• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote
    Alright, I won't deny that Silvestri's best scores in the past decade were for Zemeckis motion capture stuff. That, to me, is not saying much. I've only seen one-and-a-half of his animated films, but I can say that they just look like garbage. All those dead-eyed zombies are hard for me to watch. Compare his animations with Tintin. Now THERE's a great-looking motion capture animation. I welcome Zemeckis's return to live action. And if Silvestri has written his best scores in the last decade for Zemeckis, he'll add another score of similar quality for this film. I submit that it was the director rather than the medium of film that inspired those scores.

It's a bit harsh when saying that animation such as The Polar Express or Beowulf look like garbage, when the technology was still in its infancy.

Yes, I shouldn't have been insulting. What bothers me most about those films (and I'm really only talking animation here - I have no problem with the story telling or performances) is that it took a technology pioneered by Peter Jackson (with Golum) and did it a great deal worse. None of Zemeckis's characters look as convincing as Golum did, not even in A CHRISTMAS CAROL, which was made an eternity after THE TWO TOWERS in special effects years. When TINTIN came out and looked so amazing it left me baffled as to why Zemeckis and his team can't seem to figure out how to make people look like people.

By the way, did Zemeckis have anything to do with MARS NEEDS MOMS? It had the look of one of his films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's a bit harsh when saying that animation such as The Polar Express or Beowulf look like garbage, when the technology was still in its infancy. Besides they films still look the business and sometimes the animation may be a bit off, but sometimes is so downright real I'm still amazed by it: Beowulf being the prime example. The Polar Express is a wonderful film because it's a real heartfelt story told by a great storyteller, and the technique of performance capture (not motion capture with these films) is just another way of telling that story. It has the best Silvestri score from the past decade IMO.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My problem with these films isn't the technology employed, but that they look like bloody Coca Cola commercials, and about as saccharine as the drink itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My problem with these films isn't the technology employed, but that they look like bloody Coca Cola commercials, and about as saccharine as the drink itself.

I agree.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

You're talking about Transformers right? wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Those too! vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't understand the Coca Cola commercial comparision when talking about The Polar Express, Beowulf or A Christmas Carol?

confused

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Must be the bloomy lighting and high-contrast colors...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I might be the only one....but I loved Beowulf. Dark, decadent, even depressing at some points. And one of the best finales I've ever seen in a big production.

Music wise, IMO is one of the last truly fine Silvestri scores.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    I might be the only one....but I loved Beowulf. Dark, decadent, even depressing at some points. And one of the best finales I've ever seen in a big production.

I haven't seen BEOWULF, I love the score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Watch it!

bhangra
    bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Beowulf is a WILD ride! It's a gritty, over the top, violent, bloody movie that reminds me of those dark, gory fantasy epics made in the 80's! And The Seduction scene is beautiful... especially Silvestri cue.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll probably buy it ( I've seen it new and incredibly cheap in a local store ) and give it away if I don't like it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Beowulf is a WILD ride! Gritty, over the top, violent, bloody film that reminds me of those dark gory fantasy epics made in the 80's! And The Seduction scene is beautiful... especially Silvestri cue.

-Erik-

And now Erik has sold me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    You only needed a little push smile
  2. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote
    Alright, I won't deny that Silvestri's best scores in the past decade were for Zemeckis motion capture stuff. That, to me, is not saying much. I've only seen one-and-a-half of his animated films, but I can say that they just look like garbage. All those dead-eyed zombies are hard for me to watch. Compare his animations with Tintin. Now THERE's a great-looking motion capture animation. I welcome Zemeckis's return to live action. And if Silvestri has written his best scores in the last decade for Zemeckis, he'll add another score of similar quality for this film. I submit that it was the director rather than the medium of film that inspired those scores.

It's a bit harsh when saying that animation such as The Polar Express or Beowulf look like garbage, when the technology was still in its infancy.

