• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I still have to find something I could call his style, but I think that he's doing whatever he can to actually drop the Junkie XL moniker and start scoring under his real name.

Agreed. Or go back to JXL. His current nom-de-plume is too easy for haters to make fun of.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014 edited
    Silvestri's capable of great things but he does sometimes churn some junk out too. (Red 2!?) Junkie's capabilities so far have eluded me.
  1. Red 2 was dreadful. Made G.I. Joe and The A-Team look like Back to the Future and Judge Dredd by comparison.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited
    JUDGE DREDD
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Every new Silvestri is good news. Even so I'll check the original album to decide whether to buy this new edition.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. it's a great score, any new material will definitely kick ass no matter what
    just put that score in the recent Dredd remake and you have at least a decent film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited
    While I like the original film -- and remember the score very well from that (especially the opening main title sequence), I never QUITE grabbed on to the soundtrack. It's good, don't get me wrong (and it has a couple of smokin' songs too, like Leftfield's "Release the Pressure"), but I don't play it as often as I should. I've owned the physical release on again and off again over the years, but now I only have it in digitial file format and I'm pleased with that. This is not for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Help launch a unique recording and compilation of Silvestri's music
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … -2015/2064
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Help launch a unique recording and compilation of Silvestri's music
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … -2015/2064

So they can't afford to make a CD themselves this year, like in previous editions? Have there been cutbacks for this edition?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    Yes. One of the projects they could not afford was the CD. Unfortunate, because they've released some good stuff. Angelo Badalament's cd is the best one I think (rereleased by Varèse).
    Kazoo
  4. I'll support this, I like things like this or the Kritzerland campaign where you're supporting a label/company but essentially just preordering a cd you want which otherwise might not exist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    The campaign makes it sound like it's going to be the highlights, but we already have the highlights. On other compilations as well. So it would be nice if they could add a couple of actually unreleased tracks or unreleased concert suites.

Any Silvestri fans here that could come up with their main want list?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Any Silvestri fans here that could come up with their main want list?

Are you talking about which scores we want, or individual tracks?

I have pretty much all released Silvestris out there that I would like to have. However, I would be delighted to have more of the unreleased 80s synth scores out there. And I'm very curious about his 1972 debut THE DOBERMAN GANG.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I asked the press office about the tracklist and if there would be rare items or special choices, but there's no definitive selection yet. A pity. They'll offer the opportunity to make last choices to the ones who help fund (I don't know how this will be organised). They'll also try to get in a piece from his latest; The Walk.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    I have pretty much all released Silvestris out there that I would like to have. However, I would be delighted to have more of the unreleased 80s synth scores out there. And I'm very curious about his 1972 debut THE DOBERMAN GANG.

Obviously this is all about an orchestral recording, but it might not be a bad idea to request an orchestral rendition of his best or most important synth scores. I have no idea whatsoever what they are though smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    there's no definitive selection yet. A pity.

That's good, right? Maybe we can weigh in?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, I rather meant that they would release a "guideline" tracklist for the cd. But I'll support it for sure there have been nice releases done by them, and I try to support the festival.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote

Obviously this is all about an orchestral recording, but it might not be a bad idea to request an orchestral rendition of his best or most important synth scores. I have no idea whatsoever what they are though smile

I was talking about what Silvestri I wanted in general. I don't really want any orchestral rendition of his 80s synth scores (although this approach worked reasonably well on the Martinez album last year, Silvestri is a different kettle of fish).

I don't really know what I would like to see on this Ghent CD, but a fair mix of big hits and slightly smaller films would be neat, like the wonderful VOYAGES compilation that Varese did way back in the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'd love to hear a fully orchestral version of the the theme from The Delta Force, actually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I chimed in to get the album, great kickstarter. I do wonder why they didn't get a label on board for this one like they did last year with Milan?

Thor wrote

I was talking about what Silvestri I wanted in general. I don't really want any orchestral rendition of his 80s synth scores (although this approach worked reasonably well on the Martinez album last year, Silvestri is a different kettle of fish).

I would really to hear their take on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3etlivfpa8

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote

I would really to hear their take on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3etlivfpa8

biggrin

Ha, ha...indeed. Good luck, orchestra!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015
    The crowd funded cd organised by the Film Fest of Gent with music from Alan Silvestri
    http://www.filmmusicsite.com/nl/soundtr … i?id=44508

1. The Polar Express Suite 6:35
    2. Forrest Gump Suite 9:17
    3. Mousehunt Suite 5:43
    4. The Quick and the Dead Main Theme 3:50
    5. Back to the Future Suite 5:31
    6. Cast Away End Credits 4:53
    7. Predator End Credits 4:06
    8. Cosmos A Spacetime Odyssey Suite 7:18
    9. The Avengers 2:12
    10. The Mummy Returns 7:38

Has anyone co-funded the cd? I did.
    Kazoo
  6. Yep, I did so I should have a cd coming my way soon. From the track list it looks like a nice compilation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've received a (digital) promo copy of the album, and it's nice enough. All of the music is familar, of course, but the Brussels orchestra performs well. They've become quite adept at film music over the years.

I did not co-fund the CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How did you manage to get a promo copy? Is it out yet?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a nice compilation but I'm surprised it doesn't have a few more "unusual" things on it, or even fresh, unreleased suites from familiar scores. Surely most of the crowd-funders will already own everything on it or very nearly so, in identical arrangement (albeit different performance).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    How did you manage to get a promo copy? Is it out yet?

No. It's an advance copy from Silva Screen. I was surprised to see them doing the distribution.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Looking forward to hearing it. I co-funded too.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015
    The only weak entry is Predator and I've yet to hear a re-recording do that theme justice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015