• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    I am sure others share this opinion too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I never liked Silvestri except two or three great scores (Mummy Returns, Forrest Gump for sure, also I adore the theme from The Bodyguard, though I'm interested what would've John Barry do with the material). To me he often is just loud for loudness sake, which is not good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. He's done a little more than that which I consider very good, such as Judge Dredd, Back to the Future, The Abyss, Predator, and not in the least Contact which is such an sensitive and thoughfully written score, it'll always have a special place in my heart. Of course The Mummy Returns, Forest Gump are great too. And there are many more which have peaked my interest over the years.

And he has always had a knack for coming up with decent to good scores for mediocre to bad films.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Interesting that you consider him so highly. Do others share this opinion? As I've said a few times, I've always found him to be fairly middle-ranking

Back To The Future? Judge Dredd? Predator?

Yeah I think he's earned his place as one of the greats. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Silvestri has always been one of my absolute favourite film composers, THE ABYSS being one of my alltime favourite scores. However, he DOES tend to get a bit "grating" sometimes, when he channels those repetitive "Herrmann clusters" in his action music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Silvestri has always been one of my absolute favourite film composers, THE ABYSS being one of my alltime favourite scores. However, he DOES tend to get a bit "grating" sometimes, when he channels those repetitive "Herrmann clusters" in his action music.

"A bit grating" is putting it mildly! No other film composer is so able to give me a headache! (But you've mentioned The Abyss - I'd forgotten that one - some wonderful moments, though again, I have to say the album isn't consistently good from start to finish.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote
    Interesting that you consider him so highly. Do others share this opinion? As I've said a few times, I've always found him to be fairly middle-ranking

Yeah I think he's earned his place as one of the greats. smile

Not from that combination of two average scores (one with deservedly legendary theme) and one above-average one!
    • CommentAuthorBigMacGyver
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited

Yeah I think he's earned his place as one of the greats.

I second that and would like to add his knack for tackling a wide range of musical styles easily. Silvestri can go from light jazz to mambo to orchestral music and back within seconds. Soapdish or who framed roger rabit are both wonderful examples for his stylistic variability, but whatever he does, the silvestri sound is always right there.

The list of scores that people have missed but that are definitely great is long too.

His magnum opus for me is Siegfried & Roy! Powerful score and if you see the film... you just wonder where all this greatness is coming from that he stuffed into this fireworks. Others worth mentioning are blown away (excellent use of woodwinds, flutes), Critical Condition (charming jazz and swing score), the bodyguard (depressive, yet beautiful noir score) and super mario bros (one of the oddest scores i have ever heard and one of my alltime favorites for exactly that reason).

Someone who can be as stylistically variable as silvestri while at the same time retaining a personal signature of his own (no matter if its synclavier or jazz) AND always providing recognizeable thematic content belongs into my personal parthenon of the greats, especially if his work rises above the occasion as much as silvestri's does. And I do think that his best may have yet to come. Just not for a project like G.I. Joe. A Christmas Carol on the other hand offers a tad more potential for another alltime silvestri classic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I never liked Silvestri except two or three great scores (Mummy Returns, Forrest Gump for sure, also I adore the theme from The Bodyguard, though I'm interested what would've John Barry do with the material). To me he often is just loud for loudness sake, which is not good.

I think Silvestri is better than a 'loudness for loudness sake' composer, it's more that the 'loudness' scores are competing with noisy souless storyless action noisefest films of no more merit than a forgettable pop corn munch and let's go home and not remember a sodding thing except the film was forgettable crap goddamn but it's time for bed wake-up oh hell my wallet is lighter by 20 quid how crap is that thank fuck I didn't buy a runny arse hot-dog in a dry arse wet bun that's been decaying since Hadrian built a wall to stop Scots infecting the English with haggis which is something the English invented in the first place oh yeah so you didn't know that eh well you do now buckO despite the loudness of Silvestri's scores though to be honest it's not his fault but he should at least offer a bottle of free wine as consolation for taking massive bucks for shitty arse films with no mudderficking merit whatsoever!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Your post just made me cross-eyed.

