not to do, and might have even fallen in love with some temp tracking.

I'll bet there's three or four really good cues, then the rest is "pass" to "okay".

Scribe:
    False. It's just the type of movies he is working on. When he asked to write strong themes, i.e. Beowulf or Christmas Carol, he still knocks them out of the park.

False. Any strong theme is instantly memorable. I can't recall a lick of "Beowulf". But most, though not necessarily all (there is no blanket policy on most things), can instantly remember the theme to "Back to the Future".

Hell, I bet more folks remember the theme to "Castaway".

Thye last score I remember the theme to from Alan, is:

"Castaway" (2000)

Over a decade ago. Not even his Elfman pastche theme for "Polar Express" stuk with me.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited
    That's certainly different to each. I can instantly recall at least 2 themes from Beowulf, and last time I heard them was approximately 2 years ago. I know I loved the score to Cast Away, but it's not a melody I can fully recall now (only fragments, vaguely. I would recognize it, though).
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't say that Silvestri can't write a theme... the Captain America theme is BRILLIANT. It's just that everything else surrounding it stunk!

-Erik-

I wouldn't say the Captain America theme is brilliant, it's a decent theme, but not in the same lines as the BTTF theme or the ones for The Mummy Returns.

The main problem I have with the theme from CA is that it's so criminally underpowered in most of the tracks its used in, only with the march do we hear its full power and does it become memorable.

And I think Captain America should find the guy responsible for leaving the march off the album and give him a good kick in the nuts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wouldn't say the Captain America theme is brilliant, it's a decent theme, but not in the same lines as the BTTF theme or the ones for The Mummy Returns.

Oh, I think it's up there. The issue, like you said, is the application of theme through out the score which is horrendous!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    False. Any strong theme is instantly memorable.

Ok, for future reference I will assume that when you say "strong theme" you mean "memorable to you" and that will avoid any future confusion.

For the record, I remember and can hum Beowulf's themes off the top of my head, but I barely remember the structure of Back to the Future's theme, let alone the melody.

So obviously this is utterly subjective lol.

To me, strong theme just means, long-form and emotionally charged. I'd say the Back to the Future theme is a strong theme even though I can't remember it and think its annoying. lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Somebody please take that fake drum set and loops away from Silvestri please!!! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited
    yeah

Wait a minute. Are you saying something negative about a film score? wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No. I am saying that whilst i was bombarding my neighbors with the excellent Avengers Ensemble main theme last night, the ridiculous 80's Casio keyboards' set came in and they started pointing and laughing at me. Thank you Mr.Silvestri.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh... I agree 100% Those electronics are awful!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Somebody please take that fake drum set and loops away from Silvestri please!!! smile

And to think that back in the day he used a top percussionist ( can't remember his name but he played with modern jazz band Weather Report who were renowened for only using the very best musicians ) for the likes of PREDATOR 2.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh... I agree 100% Those electronics are awful!

-Erik-

+ Billions

Welcome back to the 80s.

Not that there's anything wrong with the 80s electronic, but it's just completely inappropriate in this case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012
    Interview with Silvestri, primarily about The Avengers:

http://www.hollywood.com/content/news_d … p;dir=next

I love what he says about temp tracks: "It’s like a hammer. In the hands of a craftsman, it’s an instrument of great beauty and creativity. In the hands of a homicidal maniac, it’s a weapon of death."
  3. Some new reviews, including The Avengers one:

- The Avengers
    - Father of the Bride
    - The Parent Trap

enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Flight

Zemeckis, planes, Denzel Washington, Silvestri.

Sold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVNNR6CEOE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    Intrigueing but a DVD watch for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Yes, a return for Zemeckis to live action filming and here's hoping the film will be another classy example of his obvious talent. Love the man's films, Contact being one that is very special to me.

I have a good guess Silvestri will feel inspired for once, after all the boring crap for other directors he has done lately.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap,let's hope so! 'Cause he's another one of the "good and old" like JNH that come along as completely tired and bored by it all lately, with the very few exceptions that is.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Flight

Zemeckis, planes, Denzel Washington, Silvestri.

Sold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVNNR6CEOE

must say, another quality like trailer
    looks awesome
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    Yeah, I look forward to this one. The film, that is. It's about time Zemeckis did something other than that terrible-looking motion capture stuff. I'm not too fond of Silvestri's music with a few exceptions. I hope he surprises me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    sad I love Zemeckis motion capture stuff. And you can't deny that most of Silvestri's best scores in the past decade were for Zemeckis motion capture stuff. When was the last time he wrote themes as moving as those in Beowulf for a live action film?
  6. Alright, I won't deny that Silvestri's best scores in the past decade were for Zemeckis motion capture stuff. That, to me, is not saying much. I've only seen one-and-a-half of his animated films, but I can say that they just look like garbage. All those dead-eyed zombies are hard for me to watch. Compare his animations with Tintin. Now THERE's a great-looking motion capture animation. I welcome Zemeckis's return to live action. And if Silvestri has written his best scores in the last decade for Zemeckis, he'll add another score of similar quality for this film. I submit that it was the director rather than the medium of film that inspired those scores.
  7. christopher wrote
    Alright, I won't deny that Silvestri's best scores in the past decade were for Zemeckis motion capture stuff. That, to me, is not saying much. I've only seen one-and-a-half of his animated films, but I can say that they just look like garbage. All those dead-eyed zombies are hard for me to watch. Compare his animations with Tintin. Now THERE's a great-looking motion capture animation. I welcome Zemeckis's return to live action. And if Silvestri has written his best scores in the last decade for Zemeckis, he'll add another score of similar quality for this film. I submit that it was the director rather than the medium of film that inspired those scores.

It's a bit harsh when saying that animation such as The Polar Express or Beowulf look like garbage, when the technology was still in its infancy. Besides they films still look the business and sometimes the animation may be a bit off, but sometimes is so downright real I'm still amazed by it: Beowulf being the prime example. The Polar Express is a wonderful film because it's a real heartfelt story told by a great storyteller, and the technique of performance capture (not motion capture with these films) is just another way of telling that story. It has the best Silvestri score from the past decade IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    Well as much as i liked the story of beowulf and its music, still it indeed looks pretty giggle-inducing. And there was stuff even before it that didn't even look that cheesy. But cool movie though, and music was excellent. Polar Express didn't do anything for me at all. I am happy he's returning to 'regular' movie-making though. All those gimmicks of technology - and particularly the absolutely worthless 3D fashion (At most cases) - seems to usually steer filmakers' focus away from actual, well, film-making.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    With the motion capture animated stuff, I forgive the little problems with the character animation and eyes because the medium allows the artists to create rich, lush, complex sets and set pieces that would be more or less impossible in the real world. Like the "journey of the ticket" or the roller coaster train in Polar Express (or the whole North Pole section!), like the final battle in Beowulf, those scenes could never be done in a live action film. They violate both the laws of physics and the laws of "how much cool stuff it is economically feasible for me to stuff into this set?" (only in Lord of the Rings do I remember seeing such convincingly lush fantasy sets as you see in the Zemeckis animated films, and those were pretty darn expensive). Its like watching someone's dream, and that's why I love it.