Yes, I shouldn't have been insulting. What bothers me most about those films (and I'm really only talking animation here - I have no problem with the story telling or performances) is that it took a technology pioneered by Peter Jackson (with Golum) and did it a great deal worse. None of Zemeckis's characters look as convincing as Golum did, not even in A CHRISTMAS CAROL, which was made an eternity after THE TWO TOWERS in special effects years. When TINTIN came out and looked so amazing it left me baffled as to why Zemeckis and his team can't seem to figure out how to make people look like people.

By the way, did Zemeckis have anything to do with MARS NEEDS MOMS? It had the look of one of his films.

A Christmas Carol wasn't done to be realistic looking, it's a very stylized animated version of the book. The characters still managed to portray realistic emotions, thanks to the performance capture even though they don't look at all human or realistic.

Beowulf has some pretty startling moments of spot on character animation. A little detail here and there of the way they move, interact and react. It isn't always spot on, but for the most part, it is. And there's a nude Angelina Jolie in it, how can you not love that? dizzy

And isn't Mars Needs Moms the film that bombed and made Zemeckis' production company go bankrupt? Why he has returned to live action?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Marselus wrote

You're not the only one. I have it on blu-ray where the animation really shines.

And for those not convinced of the quality of animation: My dad started to watch this one time and my mother had to convince him he was not looking at a real Anthony Hopkins or Robin Wright. He didn't believe they were all animated. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Beowulf is a WILD ride! Gritty, over the top, violent, bloody film that reminds me of those dark gory fantasy epics made in the 80's! And The Seduction scene is beautiful... especially Silvestri cue.

-Erik-

And now Erik has sold me. cool

I say don't hold your hopes too high.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

I agree.

I do quite like Silvestri's scores for them, though. I disagree that they're his best work of the last decade (that would be Captain America and The Avengers) but they're good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For as ghastly as the films are, I do agree that the scores have something worthwhile to offer (although I still maintain that Silvestri's last truly fine score was THE MUMMY RETURNS about a decade ago and then some).

For example, the POLAR EXPRESS theme has vibes of Roger Hodgson's "Lovers in the Wind":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhkbdaho … re=related
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    Thor wrote
    For as ghastly as the films are, I do agree that the scores have something worthwhile to offer (although I still maintain that Silvestri's last truly fine score was THE MUMMY RETURNS about a decade ago and then some).

The Polar Express was his last truly great score. Lots of great stuff on the Academy promo that didn't make it onto the criminally short (score wise) commercial release.

Thor wrote
    For example, the POLAR EXPRESS theme has vibes of Roger Hodgson's "Lovers in the Wind":

I don't hear it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't hear it!

-Erik-

Just a little bit of stylistic similarity in the glockenspiel/melody thingie.

"Seeing is Believing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcWhj4xgaU

And from about 0:50 in the Hodgson clip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Straws. You're grasping at them! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Straws. You're grasping at them! wink

-Erik-

It's no accusation or anything. It's just a personal association I made when I first heard the Silvestri piece. Of course, it's just a random coincidence in the musical scheme of things.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Since becoming pretty obsessed with the score to 'The Avengers' I've recently been revisiting Silvestri's score to Captain America a lot. I find it a very rich and dense score like Avengers, and I'm getting a lot more out of it than I did on it's initial release. It's a shame the end credits piece 'Captain America March' wasn't recorded in time for the CD release, I know you can download it on US iTunes but does anyone know if there's anywhere to legally download it in the UK?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    If you've presumably already acquired the album through legal means, does this not reduce the moral ambiguity in downloading the Captain America March through somewhat less legal means? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    You could always record it off of the DVD...
  5. You can listen to the score to "Flight" at the Paramount site now:
    http://www.paramountguilds.com/flight/#url=score

I haven't had a chance, so no personal opinion yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    I only want it if its like Castaway. 20 minutes of standard suspense/action music from Silvestri holds little interest for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    Hmm, I listened to a few minutes here and there. Not entirely unlike Castaway...same piano and strings feel...but more restrained and less in-your-face. The last track builds to a nice warm climax though. That one at least is a keeper track.