• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
  1. And Synchrotones reviews "Blown Away", recently released by Intrada.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  2. Synchrotones wrote
    And Synchrotones reviews "Blown Away", recently released by Intrada.

I don't like the album presentation. I was always amazed how well Silvestri's score worked in the film, but this album presentation brings 30 minutes of uninteresting underscore, hurting the experience more than I would like. Plus the fact that the 2 final action pieces are basically note for note the same.

I love this score, but only how I would present it. Not like this.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. My two cents and three stars on Cosmos Volume 2.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014
    I have been listening a lot to COSMOS lately, mostly due to that I am in awe of the series. The story telling details, the finesse, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's enthusiastic and clear rhetorical style, the music, the humour, the precision and care taken in every detail. I'm absolutely bedazzled by all the talent and love put into the series. And the greatest thing about it is how it delivers both science and culture simultaneously.

Silvestri's music does a wonderful job when he goes electronic. I must say I find the orchestral music somewhat mainstream and un-engaging, but the way the electronic music builds up some of the animation scenes in the episode about C.C. Patterson (a man who's journey everyone should know something about!), is nothing short of greatness of cosmic proportions!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote
    I have been listening a lot to COSMOS lately, mostly due to that I am in awe of the series. The story telling details, the finesse, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's enthusiastic and clear rhetorical style, the music, the humour, the precision and care taken in every detail. I'm absolutely bedazzled by all the talent and love put into the series. And the greatest thing about it is how it delivers both science and culture simultaneously.

Silvestri's music does a wonderful job when he goes electronic. I must say I find the orchestral music somewhat mainstream and un-engaging, but the way the electronic music builds up some of the animation scenes in the episode about C.C. Patterson (a man who's journey everyone should know something about!), is nothing short of greatness of cosmic proportions!

I agree with you. We discussed some of this awhile back in this thread. I think some of the electronic riffs (especially for the 'science' stuff) is really engaging. It's not surprising that Silvestri knows how to compose for synths, based on his brilliant 80s efforts in that mode, but that he's able to do so in a more contemporary style was a bit surprising to me. Like you, I'm rather underwhelmed by the orchestral bits, which come off as lots of glittering textures with several brass outbursts that don't really go anywhere. It's more "sound" than "structure", if you will.

As for the series, I'm a little torn. I like what they're trying to do, but a lot of it is often done TOO pedagogical for my taste, plus it's often littered with all those big, empty "American" words and phrases that come off as rather pompous to European audiences -- a bit like those huge president speeches you see in Hollywood films.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    If I had one negative comment about the series, it would probably be that excessively pedagogical content you mention. Sometimes I feel it can get a little bit too aggressive and "preachy", also for me. Still, I can understand that they are EXTREMELY wary of the "were you there?" arguments of young-earth creationists and want to make their case as air tight and informed as possible - without getting too technical. That's certainly the impression I have from seeing the television debates on youtube with Seth MacFarlane and Neil Degrasse Tyson. But I do feel they take it as far as it can go without losing a mainstream audience.
  4. MAC AND ME has finally been released (though has since sold out). Maybe not the greatest film, but the score is great fun. Quintessential Silvestri, in a good way. Reviewed by/at Synchrotones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014 edited
    I have seen the first three episodes of COSMOS now and I completely agree with Mark and Thor about the series and the music. Very engaging, and even though most of it we/I know, there's still awe and beauty to how it is presented. Great stuff, but nothing else can be expected about the subject because the cosmos and evolution are awesome. I don't see anything wrong or outdated about the electronic music though. It sounds rather fresh and mostly it supports the more exciting parts of the series.
    Kazoo
  5. Synchrotones' Soundtrack Reviews is celebrating its first birthday today!!! There will be reviews every day this week!

Today, aside from a celebratory thank-you note, there is a review of Alan Silvestri's 2CD Deluxe Edition of THE ABYSS.

Thank you all for visiting the site over the last year and make sure you stay tuned via @synchrotones or facebook.
  6. Just a few thoughts on Cosmos volumes 3 and 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    My thoughts on Cosmos, 1-2-3-4 : vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    My thoughts on Cosmos, 1-2-3-4 : vomit

That's rather harsh. There's some great individual tracks there (especially dig the electronic stuff), but yeah -- overall, there's no real structure or thematic hooks to latch on to. Basically loads of "glittering" orchestral textures. So I agree that it's somewhat overrated (from the feedback I've seen), but it's not bad either. It's fairly middle of the road, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Most of the feedback I've seen has said it's fairly middle of the road, I think (apart from Demetris who mysteriously hates it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now Playing: CAST AWAY. Now THIS is Silvestri in top form. Pure bliss from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    (especially dig the electronic stuff)

lol

Silvestri + electronics... lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Now Playing: CAST AWAY. Now THIS is Silvestri in top form. Pure bliss from start to finish.

From start to finish isn't very long, is it? Isn't it a single cue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

No, there's quite a bit more. I have a 25-minute promo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

lol

Well, hope you had a nice laugh. Meanwhile, if you'd known your film music history, you'd be aware that Silvestri was a synth pioneer in the 80s (whether you like the music or not) and wrote some absolutely fantastic pieces for Synclavier, in particular. Huge fan! I was also positively surprised to see that he hadn't lost his touch in those particular COSMOS cues, although I found the orchestral cues rather 'meh' as a whole.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sorry, 'twas a cheap shot indeed.

I've heard some of Silvestri's 80s synth stuff (Clan of the Cave Bear, Cat's Eye, The Delta Force), and other than the odd catchy theme it's all resolutely not for me. I do wish people would not conflate "revolutionary" "pioneering" "different" etc. with "good music" as often. See Trent Reznor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Of pretty much the same cue on repeat.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

lol

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Of pretty much the same cue on repeat.

-Erik-

Indeed. Quite lovely theme though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, pretty much. But there is enough variation of and between the thematic statements -- and theme itself so gobsmackingly beautiful -- that it keeps the interest up. 25 minutes seems to be the perfect length.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014
  9. It's finally happened. Junkie XL has replaed a score by Silvestri:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/12/04 … more-29036

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014 edited
    I like Junkie XL (or JXL, which I call him -- it ages me!), but sorry to hear that Silvestri was booted off. Silvestri needs the projects he can get these days, and hopefully inspiring projects.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Parts of Divergent were quite promising, so I'm a little disappointed, but perhaps not as much as someone like Justin would be. I do hope Mr. XL can eventually rid himself of that bloody Man of Steel percussion, though. crazy
  11. I still have to find something I could call his style, but I think that he's doing whatever he can to actually drop the Junkie XL moniker and start scoring under his real name.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. I.P. Scorely?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.