Damn you. crazy

As for great Silvestri's I would add The Polar Express into the mix, but not as presented on the soundtrack album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Silvestri is the "cheap beer and greasy chips" John Williams. It isn't good for you, or good in itself, but it can seem good under the right conditions. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I never liked Silvestri except two or three great scores (Mummy Returns, Forrest Gump for sure, also I adore the theme from The Bodyguard, though I'm interested what would've John Barry do with the material). To me he often is just loud for loudness sake, which is not good.

What about Mouse hunt, Back to the Future trilogy, Stuart Little, Contact, Predator, The Abyss etc.?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    a bottle of free wine

Yes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very to the point biggrin drink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One does try to distill the essence, doesn't one? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indubitably good sir beer
  5. Sunil wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

What about Mouse hunt, Back to the Future trilogy, Stuart Little, Contact, Predator, The Abyss etc.?

I like Predator, but I don't get "wet" all over it if you know what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sunil wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I like Predator, but I don't get "wet" all over it if you know what I mean.

No, please explain.
  6. lol

I just don't see it as one of the best scores ever written. It's good, it's really good, but I've heard better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think anyone would describe it as such, it's just a damn fine film score.
  7. Oh, here in Poland it is regarded as a total masterpiece and one of the best film scores ever written and all that jazz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, here in Poland it is regarded as a total masterpiece and one of the best film scores ever written and all that jazz.

And Demetris puts it up on par with Silvestri's other masterpieces such as Delta Force and Judgment Night.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    ^
    ROFL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lol

I just don't see it as one of the best scores ever written. It's good, it's really good, but I've heard better.

I think it's OUTSTANDING!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    True! It is an outstanding score, no doubt about it.
  8. Predator is an amazing action film, thanks to a truly original score, which it was at the time. Those rhythms and brass were just unheard of then. I'll love it forever.
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    Varese has now replied and described their plan: they will deny everything and ignore the problem!

Thank you for your note.

We also heard of some web site threads complaining about this disc and have since put effort into getting to the bottom of this. As I'm sure you know, there is a tendency in the message board world to light fires which are not based on facts. There is a great deal of misinformation spread about this way. We did actually receive a few emails about this as well, but the emails from different people were virtually identical ... word for word. We found that a little suspicious.

As a matter of procedure, viewing a spectral analysis of the audio files is never part of the approval process. A mastered album is always carefully listened to by Varèse Sarabande, the album producers and engineers and is approved before it is duplicated. This album went through the same approval process.

I can assure you that, after re-listening to the disc, everyone involved continues to stand behind the sound quality of the disc.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, of course... the bad internet communities! If the G.I. Joe sound quality is something that they stand behind, then they have build their house on sand and instead should learn to listen to the internet community who is trying to improve their product. The consequence out of this will be that I will never ever pre-order a varese sarabande CD anymore until i know for sure that the sound is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly they do not actually deny the allegations (though I should hasten to add I too have only seen allegations...not actual spectrographic analyses. Just people who said they heard of someone who had a friend who really checked...).

But for a company, this response is a very poor one, PR-wise.
    It's the equivalent of a butcher who is confronted by a testing board that his products contain way too many unsanitary bacteriae responds with "hey, it still tastes great!"

I'm sure it does, but that's neither here nor there!
    The question was: "did something go wrong with the mastering (as it appears the bitrate is WAY too low)?"
    There was no answer to that question.

They must know this puts their efforts in a very murky light.

Sadly, for my hard-earned dollar, I am with BigMacGyver: I won't be buying any Varese releases until I have found independent corroboration of a proper mastering.
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    You know, the funny thing is that colosseum confirmed in an earlier mail that there is a problem with the master! Only varese denies everything.

BTW, if you are looking for the spectral analysis, i think i have linked to them in some of the earlier pages of this discussion.

Oh well... i guess there is nothing more we can do about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    True! It is an outstanding score, no doubt about it.

beer kiss
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.