• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scores are (ideally) composed with a narrative in mind

Yeah, but film score narratives and film score album narratives are two completely different things.

Because it's a different medium? By that logic, an audiobook shouldn't follow the same order as the book itself. Right?

Actually, a more relevant analogy is book to film. Two different media, and you need to adapt the book to fit into a film format. Same story, different media with different properties. Omit some sequences, interchange others. You have to do the same with soundtracks.

No worries....I can go on and on about this, and I rarely see any new arguments from the opposite side that I don't already have ready-made counter-arguments for in my "bag of tricks". But I doubt it's very interesting to anyone else.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015
    You're an idiot.
  1. Steven, be sure never to join the corps diplomatique or world war III will be unavoidable.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    You're an idiot.

Most definitely. But I'm still right.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    You're an idiot.

Most definitely. But I'm still right.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good God, I don't understand this weird niche preoccupation with how a soundtrack works as fitting to the film, as part of the film but divorced from its limiting visual aspects or as a standalone musical work!

Everyone knows that the only proper way to enjoy a soundtrack is to buy it on vinyl and hang it on your wall.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Everyone knows that the only proper way to enjoy a soundtrack is to buy it on vinyl and hang it on your wall.

Only if it's still sealed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Can someone create a random "album program" generator cause I have a feeling whatever the track order or tracks used, Thor will end up defending it simply on the basis of it being an album program. wink

Now in regards to the expansions of parts 2 and 3, this might be a case where I'll go for the download option as oppose to buying the CDs as I can only take so much BTTF and the first one was plenty for me.
  2. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yeah, but film score narratives and film score album narratives are two completely different things.

Because it's a different medium? By that logic, an audiobook shouldn't follow the same order as the book itself. Right?

Actually, a more relevant analogy is book to film. Two different media, and you need to adapt the book to fit into a film format. Same story, different media with different properties. Omit some sequences, interchange others. You have to do the same with soundtracks.

Yes, but even while adapting a book to film, you can't just take random sequences from the climax and fling them throughout the movie. Some subtle reshuffling, maybe, but imagine if Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers kept cutting to chunks of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Yeah, no.
  3. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I'm between two worlds myself here.

When it comes to certain scores, I'm definitely on Thor's side. I mean, I wouldn't like The Last Samurai any other way, even if I know there is a complete boot somewhere. The album, with it's inter-mixing of stuff, tells the story of the film better than the film itself does and frankly, in the film, I don't even think that it's the best piece of structure as a film score Hans has ever done. Some short albums are also perfect, Beyond Rangoon for example.

On the other hand, there are certain examples where complete and chronological do the trick in the appreciation of a score. I remember having a total reimagining of Rambo after the C&C program released by Intrada (I may have done without the missing two minutes of the music, but the score's ingenuity is definitely in the way the themes shape out and intertwine and lead to the finale at the end). I feel the same with Golden Age scores and I shutter to think that there were actually 30-minute LPs of them at the time. They'd lose the whole ingenuity and charm of them due, again, to the ways that themes are developed throughout the work. With Zimmer, I had a total re-appreciation of The Peacemaker when I first heard it in complete form (in fact, long before the last year release of it), which not only emphasized all the thumping in the score, but also missed out on most of the emotional and suspense material, just giving two (!) arrangements of the beautiful Sarajevo theme which is much more often used in the score itself. One of Rona/Zimmer's worst hours in terms of album programming. Crimson Tide is a mixed bag for me, as while I wouldn't want the complete score on album (that "fire in the galley" cue is downright bad piece of music hands down, even though it's fantastic in the film itself), I don't fully agree with the selection of the cues (the "sinking Alabama" ambient which may not be to everybody's ears, to delicately put it, I'd replace it with the cue where Hackman is relieved of command... and I seriously miss the main title cue)

I wonder what Thor thinks about Interstellar. That album is not the complete presentation (to the chagrin of most of fans, due to a single cue, namely No Time For Caution, I didn't miss it much), but it's probably the only Zimmer score released in a chronological program.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wonder what Thor thinks about Interstellar. That album is not the complete presentation (to the chagrin of most of fans, due to a single cue, namely No Time For Caution, I didn't miss it much), but it's probably the only Zimmer score released in a chronological program.

Funnily enough that is the ONE Zimmer album that works best for me as a "concept album".
    I have many more Zimmers I listen to with great pleasure, but -in my mind- they're always indelibly connected to their visual counterparts. Interstellar is the one album I can enjoy without even thinking of the film (which, incidentally, I really liked).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I feel the same with Golden Age scores and I shutter to think that there were actually 30-minute LPs of them at the time. They'd lose the whole ingenuity and charm of them due, again, to the ways that themes are developed throughout the work.

This is where we part ways completely.
    I will always (massively) prefer a well produced 40 minute album.
    I ahve argued time and again the best soundtrack albums in history are the original LP releases of Rozsa's Quo Vadis and Ben Hur. The sheer onslaught of absolutely brillliant highlights set these albums at a very lonely zenith in film music history.

Of course I also own the (various) expanded and complete score, but while Ben Hur holds up OK (even though it is vvveeeeeeeerrryyyyy longgggg), the sheer oodling about and repetition in Quo Vadis makes it a 3.5 out of 5 score at best. The 'highlight' albums referenced earlier though are off the scale though. No point even trying to rate them.

So with many of the complete originals or extended rerecordings, as (academically) fascinating I find them, after a first listen I whittle them down to 36-40 minutes of highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

I love it. A soundtrack doesn't HAVE TO be non-chronological at all costs. In this case, each cue works wonderfully alone, and also in combination (and Zimmer has picked out the most representative cues). It ebbs and flows, much like waves in an ocean. The important thing for me is only that it isn't just a "copy-paste" job, but rather that the composer and/or producer has made some effort in thinking "how can I present this for the best listening experience". There needs to be some adaptation and aesthetic consideration going on.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I think Interstellar is one of Hans' finest. But 'No Time for Caution' is essential in my appreciation of it, and not the one that was released either. I'm talking about a fan edit that is as close to the film version as possible. I just made my own almost 80 minute album and it plays brilliantly.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Silvestri and Bob Gale interviewed for "Back to the Future" day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19x0e8-g8Is
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Updated the Predator 2 review
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Dude, you need to update the cover image. wink

The first Predator is totally awesome, but this is a worthy sequel (Truly Dead !!!). Silvestri was in top form during that period (The Abyss also being one of my favorites).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Dude, you need to update the cover image. wink

The first Predator is totally awesome, but this is a worthy sequel (Truly Dead !!!). Silvestri was in top form during that period (The Abyss also being one of my favorites).

done smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2016
    According to his official website, Silvestri's doing the two-part Avengers: Infinity War.

Blimey!

http://www.alansilvestri.com/news-alan- … ii-123.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    According to his official website, Silvestri's doing the two-part Avengers: Infinity War.

Blimey!

Meh. He's already been there, done that. I'd rather see him do smaller stuff where gets to do more laidback, textural stuff -- at least a lowkey drama of some sort. Films like FLIGHT. He hasn't really done anything good in the blockbuster/bombast style since THE MUMMY RETURNS or arguably BEOWULF.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I say: once an action composer, always an action composer.

Maybe we can hope for a return to his true form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2016 edited
    Southall wrote

Blimey!

Oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes. I pray to Odin he doesn't get replaced. And if he must, I hope it's Elfman.
  10. Very exciting, hope this comes to pass. His 'Avengers' score is one of my very favourite of the last 5 years.
  11. Avengers was a bit of a letdown, except for the theme, so here's hoping he'll improve on that one and the slightly better Captain America.
  12. Hmm. That is the composer's website, but the source it cites is imdb, so I'm not sure how seriously to take this. We'll see what ends up happening. I wouldn't be against it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's hopeful news largely for the fact that Silvestri would get to expand on the material he wrote for the first film (at least I assume so... this is Marvel we're talking about). It's one of the most recognisable themes in the Marvel universe, so it would be silly not to re-use it. But, again, Marvel.

Whoever gets the job, Marvel in their infinite wisdom will trample on creativity, so I would rather it go to Silvestri just for the sake of continuity if anything.
  13. Southall wrote

Blimey!

I hope this is absolutely true. Avengers may not have been the best he's ever written, but in the moments it needed to, it gave me filmmusic goosebumps. I still adore the moment the Hulk smashes down the big bad enemy and that main theme surges over all the avengers standing in a circle. Now that was awesome. punk

Hope it's true smile
  14. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I hope this is absolutely true. Avengers may not have been the best he's ever written, but in the moments it needed to, it gave me filmmusic goosebumps. I still adore the moment the Hulk smashes down the big bad enemy and that main theme surges over all the avengers standing in a circle. Now that was awesome.

Agreed. smile
  15. J. Flaherty wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I hope this is absolutely true. Avengers may not have been the best he's ever written, but in the moments it needed to, it gave me filmmusic goosebumps. I still adore the moment the Hulk smashes down the big bad enemy and that main theme surges over all the avengers standing in a circle. Now that was awesome.

Agreed. smile

punk
  16. Nothing in The Avengers is as awesome as Predator 1/2 or Judge Dredd or Eraser or The Mummy Returns. Those are excellent Silvestri action scores. I somehow doubt we will ever hear that sound again from the man.